Citigo added to the family garage.

AGFalco

I bought my first Skoda back in June 2016, a Fabia III 1.2 TSI SE, which I still have and is going well.

I have now added a 2018 Citigo SE to the family garage.

Have been looking for one for a while and eventually found one that ticked the boxes.

Several I had looked at before had a dubious history especially on the service front.

Be careful out there when buying cars folks. :o

1 previous owner, full Skoda service history from the supplying dealer, clean MOT, good mechanical condition and in a nice colour. 

Picked it up last Sunday and drove the 120 miles home, better than expected on the motorways.

Fitted 5 new All Season tyres on Monday, one to an ebay bought spare alloy wheel that is the same at the ones on the car.

This fits straight in the boot with the tool kit fitting inside it just like the normal steel spare did. 

This was the first time that any of the wheels had been removed from the car including the spare.

Replaced the locking wheel bolts with new normal wheel bolts and new wheel bolt caps to suit.

The car came with one new full size summer tyre on the steel spare, two half worn rear tyres and fronts on 2mm and 3mm.

So the 3mm has been fitted to the steel spare ( spare ) and I only need one new tyre in the spring for my summer set. The 2mm was thrown.

Carpet mats fitted and upgraded the dipped beam bulbs for some Osram Night Breaker H7's. Did the same to my Fabia III.

This car also needed the headlamp aim adjusted up just like the Fabia did.

AC system regassed, this is the newer type R1234YF gas. 272 grams removed and refilled with 330 grams.

This is a loss of about 18% from new in 3.5 years.

I did the AC on the Fabia last Saturday, removed 375 grams and refilled with 450 grams.

So a loss of about 18% with the older R134A gas but after 5.5 years.

Today I stripped the brakes front and rear, cleaned, regreased them and refitted them.

About 6 mm left on the front pads and the rear shoes hardly worn.

Front mud flaps fitted with the rear mud flap to be fitted with plastic rear wheel arch liners next week.

Exhaust pipe from cat was spray painted to protect it from rust with VHT ( Very High Temperature ) paint.

Cheapest car in the family to insure but the most expensive to tax.

Next MOT and service not due until the spring when I will swap back to the summer tyres.

I have driven it all week and have done 350 miles already.

Half joked that this will be my daily driver from now on, instead of the Fabia.

Impressed. 😁

Thanks, AG Falco

• Like 4

14 hours ago, mdk1 said:

now used by our daughter as her first car

Yes, this one is also going to be used by our daughter.

Thanks, AG Falco

Anybody know if you get the double ended screwdriver in the spare wheel tool kit?

The kit looks unused but no screwdriver.

Thanks, AG Falco

My cars / per annum.

£20.00 Fabia III 2016

£30.00 Fiat Panda 2009

£30.00  Peugeot 307 2003. This was £85.00 for the first year.

£155.00 Citigo 2018

The rates went up to £155.00 per annum in April 2017.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables

Thanks, AG Falco

• Thanks 1

Just now, AGFalco said:

£155.00 Citigo 2018

Thanks. I was curious as my Fabia is £170 currently, if it was registered after 01.01.2007 then it'd be £155, so I'm 10 days short. I don't know if I'd consider a Citigo though given that price. :)

They are truly exceptional cars:thumbup:

We have a 2019 SEAT Mii (59 BHP), which beyond occasionally sticking rear brakes has been excellent.

Has averaged 53 MPG over the last 26k miles and not out of its depth on the motorway.

I did consider a new Aygo recently, but the test drive put me off and I opted to stick with the SEAT!

Edited by pinkpanther
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, pinkpanther said:

They are truly exceptional cars:thumbup:

Agreed. I love the form factor of a car like this. It might not be what I'm looking for currently, but there's something charming about their dinkyness.

23 hours ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

I was curious as my Fabia is £170 currently, if it was registered after 01.01.2007

No. look here:-

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables/rates-for-cars-registered-on-or-after-1-march-2001

So a Pre 1st April 2017 Citigo could be between £0.00 and £30.00 per year.

But from 1st April 2017 then look here:-

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables

But for me the Insurance is over £100.00 per annum cheaper.

So you win some and you loose some.

22 hours ago, pinkpanther said:

Has averaged 53 MPG

My Fabia III TSI does better than that, 55.6 MPG last tank, now up to 59K miles.

22 hours ago, pinkpanther said:

which beyond occasionally sticking rear brakes

Do you park on a drive nose first?

Didn't get the screwdriver in the Fabia either.:o

But I did get one with the Fiat Panda. 😀

Thanks, AG Falco

4 minutes ago, AGFalco said:

No. look here:-

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables/rates-for-cars-registered-on-or-after-1-march-2001

So a Pre 1st April 2017 Citigo could be between £0.00 and £30.00 per year.

Thanks AG Falco. I'll assume that Parkers is wrong then, I can stop kicking myself for buying the older Fabia of the pair... :D

On 21/11/2021 at 20:39, AnnoyingPentium said:

Agreed. I love the form factor of a car like this. It might not be what I'm looking for currently, but there's something charming about their dinkyness.

I was fascinated to find the Aygo is entirely devoid of any driving pleasure, despite it's sharing a similar footprint to the Mii / Citigo / Up!

• Like 1

On 21/11/2021 at 20:37, pinkpanther said:

beyond occasionally sticking rear brakes has been excellent.

Has averaged 53 MPG

Do you park on a drive?

60.1 MPG for first tank. 😀

Thanks, AG Falco

2 hours ago, AGFalco said:

Do you park on a drive?

Thanks, AG Falco

The brakes stick regardless of parking on the flat, or on the drive.

It was investigated extensively by a main dealer and their summary was it's a characteristic of the car!

They recommended changing the entire rear braking system (at my cost) when the car was just 18 months old.

The best genuine mpg I've seen is 76.6 - Fuelly link below

Fuelly

Edited by pinkpanther

2 hours ago, AGFalco said:

Do you park on a drive?

Thanks, AG Falco

The sticking brakes are much worse when the car has been driven in the wet.

Lots on here about it (and also VW Up! Forums)

32 minutes ago, pinkpanther said:

The brakes stick regardless of parking on the flat, or on the drive.

It was investigated extensively by a main dealer and their summary was it's a characteristic of the car!

My Fabia is the same, having been worse recently due to the cold spell. I've had to rev the backside off the car to get it to unstick the rear drums when it's been sitting overnight!

18 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

My Fabia is the same, having been worse recently due to the cold spell. I've had to rev the backside off the car to get it to unstick the rear drums when it's been sitting overnight!

I've noticed they do seem to unstick easier if you try to go backwards first

• Like 1

I only use the handbrake when parked away  from the house. Pull up on the drive, handbrake on, engine off, into 1st, then handbrake off. I do have the advantage of a flat drive. Sticky rear drum brakes have been happening as far back as I can remember if parked up after getting them wet. The best one was when I came back from a 2 week holiday abroad to find my Passat locked up solid after parking up in a very wet car park, wheels off and a large mallet sorted the matter.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, pinkpanther said:

I've noticed they do seem to unstick easier if you try to go backwards first

That's where my issue lies. I just rock it back and forth between 1st and reverse which is probably doing my clutch no favours

7 hours ago, freemansteve said:

The rear drums on a Citigo look like a simple, symmetrical set-up to me - not sure that going forward or backwards makes any difference....

I can confirm they release much easier going backwards:thumbup:

Edited by pinkpanther
  • Like 1