Superb IV DSG left in neutral issue?

Hi experts!

When at traffic lights etc. I would like to leave my DSG in neutral. This was recommended on this site to prevent expensive DSG gearbox wear (is this true?). However i can't see how to do this with the auto parking brake. I think i can use the manual brake then slide to neutral but it's a faff. 

• Groan 1

In D or S there is no issue stopped when using Autohold (front and rear brakes are on), or having your foot on the brake.

The System / DSG is designed to sit happily doing no harm to it's self.   The clutch does the job it should.

The Stop / Start can be on or off. 

Remember that your car might have the rear Brake Lights on in Autohold the same as if the foot is on the brakes.

Some might go to N and apply the e-Brake / Parking brake if stopped a while with someone behind. 

That does no harm, takes more effort, might have those behind feeling they are waiting on you getting moving.

@BPL

Lots get recommended on here for various vehicles and different DSG's.

Was the recommendation concerning a DSG on a car with Autohold, and an e-Brake and stop / start, and was it about DQ200 Dry Clutch DSG's or Wet Clutch DSG's?

Edited by e-Roottoot

Thanks for the info. Anecdotes referred to DSG 7 as per superb.iv. don't leave it in gear whilst stationary. Would love to see some definitive proof one way or the other. In a manual you obviously shouldn't leave it in gear. brake lights on in queues is a pet hate of mine so I'll have to check if they are on or not

35 minutes ago, BPL said:

Could you explain why?

Because the clutch in a DSG is disengaged when ur stationary - hence its pointless moving it to Neutral.

• Like 1

This person has an IV. These gearboxes have three clutches, 2 in the gearbox as normal plus another which engages or disengages the ICE from the DSG. 

When stopped, nothing in the gearbox will be spinning so there'll be no wear.

When you set off the motion is provided by the e-motor. If you have an empty traction battery, the third clutch engages to use the e-motor to start the ICE a second after, whilst still driving the wheels.

These don't have an alternator, the 12v battery is topped up from the traction battery.

TLDR: leave it in D

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Patent said:

This person has an IV. These gearboxes have three clutches, 2 in the gearbox as normal plus another which engages or disengages the ICE from the DSG. 

When stopped, nothing in the gearbox will be spinning so there'll be no wear.

When you set off the motion is provided by the e-motor. If you have an empty traction battery, the third clutch engages to use the e-motor to start the ICE a second after, whilst still driving the wheels.

These don't have an alternator, the 12v battery is topped up from the traction battery.

TLDR: leave it in D

Exactly.

Even more reason why it's pointless to move the transmission to Neutral in an iV.

The brake light issue is an odd one. I don't think it would take much coding (at the factory) to set it to turn off the brake lights when autohold engages. I imagine being part of the safety setup you would have a hard time accessing the coding with vcds.

Exactly, when a short stop. Many stops might not be short.  Traffic works, gridlock traffic in rush hours, morning or night in inclement weather.  Cats and dogs etc.    If at the back of the queue common sense will want you to have the brake lights on.  As to other situations like not last one there is choice, like Parking brake.   Like no rear fog lights on. 

Edited by e-Roottoot

If you put your foot on the brake itll always illuminate the brake lights with ignition on.

I pull on the handbrake at night because they can be blinding, especially the dynamic tailight on the passat, they're blinding

I had assumed that as my iV creeps forwards (or backwards) whenever it is in D/B and the park brake is taken off, then the park brake is holding it stationary against the electric drive. 

So, I always snick it into N and put the park brake on when stationary in traffic. Rude to sit with the brake lights on - unless ‘tail end Charlie’ and a bit of protection against incoming is required…

I don’t use the auto brake function as at home it sits indoors on the level and P is more than adequate (earthquakes apart). 

(PS There are other iV threads I’ll add to in due course but when I’m near a proper keyboard - too much to type!)

Aside from chucking in a quick handbrake in traffic I see there being no reason not to use autohold on this platform. You come to a stop with the brake, let your foot off the pedal and the car stays put. Traction system knows you are stationary so no need for it to put force into the gearbox, ie no creep. Actually that last bit should be the same if you have any vehicle with stop start and dsg.

• Like 1

I know how the auto hold/auto park brake ‘can’ function - I choose not to have it switched on as I can cope with pulling the park brake switch when I want it and it saves switching the auto hold/auto park off when I get home. 

I don’t like leaving the park brake on if it’s not needed and in a level garage, the car isn’t going anywhere when in P with the park brake off. 

My interest is if there is any genuine factual knowledge that when you’re sat at the lights with the park brake on and in D/B mode, the e drive is actually not trying to move the car forwards against the park brake.

Certainly, when I let the park brake off and take my foot off the brake pedal with D/B selected the car creeps forward. 

I don’t think I’m doing any damage or wearing the gear selector out by going into N….

I think you are missing the point of what the car is doing. It knows you are stationary so doesn't apply any drive, be that from the ICE or the electric motor. If it does in fact creep when you release the EHB, the car is probably assuming that you want to move so applies some drive. 

I appreciate you don't want to give the car any more control than is necessary but you don't have actual control over the brakes when applying or releasing the EHB. You are only pressing a button and sending a command to tell the car to do something. How is that different to leaving autohold active.

The only positive I can see is your garage storage. I get that. However, unless you leave your car for quite some time without using it the benefit is very minimal. And if that was the case maybe the iV isn't a suitable car for your use case? It lends itself to regular use being a EV for local journeys.