the truth about electric cars

310golfr

The driver yesterday afternoon with the Taycan on my local council charger must have decided that they needed more than 70 minutes charging so never bothered that as well as the 55 pence a kWh there would be the £10 oversay to pay. 

As it was it probably suited them, car parked and when back fully charged and no more expensive than Commercial Chargers someplace else. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Graham Butcher said:

Yes it did drive out, but the battery is supposed to be fitted with breathers and water will enter through them. In the floods of New Orleans EVs were burning due to battery corrosion from the flood water getting in. 

I'm surprised the Taycan hasn't burst into flames according to the stuff people say on the internet 🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, wyx087 said:

I'm surprised the Taycan hasn't burst into flames according to the stuff people say on the internet 🤪

No that happens sometime later.

^^^ Apparently, 

To TESLA.   Maybe also Porsche.   Such is life.

It has become pick a number any number when people on-line talk about Taycan batteries.   £40,000, £50,000,  

That seems to come from what someone was told at a Porsche Dealership and has now become Chinese Whispers.

Someone must be supplying use Porsche Taycan batteries by now from accident damaged cars with no battery damage.

Maybe someone at some point has had to buy a new Porsche Battery and has an invoice showing what they paid or the Warranty provider did. 

PS

The Driver of the Tesla into Edinburgh that then had a flooded battery seems to be silent on that.

Maybe still being dealt with, maybe resolved and an agreement to say / publish no more on the matter, or maybe they paid up and shut up.

Hundreds of Tesla seem to be getting about just fine on pretty flooded roads in Scotland this year as each year and thousands of other EV,s as well.

It was maybe only me that went WTF when i went too deep and too fast in the MINI and lost stuff on the dash until i stopped and restarted the car and it all appeared again.

Fantastic that a Tesla Battery is less than 1/2 of a Porsche Battery, even 1/3rd of some prices mentioned..

Screenshot 2024-04-17 08.42.53.png

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 1

Much nearer to home were Edinburgh City BEV vans parking up and hogging public chargers for days and getting tyres punctured.

& this happening time after time due to the ignorance of the drivers and their managers. 

The City of Edinburgh is pathetic no matter how much they say they are spending on EV / PHEV chargers.

Screenshot 2024-04-17 09.29.24.png

Screenshot 2024-04-17 09.27.50.png

Screenshot 2024-04-17 09.33.24.png

Edited by Rooted

An interesting video (certainly I found him interesting) from a proper character and not some confected e-personality.

• Like 2

Strange.  because 

'They' claim the Ford e-Transit with a 67 kWh battery will do up to 350 kM / 217 miles on a single charge.

Simples they give km for those in countries that use km & not miles.   

They do not do that, but if making a point then make it well. 

260 km to miles is 161.557 miles.  

If they are doing 160 km only then that would be less than 100 miles.  180 km / 112 miles, Maybe true.   Probably realistic.

If you can read the numbers correctly.

That would be more than 1.5 miles to the kWh with a 67 kWh battery. 

Pod point shows official range as 196 miles, and confident range 167 miles.

But then you need to go by which e-Transit they actually are showing.

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 1

On 17/04/2024 at 09:26, Rooted said:

Much nearer to home were Edinburgh City BEV vans parking up and hogging public chargers for days and getting tyres punctured.

& this happening time after time due to the ignorance of the drivers and their managers. 

The City of Edinburgh is pathetic no matter how much they say they are spending on EV / PHEV chargers.

Screenshot 2024-04-17 09.29.24.png

Screenshot 2024-04-17 09.27.50.png

Screenshot 2024-04-17 09.33.24.png

There may be more to the driveway story than meets the eye. Google maps shows that property in 2022 with a disabled bay outside and no dropped kerb to access the property.

Attempts to circumvent planning regulations should always be resisted.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rooted said:

@StonekeeperThat will be why they are being told to reinstate the fence.

My Granny stayed in exactly they same kind of block. 

It is a ridiculous expectation that you can drive across a pavement to park in your garden.

You have to apply to the council to drop the pavement

Without the dropped kerb there would be no way of preventing people parking parallel to the kerb and blocking him in.

• Groan 1

More stories in the press today on the channels across pavements for charger cables  Trial location number 3 after the one in Stirling and someplace else. 

I could have the Council pay to drop my kerb.  Ex Angus Tayside Council workers who are now Tayside Contracts / Direct Labour would have done the work. 

They sent out someone to survey and access / assess, survey the address, access !!! me.  The thing was they wanted to paint a disabled bay and put a post on the street as well so i said no because i just needed off the street and not an opening and a bay on the street.

I asked for them to take away the disabled ramp that the previous tenant had and that was in a bad condition..

They said they could replace it and i said i did not need a ramp that gets frozen and dangerous.

So they had someone from Glasgow come and drill holes in it so that it would drain. They were from the company that had installed it many years previously.

Angus Council likes if they can spend thousands having works done, ramps, dropped kerbs etc. They do not like cheap. 

If they were to start checking how many dropped kerbs people have done in Scotland without approval 

or how many have rubber tamps or pieces of wood to mount and cross a kerb that will be jobs for the boys / girls aplenty.

Screenshot 2024-04-18 20.13.44.png

Screenshot 2024-04-18 20.23.06.png

Edited by Rooted

Poor bloke, just look at how much money, blood, sweat and tears he has put into the improvements!

• Haha 2

Can someone highlight the chargers in the pictures?

Where the car is parked on the "drive",  would he not have to leave through the bins?

Edited by Stonekeeper

Not really if they are not there.  Nor the slabs that have to be removed, as the picture might be prior to completion of the installation. 

Was the gentleman maybe going to be advertising it as an AirBnB or rental property with off street parking, or just a long term rental, or even just rent out the parking with chargers rather then being his residence? 

Bins not obstructing access.  I see from the pictures in the papers the pavement resurfaced.  Did someone maybe have the kerb dropped? 

Screenshot 2024-04-18 22.00.36.png

Edited by Rooted

Is that one dwelling or a block of flats? It looks more like the latter.

I cant zoom large enough but I think there were service gates there before and behind them looks like grass concrete (the base with holes where grass can grow through) which would tie in with it being the service entrance for the block of flats and maybe the bin storage was at the rear, the photo being taken on collection day.

So is he a ground floor tenant/flat owner taking a liberty with a common area or has the person bought the block of flats?

There is no longer the keep clear marking.

Whatever is the real story you can trust the paper to ignore it in favor of their "angle".

• Like 1

I can see now from another photo that there were no gates, the part to the left does look like grasscrete though.

When these Local Authority / council flats were Edinburgh Corporations & this was communal ground around them in most cases and dry greens around the back.

There was often Land Grabbing, and gardens created, and looked after or not looked after by tenants and things evolved.

When the different flats were bought how the land shows as far as allocated to each privately property then who knows.

Judging by the fact that is in fact 6 flats, it has all the hallmarks of it once being a rather grand house in what was once a posh part of Edinburgh but has since been encircled by the riff raff and a property developer has purchased the house and converted it into 6 identical flats and with 6 tenants almost impossible for them each to have an EV and home charge anyway.

The aerial view shows space available is somewhat limited and the close of the door clearly shows the 6 door intercoms for the flats and this shows the problems that many are facing, or will be facing with car ownership and home charging.

aboveview.thumb.jpg.10e4402cfe1d3c4438ddd68624b32aa5.jpg6flats.thumb.jpg.c837e9e6f524a99bea619b99dfa85224.jpg

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Graham Butcher said:

Judging by the fact that is in fact 6 flats, it has all the hallmarks of it once being a rather grand house in what was once a posh part of Edinburgh but has since been encircled by the riff raff and a property developer has purchased the house and converted it into 6 identical flats and with 6 tenants almost impossible for them each to have an EV and home charge anyway.

The aerial view shows space available is somewhat limited and the close of the door clearly shows the 6 door intercoms for the flats and this shows the problems that many are facing, or will be facing with car ownership and home charging.

aboveview.thumb.jpg.10e4402cfe1d3c4438ddd68624b32aa5.jpg6flats.thumb.jpg.c837e9e6f524a99bea619b99dfa85224.jpg

Maybe it was the 5 neighbours objecting to him taking away the Communal space that was the problem?