Advice on buying Superb Mk3

jakk

Hi All, I'm relatively new here, so here goes. 

I've had an Octy Mk2 2.0 tdi for past 10 years. got 200,000 miles, served me well and now time to move on to another. 

I've been looking at the new Octy Mk4 - but fellow members are reporting that i'd be "rolling the dice" with the mk4 - as there are too many issues with the infotainment system and issue with Adaptive CC and Lane Assist etc....so I'd be taking my chances... therefore I'd rather not.

So I'd like to stay with Skoda as I love them. This bring me onto latest Superb's - the Mk3 has been around for a few years now, so I'm looking for advice.

Should I buy one?

I'm looking at 1.5 (or 1.4) SEL Exec Petrol - I'd prefer manual, any advice, I like my "toys" in the car as well.

Advice I'm after is -

Are there any issues I need to be aware of - ie issues with infotainment system, ACC, Lane Assist or other driver convenience items.

What about mechanics?

What should I be looking out for when I do physically see one?

Are there any issue with DSG, as most Superb's I've seen are auto's - ie is an auto worth considering?

Any advice is appreciated, as I'm looking to purchase within next 2 months.

Many Thanks in advance.

I was, sadly, one of the mugs who bought an MK4 Octavia. I had an SE FE. It was the single worst experience of any car I have ever sat in, never-mind drove or owned. It was just a horrible horrible car, riddled with technical bugs.

I do sometimes check in on the threads I used to contribute to on the Octavia forum and it basically looks like in the year since I got my car very little has changed. I would not recommend one bit that you take a chance on the MK4.

On the other hand, while my MK4 was off the road for six weeks (before I finally rejected it) I had the use of a manual Superb. I found it very similar to the Octavia in the driving of it, i.e. the size is similar, as are many of the tech-principles, but every single thing on it worked. When my Octavia was rejected I had to look for a new car, and was able to get a great deal through a workplace scheme. This did mean my choice of Superb's was limited, as not every dealer participates in the scheme, and I wasn't able to spec a car for myself.

What I ended up with was a DSG with several options added already. There was not a single manual available to me. I decided to go ahead, not having drove an automatic for about 20 years, but I can honestly say I am glad and actually am finding my driving experience has only been massively improved through going to a DSG box. I would strongly recommend you consider a DSG. You still have the option of using it as a manual, and I often do while descending steep hills, as I do tend to find the car puts itself into low gears with some enthusiasm and for me I find it revs too high during descents, especially long descents, so I usually take over manually in such circumstances. For all other use I am happy for the DSG to control the gears.

As far as the tech goes, I can assure you that in five months of ownership I have not had one single problem with this car, nor did I with the loan Superb. I repeat, not one problem. Contrast that with the Octavia, where I had reported faults back to the dealership within my first month, which continue until I rejected the car five months later.

Mechanically, I guess as I have only had the car five months (from brand new, 0 miles) I will leave it to someone else to comment on that long-term, but put it this way I haven't had to contact the dealer about any mechanical issues experienced so far.

I genuinely can say that this is the best car I have ever owned, hands down, so I can do nothing but recommend one.

Edited by Gax
  • Like 2

In 2017/2018 the 1.4tsi SEL exec had the 10" Columbus infotainment (MIB2.5) which also had a DVD player tucked away in the glovebox along with 2 SD slots, user SIM slot. You can upgrade the MAPs yourself free of charge whenever a new map is published (twice a year) easily using the SD card slot, or USB stick.

You need to confirm this, but IIRC later models after the facelift with 1.5tsi engine downgraded to the smaller less feature Amundsen unit which I believe is also the newer MIB3 design. No DVD, external SD slots or user SIM. I believe you can only update maps online using Skoda Connect which is a subscription service and as it has a built in sim, data IIRC requires an expensive annual datasim contract with Skoda's partner, no choice. Could maybe update at Skoda dealer?

No idea about latest Columbus (MIB3)

MIB3 in other models is known to have software issues, though I dont know if this affects the units fitted to facelift Superbs.

Coding Mods were also securely locked out with MIB3.

I may be wrong so do some digging, hopefully someone will come along and give the full picture.

My early 2018 1.4tsi SEL exec, everything works fine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gax said:

I was, sadly, one of the mugs who bought an MK4 Octavia. I had an SE FE. It was the single worst experience of any car I have ever sat in, never-mind drove or owned. It was just a horrible horrible car, riddled with technical bugs.

I do sometimes check in on the threads I used to contribute to on the Octavia forum and it basically looks like in the year since I got my car very little has changed. I would not recommend one bit that you take a chance on the MK4.

On the other hand, while my MK4 was off the road for six weeks (before I finally rejected it) I had the use of a manual Superb. I found it very similar to the Octavia in the driving of it, i.e. the size is similar, as are many of the tech-principles, but every single thing on it worked. When my Octavia was rejected I had to look for a new car, and was able to get a great deal through a workplace scheme. This did mean my choice of Superb's was limited, as not every dealer participates in the scheme, and I wasn't able to spec a car for myself.

What I ended up with was a DSG with several options added already. There was not a single manual available to me. I decided to go ahead, not having drove an automatic for about 20 years, but I can honestly say I am glad and actually am finding my driving experience has only been massively improved through going to a DSG box. I would strongly recommend you consider a DSG. You still have the option of using it as a manual, and I often do while descending steep hills, as I do tend to find the car puts itself into low gears with some enthusiasm and for me I find it revs too high during descents, especially long descents, so I usually take over manually in such circumstances. For all other use I am happy for the DSG to control the gears.

As far as the tech goes, I can assure you that in five months of ownership I have not had one single problem with this car, nor did I with the loan Superb. I repeat, not one problem. Contrast that with the Octavia, where I had reported faults back to the dealership within my first month, which continue until I rejected the car five months later.

Mechanically, I guess as I have only had the car five months (from brand new, 0 miles) I will leave it to someone else to comment on that long-term, but put it this way I haven't had to contact the dealer about any mechanical issues experienced so far.

I genuinely can say that this is the best car I have ever owned, hands down, so I can do nothing but recommend one.

Thank You so much for sharing yiour experience Gax. Sad that Skoda did this to Octavia Mk4 - such a beautiful looking car, but I'm glad you do recommend the Superb, and you've had no issues. I have now definatley ruled out the Octy Mk4. 

Thanks again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jakk said:

I'm looking at 1.5 (or 1.4) SEL Exec Petrol - I'd prefer manual, any advice, I like my "toys" in the car as well.

What are the reasons behind you wanting a manual gearbox ?

I have a manual gearbox and deeply regret not getting automatic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DB72 said:

What are the reasons behind you wanting a manual gearbox ?

I have a manual gearbox and deeply regret not getting automatic.

I am from the "old school" where auto's were not as economical as a manual, however, I have seen figures and auto's (certainly Skoda) seem to be almost on par with manuals these days. Just wanted to see what the feel out there was - ie should I take the plunge for an auto or stick with manual... The more I read, the more I'm edging towards an auto.

59 minutes ago, LukasK said:

Not OP, but for me, main reason was that 1.4TSI/1.5TSI is bundled with problematic dry clutch instead of much more reliable wet-clutch, which is present in 2.0TSI, etc...

Hi LukAsk, are you saying that if I decide to look at auto's then stick with the 2.0 instead of 1.4/1.5 ?

A few early 1.5tsi engined Superbs suffered from the dreaded kangaroo problem, more noticeable on manuals than autos. Best to test drive from a cold start on a cold day. Also check if any hesitation when pulling away quickly from a standstill at a junction or roundabout when some would sit and do nothing for a couple of seconds, think that affected autos more than manuals.

Supposedly software updates are available to fix those issues, with varying degrees of success.

1.4tsi is a much better engine

Always check the the rear disc brake condition, they are made out of blue cheese and often require replacing at ridiculously short mileages (due to under use)

Edited by xman
  • Like 1

i personally really like 1.4tsi engine, but take this engine only if you dont mind having manual transmission. If you want DSG and have budget for it, take 2.0TSI (stronger version), which is amazing to drive and have reliable DSG type.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jakk said:

I am from the "old school" where auto's were not as economical as a manual, however, I have seen figures and auto's (certainly Skoda) seem to be almost on par with manuals these days. Just wanted to see what the feel out there was - ie should I take the plunge for an auto or stick with manual... The more I read, the more I'm edging towards an auto.

I too am a bit old school.  I was untrusting of the Dq200 gearbox and didn't want to risk a big repair bill.  But I've ended up contemplating trading the car in due to some issues, mainly the driving position which is made much worse by having to use the clutch and that will probably cost me more than a dsg repair bill.  Also, the car generally suits dsg because of the automatic cruise control.  If you really want a manual gearbox then try to be sure you're happy with the driving position. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jakk said:

I am from the "old school" ...

This Sportline is my first automatic. I've been driving it for four years. Best car ever, if you want a cruiser with loads of room. I get 35.6 mpg averaged since I've owned it.

Sit in crawling motorway traffic for an hour and you'll be glad of ACC and DSG.

Now is a good time to look for a dealer's demo – that's what I bought, and no regrets.

• Like 1

You’d be crazy not to go for a new style automatic.

they combine the efficiency of a manual with the perfect changes of an auto.

new boxes are nothing like your old torque converter style that chew a lot of power up, I would 100% recommend a automatic over the manual in octavia’s and superbs 

• Like 1

I jumped from a Fabia to the Superb and I much prefer the wet clutch to the dry clutch (and the larger engine size too). The dry clutch was very twitchy and jerky in my experience. It's a shame though because I initially thought it was fine in the 1.2l I test drove as to the one in the 1.0l I eventually got before my Superb.

• Like 1

I have a 2018 1.4 tsi SE L. I've had it 9 months... Faultless. I preferred the manual as I tend to keep my cars for 6 - 7 years and didn't want the worry or cost of clutch plate changes with a DSG. 

Good luck on your search. 

Edited by scoop3379
  • Like 1

On 29/11/2021 at 13:21, jakk said:

What about mechanics?

What should I be looking out for when I do physically see one?

Some things to watch out for are...

• Very creaking suspension (applies to both DCC and non DCC).  Common problem it seems and very often not permanently resolved, which is often put down to one or more of various suspension bushes, but very tricky to find someone to definitively diagnose and permanently solve it seems.  (Speaking from personal experience).  Alarmingly loud sometimes, like a set of rusty bed springs.
  • Loose or mis-aligned chrome door trim at B pillar where the abutment sometimes snags on each other.
  • Glove box catch doesn't work properly on some cars, resulting in random opening while driving.
  • Umbrella in doors and boot torch often missing if buying used.
  • Suspension delivery blocks have been known to be left in place so if suspension feels ultra harsh, possibly double check this (not sure how though).

• Like 1