Travel assist retrofit

JustOxy

Hello,
I am gathering information about possibility of retrofitting travel assist (or at least correct adaptive lane guidance) on my octavia RS 2021.

I do not have: Columbus, traffic sign recognition, side assist.
I do have: ACC, DSG, simple lane assist (lane departure prevention).

I have tried to code adaptive lane assist (point intervention->early in A5). It keeps the car in lanes perfectly but expectedly every 10-15s asks to put my hands onto steering wheel while they're still on it.
After some hours of googling I've found out that travel assist can be retrofitted and coded (necessary blocks are not SFD-protected) by replacing steering wheel with the one with capacitive sensors.

Questions:
Will I also need integrated navigation (Columbus). If yes can I just buy it from the shop inside Bolero?
Will I also need traffic sign recognition for it to work?
Steering wheels which look the same have different part numbers (e.g. 5E3 419 093 AR VKK  https://www.cars-equipment.com/en/shop/steering-wheels-parts/oem-flat-bottom-vrs-steering-wheel-2/ and 5E3 419 093 AH VKK https://picclick.it/New-orig-MF-steering-wheel-complete-RS-FLAT-203513044462.html). Which one do I need?

Do you know anything about that?

My setup is identical. I know it is possible, but the companies that do so ask a significant sum for it. I have been quoted 900 euro for just the coding, not included the additional steeringwheel hardware.

Have a few local guys looking into it as well, will let you know when they get back to me.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Update:

I went for it and bought a new steering wheel with capacitive sensors inside it.

Mounting it pretty easy, there are some videos on YouTube. You'll just need a M12 Spline to unscrew it.

Coding is also simple, no SFD unlock required:

Control Unit 13->Long Coding-> byte 2 -> Capacitive_steering_wheel - Enabled.

A5 Driver Assistance - Long Coding - HC_Warn_Intensity - Setting_over_Menu (activates the Travel Assist menu in the interface)

A5 -> Hc_Variante: 2

A5 -> Klr: Enabled. This one will enable capacitive sensors.

With these options travel assist will be available

Interesting post ... Just a little question. If I am not mistaken, travel assist uses traffic sign recognition to set properly the speed of the car ... How did you sorted it out? Were you able to code it as well?

Edited by Mario_Delgado

• Sponsor
2 hours ago, Mario_Delgado said:

Interesting post ... Just a little question. If I am not mistaken, travel assist uses traffic sign recognition to set properly the speed of the car ... How did you sorted it out? Were you able to code it as well?

Travel assist doesn't read road signs. It just reads road markings 

PACC reads the road signs 

For those looking to save a little money, it's possible to install a module that's essentially a modified capacative sensor. It simulates your hands always being on the wheel (this doesn't mean it's ok to drive without holding the wheel 👀).

It doesn't cause any fault codes, and it's often cheaper than a new steering wheel 

Edited by East_Yorkshire_Retrofits

8 hours ago, Mario_Delgado said:

Actually, you are right, traffic sign recognition is used to set the speed automatically. Without it, speed is only set manually which is my case. I also find it more convenient since I set a bit higher speed than on traffic sign.

p.s. I believe it's impossible to code traffic sign recognition

• Sponsor
8 hours ago, JustOxy said:

Actually, you are right, traffic sign recognition is used to set the speed automatically. Without it, speed is only set manually which is my case. I also find it more convenient since I set a bit higher speed than on traffic sign.

It's not impossible, it's just not cheap unless available in the vehicles online store, as it requires a Feature Enablement Code 

Travel assist doesn't automatically set the speed for you, PACC does. For example on my car I have the predictive element disabled yet use Travel assist all of the time. It operates as regular ACC with adaptive Lane Guidance.

It works the other way around too, you can use PACC without Travel Assist enabled. They're seperate systems 

It will be interesting to see if your Travel Assist works, mine (factory fitted) does not work since the last (5 months ago) software update to fix the SOS and popping, Skoda UK said it won't work until they get the ACC 'fix' that was due this month but as ever no idea when that (if at all) will come. 

2 hours ago, East_Yorkshire_Retrofits said:

It's not impossible

I meant impossible to just code without FeC. 

Actually I've found some shady instruction but not sure it's still working or will work with current gen. Also, odis and vas adapter are required. Check here: https://www.drive2.ru/l/593313242974033325/

1 hour ago, matrix2020 said:

It will be interesting to see if your Travel Assist works

It works. Without pACC but works. I had no issues with simple ACC either. I received the car in December 2021 and I'm from Estonia

• Like 1

• Sponsor
On 28/03/2022 at 10:18, JustOxy said:

I meant impossible to just code without FeC. 

Actually I've found some shady instruction but not sure it's still working or will work with current gen. Also, odis and vas adapter are required. Check here: https://www.drive2.ru/l/593313242974033325/

It works. Without pACC but works. I had no issues with simple ACC either. I received the car in December 2021 and I'm from Estonia

That guide is useless for MQB2020 unfortunately & the TSR fec is in the canbus gateway not the radar 

Worth checking if TSR is available in the Skoda store 

17 hours ago, JustOxy said:

That's exactly what I had in mind. And after all this time with the retrofit installed and working ... are you happy with it? Did you have time to use it in highway for a long distance? I am considering the retrofit as well ... but I am not sure if it's worth the money after checking a bit steering wheels' prices. 

And regarding traffic sign recognition ... I'm curious, @East_Yorkshire_Retrofits you said that it's not cheap but ... Do you have an order of magnitude?

• Sponsor
On 28/03/2022 at 16:29, Mario_Delgado said:

That's exactly what I had in mind. And after all this time with the retrofit installed and working ... are you happy with it? Did you have time to use it in highway for a long distance? I am considering the retrofit as well ... but I am not sure if it's worth the money after checking a bit steering wheels' prices. 

And regarding traffic sign recognition ... I'm curious, @East_Yorkshire_Retrofits you said that it's not cheap but ... Do you have an order of magnitude?

Extremely expensive for MQB2020, it costs us the same to enable TSR as it does to enable TSR & lane assist (a little less time involved). Hopefully in time, prices will drop 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mario_Delgado said:

are you happy with it? Did you have time to use it in highway for a long distance?

I installed it a week ago so no long journeys yet. But I've tested it on a highway and in town and it feels good (especially on highway ofc). You can have your one arm (or both) relaxing on a wheel while steering happens automatically. Definitely worth it, at least for me.

No alarms if your palm is on the wheel. If alarm happens it goes away as soon as you slightly touch the wheel.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/03/2022 at 20:39, JustOxy said:

Update:

I went for it and bought a new steering wheel with capacitive sensors inside it.

Mounting it pretty easy, there are some videos on YouTube. You'll just need a M12 Spline to unscrew it.

Coding is also simple, no SFD unlock required:

Control Unit 13->Long Coding-> byte 2 -> Capacitive_steering_wheel - Enabled.

A5 Driver Assistance - Long Coding - HC_Warn_Intensity - Setting_over_Menu (activates the Travel Assist menu in the interface)

A5 -> Hc_Variante: 2

A5 -> Klr: Enabled. This one will enable capacitive sensors.

With these options travel assist will be available

Hello, thank you so much for starting this thread and sharing your experience!

Am i right to say that you have replace steering wheel and with the codes, enabled Travel Assist which allows semi-autonomous driving?

I have Lane Assist but no Adaptive Lane Guidance on my Octavia RS MK4.

Question: If I would like Adaptive Lane Guidance only i.e. hands need to be on steering wheel, not changing the factory steering wheel, does it mean that it can be done through coding? Which tool did you use?

thank you.

• Thanks 1

• Sponsor
3 hours ago, CharlieRS said:

Hello, thank you so much for starting this thread and sharing your experience!

Am i right to say that you have replace steering wheel and with the codes, enabled Travel Assist which allows semi-autonomous driving?

I have Lane Assist but no Adaptive Lane Guidance on my Octavia RS MK4.

Question: If I would like Adaptive Lane Guidance only i.e. hands need to be on steering wheel, not changing the factory steering wheel, does it mean that it can be done through coding? Which tool did you use?

thank you.

Adaptive Lane Guidance is part of travel assist on MQB2020 

On 28/03/2022 at 18:44, East_Yorkshire_Retrofits said:

It would be around £345 with VAT, it costs us the same to enable TSR as it does to enable TSR & lane assist (a little less time involved). Hopefully in time, prices will drop 

Thanks a lot for this ! 🙂 well, another item for which I will wait for a reduction in prices. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, East_Yorkshire_Retrofits said:

Adaptive Lane Guidance is part of travel assist on MQB2020 

thanks, would this mean that i will not be able to enable Adaptive Lan Guidance unless i replace the steering wheel + perform the codings?

3 hours ago, CharlieRS said:

thanks, would this mean that i will not be able to enable Adaptive Lan Guidance unless i replace the steering wheel + perform the codings?

You can do it with only coding (point of intervention->early in A5) but you'll get 'hands on the wheel' alert every 10s or so

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/04/2022 at 02:08, JustOxy said:

You can do it with only coding (point of intervention->early in A5) but you'll get 'hands on the wheel' alert every 10s or so

I managed to enable it! Thanks so much :)

PS: did you manage to get the entry assist (where the seats move when getting in or out)? 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I'm new on this forum.

I drive 2021 Octavia Style. It is equipped with Columbus (with navigation), ACC, DSG, simple lane assist (lane departure prevention). There is no traffic sign recognition, side assist.

I would like to activate Travel Assist and Traffic Sign Recognition.

I have a few questions @JustOxy

1. Can you please share the original part number of the wheel that you bought? Is it equipped with DSG paddles and heating?

2. When you activated Travel Assist, does the lane assist work below 60 km/h?

Is there a possibility to activate Traffic Sign Recognition with the car equipped like mine?

Thank you!

BR

Mati

@Mati_M

9 hours ago, Mati_M said:

1. Can you please share the original part number of the wheel that you bought? Is it equipped with DSG paddles and heating?

PN: 5E3419093ARVKK

With dsg paddles and heating

9 hours ago, Mati_M said:

Yes, it does

• Sponsor
12 hours ago, Mati_M said:

Hello everyone,

I'm new on this forum.

I drive 2021 Octavia Style. It is equipped with Columbus (with navigation), ACC, DSG, simple lane assist (lane departure prevention). There is no traffic sign recognition, side assist.

I would like to activate Travel Assist and Traffic Sign Recognition.

I have a few questions @JustOxy

Is there a possibility to activate Traffic Sign Recognition with the car equipped like mine?

Thank you!

BR

Mati

Yes traffic sign can be activated. However, if it isn't available in the skoda store then it's expensive as hell