How long does it take (a mechanic) to replace cam belt and water pump?

Wench

Can anyone give me a rough idea time wise how long you’d expect the cam belt and water pump to be replaced?

it’s not actually for my Skoda, but I’m trying to work out if it’s cost effective for me to buy the parts and get my garage to fit them.

It's going to vary hugely depending on what car it is. I did one on my wife's diesel Peugeot 106 in about 3 hours, and a Ford XR2 one in about the same time but didn't do water pump on that one. A professional mechanic may have done it a bit quicker. I understand there are some Fiats where you virtually have to take the engine out to do it and people sell the car rather than pay for a cam belt replacement. So it's a bit of a "how long is a piece of string?" question.

• Like 1

the problem with buying the parts yourself is that a lot of mechanics/ garages will not be interested in doing the work,  as there's less money to be made from the job.

so they will either just add extra on to the labour or put you to the back of the queue

when there is plenty work about, why would you work for less than you need to ?

How much does it cost to buy a house of an undisclosed size and condition in an undisclosed country?

15 minutes ago, J.R. said:

How much does it cost to buy a house of an undisclosed size and condition in an undisclosed country?

good-question-meme.gif

Seriously however, it will vary greatly in cost depending on where you go and which car it's being fitted to.

Edited by AnnoyingPentium

On 22/12/2021 at 16:26, Wench said:

Can anyone give me a rough idea time wise how long you’d expect the cam belt and water pump to be replaced?

it’s not actually for my Skoda, but I’m trying to work out if it’s cost effective for me to buy the parts and get my garage to fit them.

I believe garages are reluctant to fit parts not supplied by themselves as it will make problems in giving you a warranty for faulty parts. I bought the fan speed resistor pack from a dealer and tried to fit it at home but was reluctant to because it was under the air bag. I asked the dealer to fit it and he was happy to do it because I had purchased the part from his parts shop.

On 22/12/2021 at 16:26, Wench said:

Hi so I had mine done on my Octavia back in April, it took them 2-3 hours of labour as they also changed the oil, plus £94 for timing belt kit plus 60 for water pump. Hope this helps 

Edited by Martini06
  • Like 1