Skoda Columbus 2010 RNS510

Tabarak

So being the ham-fisted fool I am I've managed to push one of the the number plate lights inside the body work 😧 The screws were stiff. I managed to get one undone and then pushing on to the other to get bite pushed it inside the bodywork. I wanted to get it out to have a measure up and make sure I get the right part. So the next question is how do I access the light fitting to push it back out? Is it a remove the bottom boot trim job or an underneath the car with a torch and a flexible wrist job?

Edited by Fishlex

wow,good one that, there are manuals in the library on here, if you go into the model home page there may be a link to it in the technical library, sorry i can't help further,never had one out, my car is a Yeti and they just slide to one side them drop out ,no screw fixing

• Like 1

Thanks for that Wingnut, sadly the manual doesn't cover that kind of thing, guess they expect the owners to have more sense 😉I'll treat myself to a Haynes manual and see what's what before I do any more damage.

Right, I've rescued the light, had to undo three of the rear bumper torque screws and have a fish around. Still, all done now. I've ordered a custom light fit reversing camera and power relay from audiotech so I'll report back if I ever figure out how to fit it!

I think you get the wiring diagram with it,but if I find my copy I’ll try and get it to you, in my pics I posted the small relay I had a bit of a problem, just making sure the voltage direction was correct, as it only worked 1 way

• Like 1

Hiya!

Had a "rummage around" the Skoda Yeti boot panel to check which connector is used for my boot opener, as I've decided to purchase a new reversing camera that replaces the boot opener. I don't want to drill holes in my Yeti. It's the LS8012 connector for my face-lift Yeti. I think the pre-facelift Yeti has the other connector.

A right pain in the backside to remove. Unscrewed the rubber boot strap and pulled it out. To remove the boot panel, the clips attached to the body requires getting a long strong plastic "spatula-like" implement or two and with fingers forcibly pull it off as the clips are on tight. I've left the panel off until I get my new reversing camera as I don't fancy removing it again. I began at the bottom, closest to the boot lock, as I had the best access and not like some where the panel meets the window.

I'm buying this on Amazon UK (I have vouchers to use), Dynavsal 1280 x 780p night vision camera together with this in case I need it: 12 Volt Rectifier.

At the moment I think I'll pull the reversing camera cable through the bottom of the car, as opposed to via the roof. Mind you, I might change my mind as I'm doing it... 🙂

Sláinte!

Gaff

2022-02-17 12.17.41.jpg

2022-02-17 12.32.39.jpg

2022-02-17 12.38.42.jpg

2022-02-17 12.38.45.jpg

2022-02-17 12.39.11.jpg

2022-02-17 12.39.15.jpg

• Like 1

Nice write up and photos Gaff, thanks. My own reversing camera saga continues as well. I got one that fits the number plate light and is basically a replacement clear plastic cover to go over the original fitting but with a camera attached. I managed to fit that without issue this time. I removed the entire fitment from the body (it's a clip on one side that holds it in to the body), fed the camera cables in to the hole and put the fitment back in. So far so good but now it all goes wrong. I can't find a way to get the cable from inside the bumper to inside the car. I've removed the bottom boot trim and found some promising looking holes but there's something between them and the space between the bumper stopping me from pulling the wires through. I think I'll need to get under the car and trace how the existing cables in the bumper get back in to the car. The second problem I have is that the head unit only shows a black screen when I put the car in reverse. If I run a built in app called AVIN on the head unit, I see the camera feed fine. I've got a ticket in to Xtron support for that one.

I'll continue the updates if they're of any interest to anyone.

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips Wingnut but I did put the "ATD 12v DC Power Relay For CANBUS Car Rear View Backup Reverse Camera" inline to feed the camera power so I think it's something else. It's deffo the PAL one too so I'm not sure what's going on. It works because the AVIN app shows a perfectly fine video feed, just not whatever app is jumping in when I put the car in reverse. I'm more concerned trying to route the cables as I will at least have a manual way of activating the reversing camera. I hate working on cars, everything is cramped and awkward to get to 🙂

Finally managed to find an ingress point, two rubber grommets just below the bottom boot trim. No need to remove the trim or the screws at the bottom of the bumper, just pull the grommet in to the car, cut and feed the wire through then replace the grommet from inside. I pushed it all the way back out then used wire nosed pliers to pull the lip of it in to the interior. I ran the cable to the front the lazy way under the trim on the floor of the passenger side and through the dash to the back of the head unit. It works fine with my AVIN app but when I put it in reverse, still no picture. Still waiting for a response from Xtron support on that one.

The end of the line. All in and working correctly, engages with reverse, looks great. The missing link was another part of the head unit loom still being in my drawer rather than attached to the unit. On that loom? A video input labelled Reverse Cam In...

I'm slow but I get there in the end. Thanks for all the help and suggestions everyone.

• Like 3

I was really  thinking of getting a xtrons unit but tbh, looking at the connectors at the back and reading descriptions of it (even detailed ones by @GaffCelticViking ) but it's like the most complecated shít ever and I know there'll be some differences in connectors and the thing will be in a box!

Hows the everyones android auto working? Always seemed to me that the android auto GPS would be handier than the built in GPS 

2 minutes ago, Meath said:

I was really  thinking of getting a xtrons unit but tbh, looking at the connectors at the back and reading descriptions of it (even detailed ones by @GaffCelticViking ) but it's like the most complecated shít ever and I know there'll be some differences in connectors and the thing will be in a box!

Hows the everyones android auto working? Always seemed to me that the android auto GPS would be handier than the built in GPS 

Hiya!

Android Auto via USB works extremely well on the Xtrons IQ90MTVL. It's responsive, beautiful big screen (9"), and just works well via the ZLink application. Occasionally, wireless Android Auto works too, though not frequently enough for me to trust it.

The built-in navigation is dependent on having good connectivity and a SIM installed. Good connectivity is available either by using the pre-existing GPS contact connected to one of the new USB connectors (I now know this works) or using the GPS puck that comes with the unit, however, this requires a decent placement of the puck on the dashboard (attached photo of GPS satellites).

If you're only installing the Xtrons IQ90MTVL without accessories such as the DVR camera, the reverse-parking camera, or the tyre pressure monitor, or the OBDII device then I think installing it is easy enough (if I managed to do it, then so can anyone else 🙂 ).

Sláinte!

Gaff

2022-02-20 14.46.53.jpg

3 minutes ago, GaffCelticViking said:

Hiya!

Android Auto via USB works extremely well on the Xtrons IQ90MTVL. It's responsive, beautiful big screen (9"), and just works well via the ZLink application. Occasionally, wireless Android Auto works too, though not frequently enough for me to trust it.

The built-in navigation is dependent on having good connectivity and a SIM installed. Good connectivity is available either by using the pre-existing GPS contact connected to one of the new USB connectors (I now know this works) or using the GPS puck that comes with the unit, however, this requires a decent placement of the puck on the dashboard (attached photo of GPS satellites).

If you're only installing the Xtrons IQ90MTVL without accessories such as the DVR camera, the reverse-parking camera, or the tyre pressure monitor, or the OBDII device then I think installing it is easy enough (if I managed to do it, then so can anyone else 🙂 ).

Sláinte!

Gaff

Yeah, I was thinking the wireless wouldn't be to great. Sounds good on paper. I plug my phone in 90% of the time in the car, so that isn't an issue. Definitely won't have a sim for the headunit. 

I won't be installing any extras, maybe an OBDII device. I might just take out the columbus and see what the GPS connection is and get that adapter if needed. Funny enough, I wasn't planning on spending closer to €300 on a unit, but the xtrons european site has an offer on the IQ90MTVL, so might just pick one up

https://www.xtronsgermany.de/vw-skoda-seat-verschiedene-android-10-octa-core-4gb-ram-64gb-rom-ib90mtvl?find=skoda-superb-2008-7741

• Like 2

I found it very easy the connections,every one is tagged and labelled you can’t go wrong really,it fits perfect, as long as the correct quad lock is used, the only fault I found,I couldn’t get Apple CarPlay to work on my unit, despite trying various dongles, my latest Yeti 2016,connects to the smart link no problem, Siri,all my apps work so leaving it in, 

so I’ll be selling the Xtrons unit soon

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Meath said:

Yeah, I was thinking the wireless wouldn't be to great. Sounds good on paper. I plug my phone in 90% of the time in the car, so that isn't an issue. Definitely won't have a sim for the headunit. 

I won't be installing any extras, maybe an OBDII device. I might just take out the columbus and see what the GPS connection is and get that adapter if needed. Funny enough, I wasn't planning on spending closer to €300 on a unit, but the xtrons european site has an offer on the IQ90MTVL, so might just pick one up

https://www.xtronsgermany.de/vw-skoda-seat-verschiedene-android-10-octa-core-4gb-ram-64gb-rom-ib90mtvl?find=skoda-superb-2008-7741

You'll find it cheaper here: https://www.navi4all.com/en/product/9-android-10-octacore-4gb-ram64gb-rom-car-gps-qualcomm-aptx-plugplay-vw-seat-skoda/ at €301.

This is the IB90MTVLN, which has 4 GB RAM and 64 GB ROM, while the IQ90MTVL has 6 GB RAM and 128 GB ROM.

The IQ90MTVL is €381: https://www.navi4all.com/en/product/9-android-10-octacore-snapdragon-665-6gb-ram128gb-rom-car-gps-4gcarplayandroid-autodsp-built-450w-volkswagen-seat-skoda/

• Like 1

Ah right, didn't notice i had the wrong model.

This is what I hate about buying electronics, there's always a better one for just a bit more money! Don't temp me into the 6gb one! But cheers, that IB model will probably do, 300 is doable and throw in a few adapters I'll probably need.

Cheers, you saved me €30 already 😀

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Wingnut73uk said:

The model I have is the IB90MTLV 4gb/64 ,at the moment surplus, pity I’m not going over to Ashbourne else I’d bring it with me

LOL, yeah, used to live there, most of my family still do! In west dublin now, not a million miles away. Bought my car in the UK though, up near Newcastle. 

• Like 1