Intermittent boost loss 1.4tdi

Hello fellow members, I own a skoda Fabia 1.4pd tdi BNM. Today while doing a overtake there was a sudden power loss, almost like the turbo is not working and no boost. Soon after I pulled over and switched off the car and switched it on and viola the car fixed itself. After doing some research online I found many people are facing the same issue with the pd 1.4 but no one has given a solution for this issue. So if anyone here has found a solution please do share because losing power in middle of a overtake is kinda scary.

The reason for no replies is that it can be many things,it's a matter of checking things out one at a time i'm afraid, most likely if you check codes it will say overboost or under boost pressure fault this is most common and is usually caused by the turbo not working orrectly and needs a clean out (sooted up) it can also be turbo air intake/manifold/ egr  pipes weak afecting pressure loss, loose  pipe clips cracks in the pipes faulty pressure switches but by far the most common is the turbo sticking, at the moment turning car off and restarting will clear fault but it will get worse and will be in limp home mode all the time, some people use mr muscle oven cleaner but you really need to remove exhaust pipe at the turbo and do this direct not squirt it in manifold, my mate freed his by putting wynns turbo cleaner in half a tank of fuel instead of a full tank ran car for 2 days and then prised arm on turbo actuater that opens and closes turbo back and forth untill it moved freely, when he stated it only moved around an inch but when he finnished it was moving around 2-3 inches it was stiff but he kept moving it back and forth and this fault never came back, the garge told him that the turbo had gone and would cost  around £900 to fix but in fact it cost him all in around £30 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Murdockman said:

The reason for no replies is that it can be many things,it's a matter of checking things out one at a time i'm afraid, most likely if you check codes it will say overboost or under boost pressure fault this is most common and is usually caused by the turbo not working orrectly and needs a clean out (sooted up) it can also be turbo air intake/manifold/ egr  pipes weak afecting pressure loss, loose  pipe clips cracks in the pipes faulty pressure switches but by far the most common is the turbo sticking, at the moment turning car off and restarting will clear fault but it will get worse and will be in limp home mode all the time, some people use mr muscle oven cleaner but you really need to remove exhaust pipe at the turbo and do this direct not squirt it in manifold, my mate freed his by putting wynns turbo cleaner in half a tank of fuel instead of a full tank ran car for 2 days and then prised arm on turbo actuater that opens and closes turbo back and forth untill it moved freely, when he stated it only moved around an inch but when he finnished it was moving around 2-3 inches it was stiff but he kept moving it back and forth and this fault never came back, the garge told him that the turbo had gone and would cost  around £900 to fix but in fact it cost him all in around £30 

At present there are no codes except for the low voltage. I checked my friends car which is same 1.4tdi and has clocked 120k but his car was quicker to drive when compared to mine. Mine has only done 80k miles there is no oil burn issue and no smoke to. Plus my car is even remapped, currently I even checked the injector values they are also showing normal values while idle and running.

On 27/02/2022 at 21:07, MohammedFaaizAnsari said:

The only code was low battery voltage. 

This can get you into all sorts of issues with VW's computer programs.  Get the battery recharged as soon as possible or replace if required.  Also check your alternator is working properly unless there are explanations for the battery being so low.

On 27/02/2022 at 21:14, MohammedFaaizAnsari said:

Plus my car is even remapped,

It depends on how well this is done, if not done well and your car has other modifications sometimes these are not improvements and can be retrograde to factory standard.

Sort the battery charging and see how it goes from there.

Edited by nta16
  • Love it! 1

Simple answers required 1st based on actual facts:-

1/ Your BNM is a 70BHP car so probably does not have a variable vane turbo.

2/ You say your mate has an identical car, is that also a 70BHP or an 80BHP. If the same original power output, his may have been re-mapped by previous owners hence the perceived power difference.

3/ How long have you had the car, and have the issues only occurred since the re-map. Who remapped it and are they a reputable company, or was it an internet map.

4/ Buy a Bluetooth OBD2 dongle, put Torque on an Android phone and read real time boost pressure - you can also view voltage in real time - or log boost pressure in real time with VCDS.

5/ Is there any pattern to when it occurs - although sound like only happened once (today).

6/ What mileage was the low voltage logged compared to current mileage, if the car had a low voltage 5 years ago - due to no use for a while or similar - without anyone reading the codes and clearing them that code will remain. I have had batteries that only just start the car in winter which can give electronic module messages but never caused an issue with running - its not a Tesla.

7/ What actually happened - acceleration that just suddenly stopped with the car then running at a constant speed (i.e. limp mode where revs will be limited to about 2500rpm but generally accompanied by a warning light in the instrument cluster such as glow plug light flashing), or actually started to slow down (blocked fuel filter or even water in the filter as a possibility which may explain no codes).

Unsure where you found "many people are facing the same issue with the pd 1.4" but this is nothing I am not aware of as a common issues, having run a high mileage BNM in a Mk1 for 56K miles.

• Like 1
  • Love it! 2

On 02/03/2022 at 20:16, KeithCheetham said:

Simple answers required 1st based on actual facts:-

1/ Your BNM is a 70BHP car so probably does not have a variable vane turbo.

2/ You say your mate has an identical car, is that also a 70BHP or an 80BHP. If the same original power output, his may have been re-mapped by previous owners hence the perceived power difference.

3/ How long have you had the car, and have the issues only occurred since the re-map. Who remapped it and are they a reputable company, or was it an internet map.

4/ Buy a Bluetooth OBD2 dongle, put Torque on an Android phone and read real time boost pressure - you can also view voltage in real time - or log boost pressure in real time with VCDS.

5/ Is there any pattern to when it occurs - although sound like only happened once (today).

6/ What mileage was the low voltage logged compared to current mileage, if the car had a low voltage 5 years ago - due to no use for a while or similar - without anyone reading the codes and clearing them that code will remain. I have had batteries that only just start the car in winter which can give electronic module messages but never caused an issue with running - its not a Tesla.

7/ What actually happened - acceleration that just suddenly stopped with the car then running at a constant speed (i.e. limp mode where revs will be limited to about 2500rpm but generally accompanied by a warning light in the instrument cluster such as glow plug light flashing), or actually started to slow down (blocked fuel filter or even water in the filter as a possibility which may explain no codes).

Unsure where you found "many people are facing the same issue with the pd 1.4" but this is nothing I am not aware of as a common issues, having run a high mileage BNM in a Mk1 for 56K miles.

sudden-loss-of-power-1-4tdi.18527

https://uk-polos.net/viewtopic.php?t=30700

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=63712

These above links are similar to my issue. I have had the car for 11 to 12ish years and have maintained it according to the manufacturer specification. The car was remapped 5 years ago and was done in a very well reputed Indian tuner company called Pete's. I got the car fully scanned and even checked the injector values of the car while running and idle. I even got my friends car scanned and crossed checked the data but nothing seems wrong expect for the low battery voltage. 

While the attached post is on a 1.9TDI and is not the same specific issue, I would recommend reading the article as basically a 1.4 is just 3/4 of a 1.9 and this is another proven basically cost free route to identifying possible issues without resorting to garage costs. Regarding the low voltage, could you advise how this is being reported, even possibly adding a screen dump as I have only seen reports of low voltage linked to specific modules when a full scan is carried out with VCDS.

What I do see in the "Polo" post is one person having a positive result with an EGR change. This component may already be mapped out with the remap, but if not can be done at home with the correct equipment and understanding of map modification and the ECU allowing changes (ECU model dependant) - I did this myself on my Mk1 BNM 1.4 many years ago.  

• Like 1