OTA Updates

chopper85

So the VW ID5 was unveiled today, as part of the announcement they showed some of the new functions that come as part of the ID software update 3.0, Including faster charging, autonomous lane change and parking and there are a more features coming in the future.

Since the ID 4 and Enyaq are all based on the same platform and presumably the same underlying software will Skoda be rolling out the same updates for the Enyaq?

Skoda has confirmed that OTA updates are coming to the ENYAQ with the release of the coupe in Q2 2022. Whether this will be V3, who knows, they did say that a trip to the dealer will be required to enable the OTA updates. 

10 hours ago, Xtopher said:

Skoda has confirmed that OTA updates are coming to the ENYAQ with the release of the coupe in Q2 2022. Whether this will be V3, who knows, they did say that a trip to the dealer will be required to enable the OTA updates. 

I thought the Enyaqs were already OTA enabled, and that only early ID cars needed a dealer “intervention” to get updated to have OTA enabled. Do you have a link to where this is confirmed?

6 minutes ago, Malakim said:

I thought the Enyaqs were already OTA enabled, and that only early ID cars needed a dealer “intervention” to get updated to have OTA enabled. Do you have a link to where this is confirmed?

I got confirmation on Twitter, however I wouldn't be surprised if its only earlier ENYAQ that need to visit the dealer or if Skoda on Twitter are completely wrong! 

image.thumb.png.e6cf67b05cad6329a1f20af4593112ab.png

I do wonder as it appears ENYAQs are on S/W version 0792 and 0795 which are the same or above the ID update that enabled OTA (2.1 which was 0792). Might be although the s/w is capable of OTA it is disabled and that needs a dealer to enable it. 

Edited by Xtopher
  • Like 1

Still no idea what Skoda do to the base software delivered from CARIAD (VWG software group), clearly there are differences between the look and feel of the ENYAQ and ID cars, but the rest seems to be very similar, so you'd think the ENYAQ could quite easily take the 09XX software without too much trouble but maybe they are holding off and releasing V3 as a big bang as that is what looks to be coming with the ID5 which is the VW equivalent of the ENYAQ coupe. 

Yeah, the VW group cars are becoming a bit like Android phones. Each brand takes months and months to adapt their skin and unique features to the same base software. I guess we’ll see, the current version is working pretty well for me (apart from the broken scheduled charging) so I guess there’s no hurry. 

43 minutes ago, Xtopher said:

I got confirmation on Twitter, however I wouldn't be surprised if its only earlier ENYAQ that need to visit the dealer or if Skoda on Twitter are completely wrong! 

image.thumb.png.e6cf67b05cad6329a1f20af4593112ab.png

I do wonder as it appears ENYAQs are on S/W version 0792 and 0795 which are the same or above the ID update that enabled OTA (2.1 which was 0792). Might be although the s/w is capable of OTA it is disabled and that needs a dealer to enable it. 

So it's just a tethered software update to enable OTA updates by the look of it, no physical parts being changed. No mention of the scheduled updates. VAG seems a bit fractured as Malakim said like android, but since they are providing the hardware and software should be more in sync like apple.

VWG are very fractured with their software development but it sounds like they are trying to sort it. The MEB platform is the first iteration of VWG cars sharing a common platform both hardware and software, I think they plan another interaction of closer integration between the brands (think they said 2026) and finally a V3 of this common platform will eventually bring all brands together on a single software (and cloud) solution. This was presented at IAA 2021 (search for CARIAD IAA 2021 on YouTube). Not quite as bad as Android as it least the platform here (MEB) consists of shared hardware and software so the base is at least the same. Interesting to see Audi have moved away from the stock look and feel with their MEB Q4 e-tron, I wonder how much customisation of s/w they have done other than to reskin it. 

Skoda haven't given any more details than that tweet I posted so unsure as to what the update for OTA will do. It appears all ENYAQ are on a s/w version the same or greater than the ID cars 2.1 which was the enabler for their OTA. So the 'update' may be nothing more than enabling an OTA config/flag to allow it. However VW have said for V3 that they need the cars in to update modules that are currently not OTA-updatable so its highly likely that is the same in the ENYAQ. The rumour is at least one module that is required for the upgraded charging (rumoured 125kW for smaller battery and 170kW for larger batter) is not currently OTA-able and that is what requires the dealer visit. So maybe we will just make the jump to V3. Other than OTA, it looks like the ENYAQ is pretty much on VW's 2.1. 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I don’t think it’s out yet? 

From what I’ve read, VW ID. cars will need a new 12-volt battery and a workshop flash to ID. software 2.4 before 3.0 can be installed via OTA. According to VW Sweden the rollout of 2.4 and the new battery will be announced in late June, so I guess it will be possible to get it after the summer (since Sweden pretty much closes down during July / early August). 

My guess is that Skoda won’t be (allowed) to start updating until the VW cars have had a chance to be first. Do we know if the 12V battery is part of the Skoda update as well?

Quite a number of sources said it should be out some time in 2022, so hoping some time soon. Mine is on 0792. Dealer says there are not updates, although obviously 0795 is ahead of my 0792...

• 1 month later...

Long time lurker, new Enyaq owner…

This YouTube video, in German with English subtitles, confirms the key features and timeline for the update.

New software version is called ME3
12v battery will be replaced 

OTA updates will be enabled, with some addition updates arriving before year end

Many other improvements to battery management and sat-nav

Rollout will require a trip to the dealer likely starting in late Q3

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nermaloids said:

Long time lurker, new Enyaq owner…

This YouTube video, in German with English subtitles, confirms the key features and timeline for the update.

New software version is called ME3
12v battery will be replaced 

OTA updates will be enabled, with some addition updates arriving before year end

Many other improvements to battery management and sat-nav

Rollout will require a trip to the dealer likely starting in late Q3

Welcome.

Thanks for that update, I wonder if it will be Skoda UK who contact owners or whether we will have to find things out for ourselves and then tell the dealers all about it….?

On 07/08/2022 at 13:24, classic said:

Welcome.

Thanks for that update, I wonder if it will be Skoda UK who contact owners or whether we will have to find things out for ourselves and then tell the dealers all about it….?

I think we all know the answer to that one!