New (old) wheels

jonmad

Been after a decent priced set of Pepperpots for ages to see if a reduction in unsprung weight can help me in autosolos (I've had the toe out set recently as well).

1.8kg per corner lighter than the other wheels I use, which are from a Golf mk4.

2021-10-07 13.46.54 copy.jpg

• Like 1

A reduction in unsprung weight is always beneficial to handling and acceleration.

I too use Audi pepperpot alloys, paid £100 for all four about eight years ago, sold a pair of the oversized tyres they came with for £40 as well, I have a 15" steel spare which came with the car but I'd be happy to use steel wheels if I didn't have the pepperpots, they each feel about 5kg lighter than the 16" VRS alloys which are very heavy indeed.

• Like 2

I didn't even think about selling the tyres that came on them 🥲

Love that green one.  I have the centre caps too but they are a little bit crusty and I don't need them on.

• Like 1

Sorry to hijack this thread but I really like the look of those pepperpots and happen to know where a set are for sale question is they are 15inch now would I be able to fit to my car and would it change anything if so as in the speedo calibration and handling etc ???

Do you have 14" wheels as standard? 

I found this site you can play with to see the differences.  I plugged in 185/60/14s (a guess at your tyre size) vs 195/50/15s and you can see 0.2% difference in speedo, as well as other differences described.

https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?wheel1=185-60-14X6ET38&wheel2=195-50-15X6ET38&fcl=50mm&scl=50mm&wcl=30mm&sr=0mm

Looks like your 2001 car has the same 5x100 pattern as mine (which makes sense as it's the same model)

https://www.wheel-size.com/size/skoda/fabia/2001/#trim-14i-eudm-74

1 hour ago, Stewartasb said:

would I be able to fit to my car and would it change anything if so as in the speedo calibration and handling etc ???

I've got 15" Bohemia/Sport alloys on my Fabia with 195/50/R15 tyres as was specified by the manufacturer. Handles a bit better than the 14s that were living on it before. 

1 hour ago, jonmad said:

Love that green one.  I have the centre caps too but they are a little bit crusty and I don't need them on.

It is a nice car. Sadly not mine. I'm looking at a Fantasy Green one for my next car since I'm quite partial to the Fabia.

1 hour ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

I've got 15" Bohemia/Sport alloys on my Fabia with 195/50/R15 tyres as was specified by the manufacturer. Handles a bit better than the 14s that were living on it before. 

Sounds good does it ride okay gaps at fender etc good ???

49 minutes ago, Stewartasb said:

Sounds good does it ride okay gaps at fender etc good ???

Gaps won't change, they're a standard size which means the overall diameter of the wheel and tyre together is the same.

As Sep says, gaps are fine since it's just the same diameter.

1 hour ago, Stewartasb said:

Sounds good does it ride okay

Car rides much like it did on 14" steels IMO, I had really crap tyres with the 14s then as they came with the car.

18 hours ago, jonmad said:

Been after a decent priced set of Pepperpots for ages to see if a reduction in unsprung weight can help me in autosolos (I've had the toe out set recently as well).

1.8kg per corner lighter than the other wheels I use, which are from a Golf mk4.

2021-10-07 13.46.54 copy.jpg

With the pepperpots you've got a choice of eight different tyre sizes.

185/55R15

185/60R15

185/65R15

195/50R15

195/55R15

195/60R15

205/50R15

205/55R15

185/60R15 is one of the most popular tyre sizes to use with 6Jx15 ET38 5/100 rims. It's a standard combination on the Fabia MK3.

Vredestein Quatrac 6 185/60R15 88H XL

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m138b0s7989p202141/Vredestein_Tyres_All_Season_Car_Vredestein_Quatrac_6_-_185_60_R15_88H_XL_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_C_Wet_Grip%3A_B_NoiseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_70dB

195/55R15 would also be a good choice for the 6Jx15 ET38 5/100 rims.

Vredestein Quatrac 6 195/55R15 89V XL

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m138b0s7992p202143/Vredestein_Tyres_All_Season_Car_Vredestein_Quatrac_6_-_195_55_R15_89V_XL_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_C_Wet_Grip%3A_B_NoiseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_70dB

Edited by Carlston

👍 My go-to is the Michelin PS3 in 195/50R15.  They are the control tyre in the Ginetta Junior series and they get taken up by the motorsport community after they are used for a single test session.  Nearly new for half price.

1 hour ago, jonmad said:

👍 My go-to is the Michelin PS3 in 195/50R15.

I would rather have Uniroyal RainSport 5 205/55R15 88V than 195/50R15. It's a rare size and they're not cheap but compared to the low sidewall height 195/50R15 the ride would be a lot more comfortable.

Uniroyal RainSport 5 205/55R15 88V

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m53b0s289p188338/Uniroyal_Tyres_Car_Uniroyal_RainSport_5_-_205_55_R15_88V_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_C_Wet_Grip%3A_A_NoiseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_71dB

205/55R15 was a size used on the Audi A1 fitted to a 6.5Jx15 ET34 rim.

Audi A1 2010 1.6TDI
Tire 
Rim 

205/55R15 88V 6.5Jx15 ET34 2.1

215/45R16 90V 7Jx16 ET34 2.1

https://www.wheel-size.com/size/audi/a1/2010/

Edited by Carlston

All this theorycrafting.

I've settled on 195 50 15 after trying most other sizes, they're lighter and better handling, also the Fabia 1 has smaller arches than the later cars which can handle a bigger tyre without fouling.

I thought carefully about putting the 16's back on so I could fit 312mm brakes but it's nearly 200kg lighter than a VRS and doesn't need the bigger brakes and the handling is already pin-sharp.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

also the Fabia 1 has smaller arches than the later cars which can handle a bigger tyre without fouling.

Thanks for that, I didn't know the Mk1 Fab has smaller arches compared to the newer ones.

8 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Thanks for that, I didn't know the Mk1 Fab has smaller arches compared to the newer ones.

it was designed in the 90's, which is why there's such a size difference compared to Golf tyres, Audi A1 has plenty of clearance for steamroller sized wheels, townies love 'em, huge wheels and rubber bands for that essential RICE look, never mind the kidney damage and the aquaplaning because they never get out of town anyway, they're obsessed with headlights too even though everywhere they go has street lighting.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sepulchrave said:

they're obsessed with headlights too even though everywhere they go has street lighting.

It's the ones with those HIDs/LEDs retrofits that are so bright that you can see your own future that bug me.

2 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

It's the ones with those HIDs/LEDs retrofits that are so bright that you can see your own future that bug me.

They're overcompensating for the flickering candle between their ears.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1