1.5TSi MPG

tricky1138

10 fillings since new last september, average overall 38.15 according to Sprit Monitor..

Almost all driving is local, apart from one or two longer journeys.

Will be interesting to see what I get on a trip down to central France in June.

Perhaps my journeys are atypical as the norm is at least 25 miles and more normally 70 over a mix of country roads and some dual carriageway. But it averages at around 43 mpg as indicated on the dash. I have tried all the Modes but find the difference in mpg with my style of driving varies little betwen Sport and ECO so I leave it permanently on Sport as the response is far quicker. If I take it steady i.e. keep to a max of 60 mph this can rise to an indicated 50+. Winter driving i.e. cold weather definitely less mpg but still 40+ during this past winter.

Here's a set of recent consumption figures from my 3 month old 1.5Tsi DSG SEL  taken from the Skoda connect driving data. Short journeys its around mid thirties, on a long trip its in the 40's

Distance (mi) Time (m) Ø Speed (mph) Ø Consumption (mpg)
7 25 17 35.3
4 17 16 30.4
4 11 22 36.2
152 170 53 42.8
128 226 34 47.1
6 26 15 34.9
47 97 29 42.8
238 273 52 44.1
9 23 24 36.2
12 35 21 37.7
9 21 25 38.7
4 11 23 35.3
4 11 25 37.2
9 23 24 37.2
14 42 21 37.7

I regularly do trips from Dorset to thee south west corner of London. Usually A roads on dual carriageway, but sometines motorway. I usually see 44 to 50mpg on the computer, the low figures seem to be when the weather is cold, the higher figures when warm ~17 degrees.

My 1.5tsi manual Karoq was purchased in Sept 2018 and I believe it is a MY19. I tend to stick with a max of 65mph i.e enough to keep out of the way of lorries. I record my fuel usage on a brim to brim basis and, over the past two years, I have averaged 41.33mpg with a blend of local and, say, 100 mile journeys. The car generally indicates one or two mpg better than this, but it's fibbing.

Is this actually going to save any money, by the time depreciation etc is all factored it?  Or is it just going to make you feel better at the pump? I’d suspect the latter without actually seeing figures first. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SC03OTT said:

Is this actually going to save any money, by the time depreciation etc is all factored it?  Or is it just going to make you feel better at the pump? I’d suspect the latter without actually seeing figures first. 

Depends on the sort of journeys you are doing. If you are regularly doing decent runs then a diesel might be better. If like me your driving is mostly short journeys then the mpg becomes less relevant.

I was doing well over 15,000 miles a year in my diesel Yeti,  It now takes me over three years to do the same mileage. Mpg is no longer a relevant factor. With a diesel doing that mileage I'd be more worried about dpf and egr problems. 

tom

• Love it! 1

22 hours ago, StEdmund said:

My 1.5tsi manual Karoq was purchased in Sept 2018 and I believe it is a MY19. I tend to stick with a max of 65mph i.e enough to keep out of the way of lorries. I record my fuel usage on a brim to brim basis and, over the past two years, I have averaged 41.33mpg with a blend of local and, say, 100 mile journeys. The car generally indicates one or two mpg better than this, but it's fibbing.

Hi,

may I ask what driving mode you are usually in?

22 minutes ago, Suuntobob said:

Hi,

may I ask what driving mode you are usually in?

To be honest, I haven't really investigated 'modes' in detail - I ought to look at it more closely, though from what I have seen, the differences are quite minor. The car is in 'Sport' mode and has been for some time as I prefer a slightly stiffer feel to the steering.

Thanks for the prompt, I will try a different mode and see if there's any effect on mpg.

1 hour ago, StEdmund said:

To be honest, I haven't really investigated 'modes' in detail - I ought to look at it more closely, though from what I have seen, the differences are quite minor. The car is in 'Sport' mode and has been for some time as I prefer a slightly stiffer feel to the steering.

Thanks for the prompt, I will try a different mode and see if there's any effect on mpg.

My car has "Individual" settings so I have mine set up using Eco combined with the heavier steering.

Why Eco, because I like the softer throttle response and more economical aircon. The coasting function doesn't bother me.

tom 

I have a 1.5TSI manual and am not happy about its mileage

I average around 370~miles with one full gas of tank, with 430~miles being the absolute most I can get out of my car (but I have to drive out of town like a grandpa to achieve that)

but I accept that since car is nearly perfect in every other aspect and for the fact I won't have to deal with diesel DPF failing any more like in my previous car.

• Like 1

@Fux  How many litres of petrol is that used to do 370 miles?

We have yet to see any posts on here of anyone requiring a replacement GPF for their TSI which is fair enough considering they were fitted first in 2018 on some models. 

Time will tell what the cost is for a new GPF when fitted at Main Dealers.

Wouldn’t it make more sense to look at a smaller engine Superb, or an Octavia? SUVs have all the aero properties of a breeze block. They’re never going to get the fuel usage of a car. A point well illustrated using the poster above getting less than 400 miles from their 1.5TSI. I get more than that from my 2.0TSI vRS 🤷🏻‍♂️

41 minutes ago, kenfowler3966 said:

I thought the mode always reverts to standard when next restarted? My car does?

Mine sticks with whatever mode I left it in ........ or, at least, it tells me that it has. Is there a difference between manuals and autos?

2 hours ago, StEdmund said:

Mine sticks with whatever mode I left it in ........ or, at least, it tells me that it has. Is there a difference between manuals and autos?

I would like mine to stay in eco but it won’t, always back in drive after a restart. May stay in sport but haven’t bothered with that as still available instantly with gear  selector when needed

3 hours ago, kenfowler3966 said:

I thought the mode always reverts to standard when next restarted? My car does?

If I select sport or eco mode the gear indicator goes to S or E. Turn off and restart and back to D again.

Yes. My 1.5 TSI DSG does that as well - reverts to normal 'D' mode whenever you start the car.

Before the Skoda I had an Audi which always started with whatever mode it was last used in - Sport, Eco, etc.

I've no idea about the operation of DSG, my car is a 2WD manual - and I am beginning to wonder if we are talking about the same thing.when we use the term 'mode'. I am talking about the button in the centre console that says 'MODE' - it gives me a choice of 4 'modes' - Eco, Normal, Sport and Individual. I have now fiddled about within the 'Individual' mode, arriving at:

Steering:  Sport

Drive:  Eco

Dyn. cornering light*:  Sport        [what is a dyn. cornering light?]

Aircon:  Eco

I'll see how I get on with that particular combination.