Travel assist retrofit

JustOxy

Thank you for your answer@JustOxy

I have just noticed that you own the RS version (Three arms steering wheel).

I was searching the web to find a steering wheel for my car (Style).

There are few models available on the market. PN: 5E3419093 XX XXX

If I understand correctly 5E3419093 stands for the wheel itself and XX XXX stands for some other options.

I was tying to decrypt these letters...

A - these are without DSG paddles, without heating, without Travel Assist button

AE, AA - these are wheels without DSG paddles, with heating

AR - RS type, with DSG paddles, with Travel Assist button, with heating

AG - RS type, without DSG paddles, with Travel Assist button, with heating 

AF, AP - these are with DSG paddles, with Travel Assist button, with heating

Do you know any explanation of these letters?

What does these three last letters mean?

There are mostly VKH and VKH letters at the end of the serial numbers.

Will three arms RS steering wheel fit to my Octavia Style?

@East_Yorkshire_Retrofits

Thank you for information.

Unfortunately, there is only one function on demand available in my Skoda store - additional ambient light colors....

In this case should forget about this feature 😞

BR

Mati

• 1 month later...
  • Sponsor
4 hours ago, mitchec said:

Has anyone any idea how changing the steering wheel will effect your warranty 

New wheel isn't covered under warranty. Rest of the car should be unaffected 

Ensure you replace the bolt that secures the wheel, and torque it correctly. Also ensure you don't mark/damage the airbag when removing - give them 0 reasons to invalidate other parts warranty 

• Love it! 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, East_Yorkshire_Retrofits said:

New wheel isn't covered under warranty. Rest of the car should be unaffected 

Ensure you replace the bolt that secures the wheel, and torque it correctly. Also ensure you don't mark/damage the airbag when removing - give them 0 reasons to invalidate other parts warranty 

Thanks for the info. I’ve ordered an OEM  5E3419093AE VKH heated steering wheel from cars-equipment.com complete with the capacitive module. Hope it arrives in good condition. 

Edited by mitchec
  • Love it! 1

• Sponsor

It's possible to buy modified units to fit to your canbus gateway which remove the need for the capacative module on the wheel. Also allows for unlimited no hand contact (not that this is safe)

Those of you fitting heated steering wheels will require additional wiring and a new slipring.

Edited by East_Yorkshire_Retrofits

• 1 month later...

Hi all. Got my capacitive steering wheel. After disconnecting the air bag module I’ve noticed there is an additional yellow and brown  wired connector on the capacitive wheel which I don’t have on the one already fitted. Although I’m not sure I assume it’s for the heated wheel ?

anyway after changing the wheel over and refitting everything I got a load of errors after reconnecting the battery which is supposed to be normal, along with errors on the lane assist and travel assist. 

After updating module 13 to add the capacitive steering wheel ( I’d already updated the other modules) I still had a problem with with lane assist which would not activate using the steering wheel button. I also got a load of additional options for travel assist in the assist system screen of the infotainment system. Previously there was only steering feedback. 

after taking the car for a short drive all the faults on the dashboard cleared along with the lane assist fault which I could now select.  Note all the previous options I had in travel assist had now gone just showing the original steering feedback. 

I cant honestly say it was worth all the effort. 

Without changing the steering wheel I already had managed to get travel assist working all be it with an annoying message on the dash to take control, only cleared by slightly turning the steering wheel. I was assuming this was due to not having a capacitive module in the wheel.  With the new wheel I was expecting to be able to just have my hand on the wheel without having to make any physical input to the steering. 

Can anyone who has done this mod please let me know if you have multiple options in the travel assist section of the assist screen. 

cheers

Edited by mitchec

• Sponsor
8 hours ago, mitchec said:

Hi all. Got my capacitive steering wheel. After disconnecting the air bag module I’ve noticed there is an additional yellow and brown  wired connector on the capacitive wheel which I don’t have on the one already fitted. Although I’m not sure I assume it’s for the heated wheel ?

anyway after changing the wheel over and refitting everything I got a load of errors after reconnecting the battery which is supposed to be normal, along with errors on the lane assist and travel assist. 

After updating module 13 to add the capacitive steering wheel ( I’d already updated the other modules) I still had a problem with with lane assist which would not activate using the steering wheel button. I also got a load of additional options for travel assist in the assist system screen of the infotainment system. Previously there was only steering feedback. 

after taking the car for a short drive all the faults on the dashboard cleared along with the lane assist fault which I could now select.  Note all the previous options I had in travel assist had now gone just showing the original steering feedback. 

Without changing the steering wheel I already had managed to get travel assist working all be it with an annoying message on the dash to take control, only cleared by slightly turning the steering wheel. I was assuming this was due to not having a capacitive module in the wheel.  With the new wheel I was expecting to be able to just have my hand on the wheel without having to make any physical input to the steering. 

Can anyone who has done this mod please let me know if you have multiple options in the travel assist assist section of the assist screen. 

cheers

Capacitive wheels require a good amount of contact between your hand and the wheel. You can't gently rest/loosely hold it. They're annoying as hell 

You'd have been better off getting one of the modules that are fitted to the canbus gateway. Usually much cheaper and you can hold the wheel as loose/tight as you fancy

On 13/07/2022 at 14:22, mitchec said:

Can anyone who has done this mod please let me know if you have multiple options in the travel assist section of the assist screen. 

cheers

Update from my last post. It appears I forgot to add the following changes

A5 -> Hc_Variante: 2

A5 -> Klr: Enabled. This one will enable capacitivesensors.

Travel assist now appears to be working fine and not getting any warnings regarding hands on the steering wheel. 

Only thing I’d like to get working is the Travel Assist options on the main Assist screen. 

On reflection changing the steering wheel was worth the effort. 

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

• Sponsor
7 hours ago, mitchec said:

Update from my last post. It appears I forgot to add the following changes

A5 -> Hc_Variante: 2

A5 -> Klr: Enabled. This one will enable capacitivesensors.

Travel assist now appears to be working fine and not getting any warnings regarding hands on the steering wheel. 

Only thing I’d like to get working is the Travel Assist options on the main Assist screen. 

On reflection changing the steering wheel was worth the effort. 

How tight would you say you have to grip it for it to be happy? I'm now wondering if my formentor wheel was one of the early problematic ones 🤦‍♂️

3 hours ago, East_Yorkshire_Retrofits said:

How tight would you say you have to grip it for it to be happy? I'm now wondering if my formentor wheel was one of the early problematic ones 🤦‍♂️

The required force depends a lot on the moisture of your skin and ambient moisture. Yesterday I could drive with only my left hand gently gripping the lower left quadrant. Other times, when the air has been dry, I've had to grip it harder and even add a touch of my right fingers to the lower right quadrant.

8 hours ago, East_Yorkshire_Retrofits said:

Very lightly. Basically if I just rest my hand inside the wheel next to the bottom Placket/Badge don't get any warning.

• Like 1

On 26/03/2022 at 12:39, JustOxy said:

Update:

I went for it and bought a new steering wheel with capacitive sensors inside it.

Mounting it pretty easy, there are some videos on YouTube. You'll just need a M12 Spline to unscrew it.

Coding is also simple, no SFD unlock required:

Control Unit 13->Long Coding-> byte 2 -> Capacitive_steering_wheel - Enabled.

A5 Driver Assistance - Long Coding - HC_Warn_Intensity - Setting_over_Menu (activates the Travel Assist menu in the interface)

A5 -> Hc_Variante: 2

A5 -> Klr: Enabled. This one will enable capacitive sensors.

With these options travel assist will be available

Hi. Could you give me an indication what options you have in the Travel Assist menu in the infotainment screen. All I have is steering feedback

Edited by mitchec

• Sponsor
7 hours ago, Jorgeminator said:

The required force depends a lot on the moisture of your skin and ambient moisture. Yesterday I could drive with only my left hand gently gripping the lower left quadrant. Other times, when the air has been dry, I've had to grip it harder and even add a touch of my right fingers to the lower right quadrant.

I had my formentor for a year and it always wanted just a slight bit too much force applied grip wise. There were some that required replacement early on, I've a feeling mine may have been one of those despite not hitting the requirements 

Good to hear Skoda aren't having the same issues

On 15/07/2022 at 15:35, mitchec said:

Hi. Could you give me an indication what options you have in the Travel Assist menu in the infotainment screen. All I have is steering feedback

Anyone

• 4 months later...
On 12/06/2022 at 20:50, East_Yorkshire_Retrofits said:

It's possible to buy modified units to fit to your canbus gateway which remove the need for the capacative module on the wheel. Also allows for unlimited no hand contact (not that this is safe)

Hi,

Can you provide more details about this external unit and how to connect it?

Is the below product a good example of this unit?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004670611624.html?gatewayAdapt=4itemAdapt

Thank you

• Sponsor
On 28/11/2022 at 14:51, djmartzian said:

Hi,

Can you provide more details about this external unit and how to connect it?

Is the below product a good example of this unit?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004670611624.html?gatewayAdapt=4itemAdapt

Thank you

This isn't compatible with MQB-Evo as the gateways are different. You may get away with fitting it elsewhere as it only requires power, ground & connection to the correct lin-bus. However the MQB-evo KLR modules are different so I'm unsure how you'd get on 

Edited by East_Yorkshire_Retrofits
  • Like 1

Thank you for the info. It's better to retrofit the capacitive steering wheel rather than produce any electrical issues/faults. 🙂

Can someone explain to me what it's the difference between Hc_Variante: Variante_0(coded from factory) and Variante_2(need to be changed accordingly to the above instructions)? Is this coding mandatory for capacitive steering wheel only?

Finally, I found a capacitive steering wheel on eBay in a very good condition, so I went for it. Installation is quite easy, today I did the testing and and it's working fine. 

Just for the sake of clarity, it's true that control modules 13 and A5 are not SFD locked modules but security access code is needed. For both of them, security login code is 20103.

Hi Guys,

Does someone else change the steering wheel on an Octavia E-TEC with 48V battery?

Based on the procedures you MUST to disconnect regular 12V battery earth strap before removing the driver airbag. But also you MUST de-energize the 48 V system using vehicle diagnostic tester before un-pluginging  the connections. 

This is mandatory for safety reasons because, the 12 V system is powered by the voltage converter, 48 V /12 V -A7- of the 48 V system. For this reason, the 12 V system can only be de-energized if the 48 V system has first been de-energized.

On a quick look on the OBD11 app, I can't find any procedures/apps to do this? Access to ODIS diags it seems necessary in my case.

Any advices will be highly appreciated.

Thank you

Hi,

I've found an Steering Wheel vRS model in a very good condition.
I've installed and tried to code it by following the above procedures but I did NOT manage to enable the capacitive function in Control Unit 13:

Control Unit 13 - Adaptive cruise control - Long Coding
Capacitive_steering_wheel - Enabled.

When I've change the option to Installed (I don't have the option Enabled) an error have been returned by the OBD11 App -> "Something was wrong!" something similar to a not supported function.

I've also had a permanent error in Gateway Module: "U112500 - Local data bus error - Aditional installation detected".

What I've did wrong? Does the Adaptive Cruise Control unit is NOT supporting this function?

Any advise will be highly appreciated.

Thank you

• Sponsor
36 minutes ago, djmartzian said:

Hi,

I've found an Steering Wheel vRS model in a very good condition.
I've installed and tried to code it by following the above procedures but I did NOT manage to enable the capacitive function in Control Unit 13:

Control Unit 13 - Adaptive cruise control - Long Coding
Capacitive_steering_wheel - Enabled.

When I've change the option to Installed (I don't have the option Enabled) an error have been returned by the OBD11 App -> "Something was wrong!" something similar to a not supported function.

I've also had a permanent error in Gateway Module: "U112500 - Local data bus error - Aditional installation detected".

What I've did wrong? Does the Adaptive Cruise Control unit is NOT supporting this function?

Any advise will be highly appreciated.

Thank you

You need to code the Canbus gateway so it's aware the KLR is installed

Can't comment on the coding issue you're having as I've never used obdeleven 

On 06/05/2022 at 22:45, East_Yorkshire_Retrofits said:

Yes traffic sign can be activated. However, if it isn't available in the skoda store then it's expensive as hell 

Thank you for the info.

Can someone with the Travel Assist fully function can share the Long Coding and Adaptations values for the Can Gateway module, please?

13 hours ago, djmartzian said:

Thank you for the info.

Can someone with the Travel Assist fully function can share the Long Coding and Adaptations values for the Can Gateway module, please?

Check if all below is done :

Select Driver Assistance A5
- Select Long coding
- Select KLR
- Set to Coded
- Select Point of intervention
- Set to Early
- Select HC Warn Intensity
- Set to Setting_over_menu
- Select HC variante
- Set to Variante_2
- Select Adaptive cruise control 13
- Select Long coding
- Select Capacitive_sterring_whell
- Set to Installed
- Select Travel Assist
- Set to Activated
- Select Gateway 19
- Select Adaptation
- Select Specified installation of sub-bus users
- Select Control module for sterring whell touch reconition
- Set to Yes

Last one needs sfd, I have skipped it an despite having same error U112500 it all works.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, octavianx said:

Check if all below is done :

Select Driver Assistance A5
- Select Long coding
- Select KLR
- Set to Coded
- Select Point of intervention
- Set to Early
- Select HC Warn Intensity
- Set to Setting_over_menu
- Select HC variante
- Set to Variante_2
- Select Adaptive cruise control 13
- Select Long coding nu
- Select Capacitive_sterring_whell
- Set to Installed
- Select Travel Assist
- Set to Activated
- Select Gateway 19
- Select Adaptation
- Select Specified installation of sub-bus users
- Select Control module for sterring whell touch reconition
- Set to Yes

Last one needs sfd, I have skipped it an despite having same error U112500 it all works.

Thank you mate.

With your suggestions I've managed to get rid of U112500 from Gateway 19 module.

But, Adaptive Cruise Control 13  does NOT accept my coding for the capacitive steering wheel, nor for Travel Assist. I've received the same "Something went wrong!" Error. 

Details about my module:

System Description: ACC Bosch MQB

Hardware version: H20

Hardware number: 5WA907572

Software version: 0395

Software number: 5WA907572B

Any extra advises what might be wrong in my setup?

Edited by djmartzian

2 minutes ago, djmartzian said:

Thank you mate.

With your suggestions I've managed to get rid of U112500 from Gateway 19 module.

But, Adaptive Cruise Control 13  does NOT accept my coding for the capacitive steering wheel, nor for Travel Assist. I've received the same "Something went wrong!" Error. 

Details about my module:

System Description: ACC Bosch MQB

Hardware version: H20

Hardware number: 5WA907572

Software version: 0395

Software number: 5WA907572B

Any extra advises what might be wrong in my setup?

Security code?

Try with this when coding 13