Tackling The Cold...

Yep. I'm probably being overdram- no wait, that's not quite right. I know fine well that I'm being overdramatic. 

Anyway, I have taken some form of the cold and feel like I've been hit by a bus. Yes, that's a mild hyperbole, but it helps with putting my point across. Basically, what tips could you give me to try and make myself feel better as being more crabbit than normal is not working in my favour because not even the dog will look me in the eye now.

I don't want any of this "you could have [insert virus that is the topic of flippin' everything these days]", I just want to know if any of you marvellous people have some tried and tested methods of rugby tackling the little b****** that is known as the common cold. :)

benylin day & night. 

vick vaporub on the soles of the feet at bedtime (wear lights socks over it) is an old wives tale that seems to work even though there is 0 science behind it and even manufacturer says it shouldnt do anything but seems to help.

it being a virus (cold) its pretty much gonna do its thing regardless until your body kicks the **** out of it, so just immune system support and wash them handies after a nose blowing.

• Thanks 1

SLIGHT variation on mac's  :

1 dollop each goose grease & mustard powder

Mix briskly between hands

Spread liberally on chest & other extremities & cover with jim-jams

DO NOT wash hands unless disposing of night soil

This remedy has stood the test of time

I just like the Lemsips, actually the blackcurrent ones preferably, 3 or 4 through the day, maybe a couple of dozes of paracetamol in between but be careful not to overdose.

One can one treat the systems, the virus will run its course.   Rest of course as one gets older.

I seem to get a cold nearly every week as I go to a big office meeting or conference etc. Cold germs seam to be rife at the moment, as long as it is not covid or flu as that is the big worry.

Back to wearing masks I think.  Anybody make any that are impregnated with Vick and other good stuff ?

Senior Ambulance man I use to work in customs with recommends chain sucking Strepsils as a good prevention to this family of viruses.       

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, punyXpress said:

Spread liberally on chest & other extremities

Are you female?

My chest is not an extremity but one I do have (for reproduction) might not take kindly to Colemans powder.

29 minutes ago, lol-lol said:

Back to wearing masks I think.

It didn't change up here. I keep mine on where required as per regulations. More than happy to invent a Vick scented one at this point :D

31 minutes ago, lol-lol said:

I just like the Lemsips, actually the blackcurrent ones preferably,      

Me too.  Curiously I find paracetamol in tablet form does bugger all, but Lemsip's are quite effective.

I like to go overboard on orange juice for a few days.

Gaz

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Curiously I find paracetamol in tablet form does bugger all, but Lemsip's are quite effective.

I've been taking Home Bargain's cheapest Cold & Flu Relief (w/Paracetamol) tabs along with grabbing an occasional Polo mint which live in a bowl just at the kitchen door. :D

Edited by AnnoyingPentium

7 minutes ago, Liger1956 said:

keeping my vitamin C levels high

I've started taking my Vitamin C+D tablets again along in conjunction with the Cod Liver Oil which is for my knees due to an incident a few years back.

Just an update for you all re: this cold.

I'm feeling a bit better, have actually had the motivation to do stuff again, which is nice. I've been taking my Vitamin tablets along with some "Max-Strength" Cold & Flu tabs, been drinking plenty liquids, and been using the nasal spray I have for my underlying sinus issues. Also been sitting with Polo Mints at some points, the mint is very helpful.

Thank you all for your advice, I appreciate it. :)

Late, but

'Feed a Cold & stave a Fever. '    ( But the internet will just say that eating healthy for energy to fight illness  is simply clever.)

Maybe Old Wives tale but seems to work as does below IME.

For non vegetarians you want to be eating Chicken Soup or Chicken Stock with some veg in, so made from boiling chicken or chicken carcass / bones. 

Best not birds that have bird flu.

Chicken & Sweetcorn soup delivered from a Chinese Take away is maybe the best way of having this, getting rest and drinking a warm easy to go down liquid.

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Assuming you have done a test to rule out Covid.... If not, I would as know people who thought they just had colds. Work colleague being an example who's on week 2 of being off. 

I've had mine for 3 weeks and it's very up and down. Mostly snotty, occasional cough. 

Asda night & day is what I've been using along with all the usual (feed a cold, keep up fluids etc. 

Thought I'd kicked last week, yet Saturday came back just as bad. 

Expert's saying because everyone was wearing masks last year, it prevented/lessened many who had colds passing them on. That's the benefit of masks

Can't say I know anyone who had anything more than sniffles last winter. 

3 minutes ago, gadgetman said:

Assuming you have done a test to rule out Covid.... If not, I would as know people who thought they just had colds.

I haven't personally done a test but my Brother and Mother, the former who brought this into the house was LFT'd, and the latter who has the cold too and is PCR'd and LFT'd regularly (works in the private care sector) through her work have all came back negative.

3 minutes ago, gadgetman said:

I've had mine for 3 weeks and it's very up and down. Mostly snotty, occasional cough. 

I've had mine since Wednesday and it's mostly just snotty as even before I had sinus problems but this is the icing on the cake! :D Hope you get well soon too.

Edited by AnnoyingPentium
Additional Information.
  • Like 1