the truth about electric cars

310golfr

4 minutes ago, Ootohere said:

We have that.    It is the damn obvious thing. 

Filling up at filling stations is easy.     

I know that, but it is a factor maybe why people have got a EV when they could charge at home, which was a statement made by @wyx087 and all I'm doing is reminding him of that.

28 minutes ago, wyx087 said:

If you think of cars as luxury items rather than necessity for getting about, it would make sense.

There wasn't large amount of cars to begin with. So with much lower running cost combined with sort of people able to afford cars, thus having space for private charging, it makes perfect sense. 

Ultimately, UK need to abolish the idea that reducing cars != less people. Getting about != driving. I'm saddened to read Oxford's anti-misinformation statements and  similar misinformation statements people came up with for ULEZ (more recently London Mayor election): 

https://www.oxford.gov.uk/news/article/881/joint-statement-from-oxfordshire-county-council-and-oxford-city-council-on-oxford-s-traffic-filters

The only people who will be able to take advantage of EV's there are going to be already wealthy or those involved in the government and living in one of the few cities, most cars over there are cars that would banned from our roads as death traps and are owned by the poorest in society and will end up making the gulf between the wealthy and well-connected and the rest, even greater than it is now.

As to the Oxford thing (thank you for posting that by the way), it is full of misinformation coming from the authorities and when they go about the being no objection to the traffic filters, look at the number of respondents compared to the number of residents and locals that the scheme would affect. I suspect that it was a carefully planned consultation to get the least amount of responses possible.

• Groan 1

10 minutes ago, Graham Butcher said:

As to the Oxford thing (thank you for posting that by the way), it is full of misinformation coming from the authorities and when they go about the being no objection to the traffic filters, look at the number of respondents compared to the number of residents and locals that the scheme would affect. I suspect that it was a carefully planned consultation to get the least amount of responses possible.

I am reminded of this classic episode of Yes Prime Minister

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

Posted (edited)
On 13/05/2024 at 11:02, lol-lol said:

Only current VAG wiesel car of this sort of format is the wonderful SEAT Tarraco, so good VAG do not even bother to sell in the UK from I have seen but it was put to VCA for cetification.   According to VCA the 2 litre 110 Kw engine ie 150 hp CR wiesel engine gave CO2 figures of 142 or 144 gm Co2 depending on the model.

MPG average of 54.

What is the point of such a car unless you are towing ???/

Seat Tarraco 

Odd, its listed on the SEAT UK website (and in th ebuild configurator with a 2.0 Diesel

https://www.seat.co.uk/new-cars/tarraco/overview.html?

EDIT : ah a subsequent post already said that lol

image.thumb.png.73b17baf0d505ea7ccbe5264268f3838.png

Edited by Winston_Woof
  • Thanks 1

@Graham Butcher  Got that as well.

If you are charging at Public EV chargers it takes longer than filling a fuel tank and might cost more than liquid fuel takes to cover more miles.

This is the truth of EV,s for those that can not charge cheaply at home or at work etc.

?

Anything else on the Truth of EV,s in the UK? 

Might catch fire, might get the battery flooded, might depreciate more than other vehicles. 

Might cost more to insure, might cost more, less or the same to service than an ICE vehicle.

Might be economic for business users to run as well as home chargers, which is why people are running them. 

• Groan 1

1 hour ago, Graham Butcher said:

As to keeping 25 miles in your MY so you can drive any direction to be able to quickly charge up, whatever happened to your home charging on your driveway then?

There is a wealth of difference between being able to drive a few miles to a suitable charger for the unplanned emergency, in order to top up the battery so you can complete the emergency trip is nothing like doing the same thing in an ICE. I have the choice of around 15 service stations within a 3-mile radius of me and each one has a minimum of 8 pumps, discharging at least 2 grades of petrol and 1 maybe 2 grades of diesel. So that makes 120 pumps at my disposal, many of which are open 24 hours, meaning that on average, they have the potential to fill 1,440 ICE vehicles every hour to the brim if ever required to.

That means if ever (not very likely, I grant you) I was called upon, like last night to do a 200 mile round trip to pick etc a family member, I could easily brim my tank and be on my way within minutes, and the same would certainly true for you if you had an ICE car, no need to drive further to a charger then waiting to stick 200 miles of power in the battery (assuming the charger was free and was of the right type and working) then that must also become one of the reasons why some folk don't buy EVs even when they clearly could be charging at home and taking advantage (for now at least) of the lower charging and running costs.

Home charging is easy and very convenient. Do it every day, people call it graze charging. Every morning I wake up with guaranteed 50% battery or a suitable amount more depend on my plans for the day.

But the case I raised is if arriving home one late afternoon with 25 miles left. No plans to go out and the car is to be slowly charged up overnight. But an emergency happened at 6pm and must imminently go 200 miles somewhere (highly unlikely, just like the need to drive 600 miles non-stop people often quote). In this instance, people often quote EV slower overnight charging as barrier and why it's not useful. I'm pointing out that around London and surround area, unplanned journey is no problem at all.

Similar to your ICE vehicle, unplanned journey may need a top up along the way. Difference is, for every other normal every-day use, EV doesn't need to visit public infrastructure.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Winston_Woof said:

I am reminded of this classic episode of Yes Prime Minister

Love it.

I saw this sketch recently, and reminded of recent talking point regarding forgetful politicians on climate change.

t

• Love it! 1

15 minutes ago, wyx087 said:

Home charging is easy and very convenient. Do it every day, people call it graze charging. Every morning I wake up with guaranteed 50% battery or a suitable amount more depend on my plans for the day.

But the case I raised is if arriving home one late afternoon with 25 miles left. No plans to go out and the car is to be slowly charged up overnight. But an emergency happened at 6pm and must imminently go 200 miles somewhere (highly unlikely, just like the need to drive 600 miles non-stop people often quote). In this instance, people often quote EV slower overnight charging as barrier and why it's not useful. I'm pointing out that around London and surround area, unplanned journey is no problem at all.

Similar to your ICE vehicle, unplanned journey may need a top up along the way. Difference is, for every other normal every-day use, EV doesn't need to visit public infrastructure.

Agreed, the whole point, is that EVs are not suitable for everyone regardless of them having a driveway etc, despite your suggesting they should be. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Graham Butcher said:

Agreed, the whole point, is that EVs are not suitable for everyone regardless of them having a driveway etc, despite your suggesting they should be. 

??

My point is that slow AC charging is not a barrier to entry. It is mitigated by infrastructure on the rare chance one isn't prepared.

My point is that EV is suitable for almost everyone who can plug in at home. There will always be edge cases, but it's suitable for most people.

• Groan 1

2 hours ago, Winston_Woof said:

Odd, its listed on the SEAT UK website (and in th ebuild configurator with a 2.0 Diesel

https://www.seat.co.uk/new-cars/tarraco/overview.html?

EDIT : ah a subsequent post already said that lol

image.thumb.png.73b17baf0d505ea7ccbe5264268f3838.png

Thanks.

Terrible MPG and CO2 figures for both models it looks like.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, wyx087 said:

Full of misinformation, this would only be true if the oil extracted is used purely for powering motor vehicles, look around yourself at the vast amount of things that are being made from plastics which includes all the electric cables and casings etc used within all EV's, typical of all channels and sources dedicated to EV's

Without the oil and all of its production pollutions, then we would have zero EV's fact. To think how people rant about Taycan man and Geoff buy Cars and M Guy for being biased and full of misinformation, none of their videos are packed full of BS unlike this "Fully Charged" spin off.

Edited by Graham Butcher

3 hours ago, wyx087 said:

??

My point is that slow AC charging is not a barrier to entry. It is mitigated by infrastructure on the rare chance one isn't prepared.

My point is that EV is suitable for almost everyone who can plug in at home. There will always be edge cases, but it's suitable for most people.

That may be so, but in most locations it is illegal to let a power cable just lay across a footpath, not all councils are allowing the installation of cable ducts or the use cable protectors as they present a trip hazard (a bit rich really when you consider they are happy to leave pavements in a state of disrepair), so that really means a driveway is prerequisite to be able to plug in at home. 

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, EnterName said:

Yay! all the chargers are empty.

Oh!

Yes, oh yes, the Taycan man has mentioned this before at some Porsche dealers where they have customer chargers as well. These superfast CCS chargers are ripe for plundering as they have such large cables to carry the high amperage loads.

Edited by Graham Butcher

6 minutes ago, Graham Butcher said:

Yes, oh yes, the Taycan man has mentioned this before at some Porsche dealers where they have customer chargers as well. These superfast CCS chargers are ripe for plundering as they have such large cables to carry the high amperage loads.

I’ve just realised something. 

does this mean Openreach are looking to flog all their old copper to EV charger manufacturers as they switch to fibre?

• Confused 1

Even more important than the converting of cars over from ICE to EV, and up there with delivery van fleets from ICE to EV the HGVs doing the same is key to further cleaning up our air and putting less CO2 in the Earth's atmosphere.....    UK Government backed ie you taxes........ 

th

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Winston_Woof said:

I’ve just realised something. 

does this mean Openreach are looking to flog all their old copper to EV charger manufacturers as they switch to fibre?

OR have been taking redundant copper out of the ground and selling it for at least a decade. Some of my old colleagues are still on cable recovery which is mostly done at night. Tens of billions worth - I forget the actual figure but it was eye watering. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, @Lee said:

OR have been taking redundant copper out of the ground and selling it for at least a decade. Some of my old colleagues are still on cable recovery which is mostly done at night. Tens of billions worth - I forget the actual figure but it was eye watering. 

Hopefully the pikeys will find ev chargers a more lucrative target. 

nothing worse than a network outage caused by them ripping “cables” out only to find they’re fibre not copper

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, lol-lol said:

Even more important than the converting of cars over from ICE to EV, and up there with delivery van fleets from ICE to EV the HGVs doing the same is key to further cleaning up our air and putting less CO2 in the Earth's atmosphere.....    UK Government backed ie you taxes........ 

th

Interesting.

The Trucks will use 60kw per hour

Tachograph limits to 4.5hrs so as long as the battery is 300kw and can be charged backup with a 350kwh charger in the 45 minute break. It is just a matter of getting enough chargers in the right places.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ootohere said:

Simpler to just steal the busses and then you have less of a transportation issue. 

Screenshot 2024-05-14 18.49.15.png

Copper used in batteries?

My information suggests that their batteries are Lithium-ion, no copper used in them, but buses are rich in copper anyway with all the lights etc even before some became electric.

Electric bus battery - Forsee Power

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Graham Butcher said:

Copper used in batteries?

My information suggests that their batteries are Lithium-ion, no copper used in them, but buses are rich in copper anyway with all the lights etc even before some became electric.

Electric bus battery - Forsee Power

Copper used in the big cables from batteries to motors but some movement to make them Aluminium for ease of recycling.

Edited by lol-lol

Posted (edited)

It will be the motors and the connections within batteries and all the gubbins. 

As to the weight of the copper that might be right. 

I do not write the stuff just ask the search engines, then another maybe, phone a friend, get the word on the street and last and least listen to The MacMaster or Geoff and their stuff that they read or heard. 

Screenshot 2024-05-14 19.03.46.png

Screenshot 2024-05-14 19.07.38.png

Edited by Ootohere
  • Thanks 1