the truth about electric cars

310golfr

@Lady Elanore

Like techs getting locked out of Stellantis EV,s.  the Peugeot being a Stallantis PHEV.

Not enough Broadband width i was told to complete software updates.  Get to 97% and freezing....

Like the carry on there was with my Corsa Electric that i knew about from others experiences and i asked about and the clueless Service Staff know nothing.

Par for course.  They did not even know their own courtesy cars had outstanding Recall Actions because the people in the workshop could not do the required actions.

Hence a tech in on a Sunday to do them when the building is closed.   

Maybe the IT savvy or Techs can comment on that. 

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 1

Hopefully they can fix things, as I will require a car for around 7 weeks soon and won't be able to swap back into my car if they sort it during this timeframe  :D  I won't tell them that of course, just ring them up and explain that they need to open up around midnight and I can do the swap back at some point :D 

• Like 1

Car parts assembly company and mechanical parts replacement technician don't have a handle on electronics, who would have thought!

FWIW, all the OTA updates I've done on my Tesla were problem free.

I've read story of Tesla not able to be driven due to wrong drivetrain software received via OTA update. It was sorted within 2 hours of phoning them up.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Rooted said:

@Lady Elanore

Like techs getting locked out of Stellantis EV,s.  the Peugeot being a Stallantis PHEV.

Not enough Broadband width i was told to complete software updates.  Get to 97% and freezing....

Like the carry on there was with my Corsa Electric that i knew about from others experiences and i asked about and the clueless Service Staff know nothing.

Par for course.  They did not even know their own courtesy cars had outstanding Recall Actions because the people in the workshop could not do the required actions.

Hence a tech in on a Sunday to do them when the building is closed.   

Maybe the IT savvy or Techs can comment on that. 

a lot of car places buy the cheapest available connection for all their needs (I work for an ISP doing stuff with network inventory,/asset data and the circuits customers buy  and the bandwidth etc etc) and it wouldn't surprise me they have in adequate connections.

Then again if they had decent IT departments they would set up local caching so they didnt have to download the same file from the depths of the internet time after time.

ALso why are they doing OTA updates if the cars in with them, stick the updates on a USB file you muppets!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, wyx087 said:

Car parts assembly company and mechanical parts replacement technician don't have a handle on electronics, who would have thought!

Yep, anything that they can't see make things harder for them to fix and potentially very expensive to fix as they go about swapping old parts with new parts only to discover that the part they thought would fix it, only to discover it doesn't and move onto the next. I'm still having issues getting all the parts on my car resolved, and doesn't have a fraction of the electronics that an EV has.

So while an EV drivetrain might well be far simpler and thus more reliable than an ICE, I predict that EV's when they go wrong will off the road a longer time while they try and get their head around the electronics side of things. Perhaps that's part of the problem with the current situation with Jaguars?

• Like 1

@Graham Butcher  2 or 3% away from 100% uploaded to the car i take it.   Or is it downloaded.  (They will have been checking Radio Stations and Sat Nav no doubt for Sales Data for 'Customer Satisfaction' and the Sales / Marketing. They manage to do that OK.

But that is Service Desk people crap like brakes 80% worn as far as software updates.

Arnold Clark have a Multi Million EV facility in Glasgow with 'Genius' employees as the advertise. 

Then the Call Centre employee booking an EV in for a Service offers an OFFER price on Fuel Treatments.

The Manager at Arnold Clarks Service Centre is not sure if the Corsa Electric Courtesy cars are Automatics and the Glasgow Service Booking staff say Arnold Clark has no Automatic Courtesy cars.

Not knowing that Dundee Service Centre had.    But then they had not when they had outstanding Recall Actions...

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 1

'Fleet News' today.

An article on whoever it is wanting Fleet Managers to seriously consider Tesla Servicing as cars need Serviced & Maintained and Inspections even if Tesla says not required.

That will be a stitch in time then. 

Catch faults or issues, be aware, have parts available, keep vehicles on the road, save down time. 

Also the Service & Maintenance Operators need the work.  These are Leasing and Finance and all sorts of set ups that BEV,s are messing up....

Screenshot 2024-04-11 17.03.04.png

Screenshot 2024-04-11 17.03.26.png

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Graham Butcher said:

So while an EV drivetrain might well be far simpler and thus more reliable than an ICE, I predict that EV's when they go wrong will off the road a longer time while they try and get their head around the electronics side of things. Perhaps that's part of the problem with the current situation with Jaguars?

Only if vehicle built-in self diagnostic cannot make sense of what went wrong.

With simple machines, the error code should get you 90% there:

https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/model3/en_us/GUID-9A3F0F72-71F4-433D-B68B-0A472A9359DF.html

The customer can also check and self diagnose:

https://teslatap.com/articles/service-mode/

• Like 2

FWIW, I have a colleague who has had problems with Tesla software too. Although the record for days not on the road, seems to be owned by a colleague's Kia Niro. Spent many, many weeks at the dealers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Lady Elanore said:

FWIW, I have a colleague who has had problems with Tesla software too. Although the record for days not on the road, seems to be owned by a colleague's Kia Niro. Spent many, many weeks at the dealers. 

All of these delays in getting things fixed is not really on, we buy cars to be able to use them, not for them to be sitting around in the repair shops awaiting parts or software bugs to be resolved.🥵

2 hours ago, Lady Elanore said:

FWIW, I have a colleague who has had problems with Tesla software too.

Out of interest, what sort of problems?

Is it Tesla/Apple's "my way or the highway" or something that is serious and makes the car undriveable?

He was finding that charging at home was becoming 'challenging' (I think it was taking longer than previously), so booked it in and had a software update. Didn't go totally smoothly, As I recall it was a "pick it up the next day" kind of problem. As for the Kia, that was a total nightmare. Became a standing joke when he turned up for work in a parade of different courtesy cars (all ICE and entry models). I think he was thinking of junking the whole EV thing, except he had invested in a windmill farm to get cheap 'leccy, so persevered. He now uses an ICE car for a lot of jobs though. 

The only issue I have ever had with an ICE car updating was when I agreed to it happening whilst parked at a petrol pump. I thought it would be a background update, but instead it immobilised me for quite a long time and I managed to block not only the pump, but all traffic on that side :D  To be fair to the car, it was my own stupid fault. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Lady Elanore said:

He was finding that charging at home was becoming 'challenging' (I think it was taking longer than previously), so booked it in and had a software update.

Tesla is not known to book people in for anything software related, they prefer to solve remotely by pushing a new OTA update, failing that it's "ranger" to your door, service centre is last resort. So might needed a new charge port or onboard charger?

Not sure what's the problem with Kia..... again, doesn't sound like software related. Sounds like dealer or Kia UK doesn't know what's wrong with the car.

• Like 1

Finally the long range TESLA some of us yearn for ie bigger battery but just the single motor for the rear wheel.  Welcome 400 mile WLTP range as well as pretty impressive acceleration...

• Like 2

New entry in EV database for new TESLA Model Y long range RWD.

https://ev-database.org/car/2186/Tesla-Model-Y-Long-Range-RWD

Charging expected to be at full 250 kWs in the lower range of the State of Charge tailing off to more like 100 kW between 80% and 95%, Lithium Ion battery tech.

When we UK get RHD version and what is the maximum Lithium Iron Phosphate they might get in their using the latest generation of LiFEPO4 batteries ?

Retail cost probably about £46k, £47K I would guess but some cracking salary sacrifice deals logical to expect after initial early adopter demand.

0-60 5.9 seconds reportedly in EV DB.  

• Like 1

Avoiding a car ever having to visit the dealer is a superb thing to aim for.

It's not by chance that people who do their own repairs and servicing have much less stress in their lives. Tesla recognises that any interaction with the dealership bull****tery carries a high probability of dissatisfaction and its the manufacturers reputation that gets tarnished.

Main dealers do not want to do repairs, servicing or warranty work but are obliged to do so, all they want to do is sell finance, the vehicle being the vehicle to do so (see what I did there!).

For many a visit to the main dealer for a problem during warranty is the beginning of months or even years of grief especially if they are locked into a lease, the dealers just carry on with the "leave it with us and we will pretend to have done something" shenanigans in the hope that the customer will lose the will to live, most do, eventually the car gets returned or sold and the owner is put off that make for life.

Look how many of those vehicles with unresolved problems end up on these pages, recent low mileage cars that have had 5 or more owners being sold, thrown back and punted on through the trade. Probably 50% of the vehicles I have owned have been these problem cars that dealers sell to me as a last resort, the fault is always a simple one given time and thought, most of the time it was caused in the first place by the dealers.

Tesla are onto a real winner here, car dealerships will be fighting to sell their vehicles and in time the public will be fighting to buy them.

• Like 2

On 08/04/2024 at 09:53, Rooted said:

Well it is for those wanting a charge before getting to the Ferry at Cairnryan or anyone actually traveling and needing more than the 2 11kW chargers in town or the 8 7kW.   If they have passed the one at Turnberry which is unreliable or one at a farm shop there is one more heading to Stranraer.  Plenty there.  This is a trunk routes. A77.  Pathetic coverage and now a minimum £5 to charge.  If you want 10 kWh in to see you on your way that will be an hour or more to get in maybe 30 miles worth.  Assuming others are not plugged in for up to 6 hours.      There are several wind farms within sight, and others a few miles further away.  No electricity shortage just a lack of Battery storage and rapid and ultra rapid chargers. 

there's ionity at Stranraer and new ultra rapids going in soon at Cairnryan. On Skoda you need to be below 15% to get the fastest charge. People who fill up before then need to put their big brave pants on 😉

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Avoiding a car ever having to visit the dealer is a superb thing to aim for.

It's not by chance that people who do their own repairs and servicing have much less stress in their lives. Tesla recognises that any interaction with the dealership bull****tery carries a high probability of dissatisfaction and its the manufacturers reputation that gets tarnished.

Main dealers do not want to do repairs, servicing or warranty work but are obliged to do so, all they want to do is sell finance, the vehicle being the vehicle to do so (see what I did there!).

For many a visit to the main dealer for a problem during warranty is the beginning of months or even years of grief especially if they are locked into a lease, the dealers just carry on with the "leave it with us and we will pretend to have done something" shenanigans in the hope that the customer will lose the will to live, most do, eventually the car gets returned or sold and the owner is put off that make for life.

Look how many of those vehicles with unresolved problems end up on these pages, recent low mileage cars that have had 5 or more owners being sold, thrown back and punted on through the trade. Probably 50% of the vehicles I have owned have been these problem cars that dealers sell to me as a last resort, the fault is always a simple one given time and thought, most of the time it was caused in the first place by the dealers.

Tesla are onto a real winner here, car dealerships will be fighting to sell their vehicles and in time the public will be fighting to buy them.

Manufacturers are now copying Tesla. If you buy a new Enyaq you buy it from Skoda direct. The dealer is just a conventient location you go to when it's time to collect the car. The dealer gets paid an admin fee.

My experience of owning a tesla for 14 months was enough to put me off for life. A poorly built car riddled with faults and Tesla couldn't give a toss once I'd paid them. In 14 months it was back more than 14 times. I spent as much time in old dirty model S loan cars than anything else.

• Like 1

That is music to my ears, I am intending buying an EV for journeys within a certain radius, I will actively seek either a write off or one with problems, the more "problem" cars out there the better for me!

@domhnall Your videos are educational and a great help to people and an indication how far they can maybe go and how to charge if they drive the way you do and use chargers the way you do.

Sadly many just get an EV and deal with sales people or their Fleet Managers or whatever and learn 'On the job'  or from others Social Media / Vlogs etc.

From Journalist / Vloggers that get a loan car and can not even use a car from 98% to 10% and see how far they really go. 

When parts of the A77 are closed quite often with Planned and unplanned road works and accidents and diversions are long there are plenty that want to charge before arriving at the ferry port and not drive beyond it to charge and then drive back the couple of miles.

The road is the issue and people expecting because there are chargers that they might work.

Now with the tariffs and penalty it looked like the Turnberry, Girvan or Ballantrae chargers might not have cars locked in for many hours.

Sadly it looks like it might be quite a while before the Girvan Charger is back in service.

The Dowhill Farm charger is 55 pence a kWh and i will use that now if available.

Those towing their caravans to go to Stranraer for the curling or whatever are often getting squeeky bums and needing a charge before leaving Girvan. 

Even the SWARCO Employee that lives near Ballantrae charges in Girvan before heading home if needs must just because his local charger might be off or occupied.

The Community EV,s need charged in Girvan as well and they can tie up the chargers.

Time for maybe an update / upgrade of the charger site.

Edited by Rooted
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, wyx087 said:

Tesla is not known to book people in for anything software related, they prefer to solve remotely by pushing a new OTA update, failing that it's "ranger" to your door, service centre is last resort. So might needed a new charge port or onboard charger?

Not sure what's the problem with Kia..... again, doesn't sound like software related. Sounds like dealer or Kia UK doesn't know what's wrong with the car.

Won't be seeing the Tesla chap until the next footie season and the Kia owner had a list of woes so long I'd have to get him to write them all down. If it had been my car, I would have returned it as not up to spec. 

I honestly reckon that all the people I know reasonably well, who own EVs, have had major problems within the first couple of years. I've never known such problems with ICE owners. It definitely feels like we are all Beta testers. I can't think of any acquaintances that own regular Hybrid cars having issues, though. But that would be understandable with the lower voltage and complexity, of the cars. 

• Thanks 1

@Lady ElanoreSome of the members in the Mk4 Octavia section with issues have had other Skoda, same in the Superb Mk3 section.

They problems are not only with the PHEVS. Not always the ICE being the problem.  Software sadly.  The thing VW Group took in-house and ball-sd up. 

As usual VW dealt first where it was VW,s having the faults, needing actions taken.

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 2

Sounds like the updates have gone through today. I can remote access the car again, which is positive. They are ringing back in a short while to let me know what's going on :) 

• Like 2