Can I run my ’06 Fabia Estate TDI on veg oil?

Hello...

Apologies if the answer is somewhere in this forum but I haven't found it...

I have a 2006 Skoda Fabia Elegance Estate, 1.9 TDI PD100..

With fuel prices going crazy and warmer weather coming....could I run my Skoda on a mix of say 40% diesel and 60% pure veg oil straight off the supermarket shelf??

I watched 'Miles' get fillled up with just pure veg oil on the Car Throttle YouTube channel and assumed my Skoda 1.9 TDI must be the same engine, but others more knowledgeable than me say there are loads of various TDI engines and so I shouldn't do it??

Does anyone have a definite answer...? 

I really appreciate it if anyone could help.

Kind regards,

Rob

In Ireland you can use veg oil if you tell revenue and pay the duty making it way dearer than diesel. they will take your car if you are caught.  An idi engine is best like a straight diesel or turbodiesel I couldnt use it in my tdi

Really....aww, that's so annoying. I really appreciate your answers. 

Might have to sell it then and find an old straight diesel...

Which car would be best for this do you think??

13 minutes ago, Robstene said:

The car named 'Miles' that Alex from CarThrottle had was a 90hp 1.9 TD Octavia, a non-PD based engine. The other option is a 1.9 110hp model. The 100 and 130 Octavias are both PDs and therefore not compatible with veg oil without risking hefty damages. You'll find the 90 and 110 engines in a Mk4 VW Golf, B5 Passat, and some other VAG group cars like Audi A4s etc.

The only Fabia that'll take veg oil is the SDI but it needs to have a Bosch fuel pump and not a Lucas pump.

Hope this helps. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Robstene said:

Really....aww, that's so annoying. I really appreciate your answers. 

1.9 sdi fabia, they're a non pd engine.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Robstene said:

Straight diesel - bent owner!

Says the man looking up the price of Gasoil Non Routier (Red diesel) last night and finding out it costs more than the diesel he bought on the autoroute which should be significantly more expensive than the supermarke filling stations.

I doubt that you will find any 4l jugs of cooking oil on the supermarket shelves and you are going to attract a lot of attention with a trolley loaded with 60 one litre bottles of cooking oil, at least with the red diesel or ClamC oil its on a 24 hour unattended pump.

• Like 1

Price of fuel these days makes people do strange things, saw a passat being filled with kero for example.

I'd chance mixing some kero in my sdi but running pure kero? No way.

Heard of people mixing in a (small) amount of kerosene to help cars pass smoke but even then its not much.

1 hour ago, Robstene said:

Thank you everyone for the info...and Annoying Pentium...your info was really helpful! Cheers.

Glad I could help. Just as a further note, don't get an SDI expecting PD100 TDI performance... :D

9 minutes ago, DieselMonte said:

0-60 in a spry 18.9 seconds

Oh, did they stop measuring them with calendars? :giggle:

They're designed for economy though, not power. So as long as you don't expect PD100/130 power then I think they're a solid choice.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I doubt that you will find any 4l jugs of cooking oil on the supermarket shelves and you are going to attract a lot of attention with a trolley loaded with 60 one litre bottles of cooking oil,

Last Monday in Costco saw a couple pushing out 16 boxes of 20 Litre cooking oil 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

I doubt that you will find any 4l jugs of cooking oil on the supermarket shelves and you are going to attract a lot of attention with a trolley loaded with 60 one litre bottles of cooking oil, at least with the red diesel or ClamC oil its on a 24 hour unattended pump.

J.R. wake up, it's not illegal, no duty is payable on less than 2500 litres in a year.

Check the rules before donning the fake helmet!

• Like 1

I love the performance of my PD100 TDI... especially with the stage 1, but it would have been amazing to have been able to run it on veg too...

Ahh well ..

No need for insults Sep, I was wrong, misinformed, call it what you will, I assume that you are speaking of the UK?

I will double check the rules in my country, I'm pretty sure that if a carburant is used as a road fuel then duty must be paid on it.

Why is it legal (you say) to drive on supermarket cooking oil but not red diesel?

And what does a "fake helmet" mean please?

8 minutes ago, J.R. said:

No need for insults Sep, I was wrong, misinformed, call it what you will, I assume that you are speaking of the UK?

I will double check the rules in my country, I'm pretty sure that if a carburant is used as a road fuel then duty must be paid on it.

Why is it legal (you say) to drive on supermarket cooking oil but not red diesel?

And what does a "fake helmet" mean please?

It's humour J.R. not an insult, I'm simply pointing out that a discussion on legality is not relevant to this thread.

Donning the fake helmet is a humourous reference to disguising oneself as a member of her majesty's constabulary.

• Like 1