Sudden Over Temperature warning

Yeah I know  rang garage today want 110 to run diagnostic I scanned car all ready no fault codes.

It's happened twice now should I run it into the red to make it through a fault code before bringing it to the garage

any advice welcome

Thanks 

54 minutes ago, toe said:

any advice welcome

This is often the case with garages especially dealers where if no fault codes come up on the computer they don't have a clue. The cynic in me says that the diagnostic fee is just a free money maker. I often find open forums like this know the answer better than the people we pay it fix the problem. I had a problem on my old 52 plate Octavia with a faulty mass flow sensor but the garage couldn't find the fault after three visits and kept blaming bad fuel, it took me a bout 30 mins search on Briskoda to solve the issue......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@toeIt would be useful if you said what engine you have and if a manual or DSG. 

There is the alternative to it being the water pump causing the issue if it is a DSG. 

Is the cost of the Diagnosis not more than just reading fault codes, as in carrying out a bit of a look see.

In the UK the Fixed Price Servicing and maintenance is £60 for the first 30 minutes.

So car in and plugged in and that is under 30 minutes if all that gets done,  not going to be 30-60 minutes & the £110 cost Service Desk staff might quote.

You are not paying for them making personal phone calls, having a wee break / cuppa. 

Edited by roottoot

1 hour ago, toe said:

Yeah I know  rang garage today want 110 to run diagnostic I scanned car all ready no fault codes.

It's happened twice now should I run it into the red to make it through a fault code before bringing it to the garage

any advice welcome

Thanks 

Just cause the temp gauge goes red doesn’t mean a fault will be there.

the only sure way is removing the water pump and visually inspecting it. 

but the garage with their tools, knowledge and knowing of the brand should be able to diagnose an over heating problem fairly quick.

95% of the time it’s the water pump with the tdi’s, the other 5% it can be a blockage, valve stuck shut or no coolant.

Yeah sorry it's a 2019  1.9 TDI 150 BHP 

40,000 on the clock. Living in Ireland

Always have a terribly time with Skoda dealers here they can never find a problem with a car that's in warranty it's happened twice so far no problems today garage can't tell me if they would cover any of the cost if it is a failed water pump 

Just now, toe said:

Always have a terribly time with Skoda dealers here they can never find a problem with a car that's in warranty it's happened twice so far no problems today garage can't tell me if they would cover any of the cost if it is a failed water pump 

And a manual transmission.

4 hours ago, toe said:

And a manual transmission.

Sorry meant 2.0 TDI manual transmission . Ambition spec.

• 4 weeks later...

Happened to me two years ago with just 90.000 km. Warranty still covered it but totally unacceptable to fail with those km. 

VAG group should recall these engines as they ALL fail no matter the brand (Skoda, VW, Audi, Seat...)

My 2c.

Skoda garage wanted to milk me 110 euro to scan a car with no faults on it and couldn't tell me if they would cover any of the costs if the water pump was faulty ended up bringing it to my local mechanic got the whole  timing belt kit fitted  I'll never deal with a Skoda garage again horrible to deal with 

Edited by toe

38 minutes ago, toe said:

Skoda garage wanted to milk me 110 euro to scan a car with no faults on it and couldn't tell me if they would cover any of the costs if the water pump was faulty ended up bringing it to my local mechanic got the whole  timing belt kit fitted  I'll never deal with a Skoda garage again horrible to deal with 

IMG_20221007_175341.jpg

IMG_20221007_175336.jpg