Koni Special Actives: Front Only or All 4

38 minutes ago, MarkyG82 said:

Did you try without springs (ie stock height) on either car? I need to get top mounts etc done (speed bumps grrr) and wondering if I get springs chucked in at the same time. The handling is still on the sloppy side even with a rear roll bar. I just don't want to ruin it. I did enjoy my lowered Octavia on on B6 so lowered with SAs may be a softer version.

Nah never tried them with standard springs. I’d imagine they would be better but still not that sharp.. I reckon with these it’s as sharp as my previous octavia with just H&R. Certainly a lot more compliant and less crashy. 
it was odd taking them off and going to standard shocks and springs when I sold the previous superb tho. Very boat like. Also driving the new one home was agin quite wafty lol. Really happy with set up now but the H&R anti toll bars are tempting me. Might seek a little more power with a sport cat down pipe and intercooler before I go with roll bar. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Esseesse200 said:

Money we’ll spent Mark. You’ll not regret it. I sold the diesel and brought at 272 and transferred the shocks over with some new H&R springs.. tis marvellous 

oh and had it mapped lol 

E5F4410B-454D-44A8-9683-5C383EE44FB3.jpeg

ED0AB186-210B-4411-BAAD-32CBEA1DA8AD.jpeg

Looking good! Shocks being fitted Thursday (hopefully) so time will tell.  Even if I could find a 272/280 I couldn't take the mpg hit. I've averaged 52.7 over the last 4 years. Anyway back to what matters, how much bhp with the remap?😀

20 hours ago, Markbro said:

Looking good! Shocks being fitted Thursday (hopefully) so time will tell.  Even if I could find a 272/280 I couldn't take the mpg hit. I've averaged 52.7 over the last 4 years. Anyway back to what matters, how much bhp with the remap?😀

😂😂 it averages 40mpg on a run !! 
you’ll love the konis 

360bhp 530nm 0-60mph 4’s 60-120 in 11’s

• Love it! 1

@Esseesse200 did some digging today and found a little info on the springs on my car. You may not be able to answer my questions.

The wire diameter of the eibach pro front is smaller than the stock (12.2mm Vs 12.8mm) if I count the coils on my stock spring and compare to the prokit one can I draw a conclusion over the stiffness?

Same for the rear but the wire diameter is actually the same between the stock and prokit (13.5mm). 

I know the specified length of each spring so I can work out how many coils for a given distance and predict the stiffness. Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Basically I'm trying to understand the effects on the feel of lowering as I believe the stock springs I have fitted are quite hard given the added weight of electric drive bits across the car. Most of the sites I look at suggest the same springs sets as for the 2.0 models.

Thanks. That's interesting info.

Front eibach is somewhere between ii and iii with the same length.

Rear is fewer coils (stiffer?) and thicker wire (stiffer again) but shorter. I guess the shorter free length makes up for a stiffer spring. Would that make for a harder rear? I'll count the coils on the installed coils and see how they compare. Might even measure the wire diameter if I can find my Vernier.

looks like H&R springs come only in sets,
if true, then there isn't option for adding stiffness without lowering as with Eibach

-> https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/485647-bilstein-b6-dcc-shock-absorbers-available-at-last/?do=findComment&comment=5625462

springs specs compare:

Eibach part code Outlet Inner Wire Length Coils mm.Lowering  
11-85-041-01-VA 136.5   12.25 249 4.75 -40    
11-85-042-03-FA 136.5   12.50 248 4.75 -30    
11-85-043-01-FA 150.0   13.25 267 5.00 ??    
11-85-043-02-FA 150.0   13.50 267 5.00 0   ***
11-85-043-03-FA 150.0   13.75 262 5.00 ??    

H&R 28784 VA (F) Outlet Inner Wire Length Coils mm.Lowering  
    128 11,5 247 4,50 ??    
1x white   128 11,5 256 4,50 ??    
2x white   147 13 247 4,70 ??    

OEM 5Q0411105GL           -10    
OEM 5Q0411105GM 150     320   0    
alternatives Outlet Inner Wire Length Coils mm.Lowering  
SACHS 993 905 146   12,25 315        
Bilstein 37-293130                
Suplex 39518 146   12,25 315        
Spidan 87622 146   12,25 315        

• Thanks 1

@MarkyG82

front is perfect now, rear axle still isn't done,

Tuning-Expert.com ignores my prayers about ship-out Bilstein B6 DampTronic 20-267537 ordered in August.

Month after month they report "out of stock" and PayPal protection already ran out 😞

p.s.

have to make new measures.

visually, front dropped ~ 5mm during few months

• Like 1

On 25/05/2022 at 22:19, MarkyG82 said:

Thanks. That's interesting info.

Front eibach is somewhere between ii and iii with the same length.

Rear is fewer coils (stiffer?) and thicker wire (stiffer again) but shorter. I guess the shorter free length makes up for a stiffer spring. Would that make for a harder rear? I'll count the coils on the installed coils and see how they compare. Might even measure the wire diameter if I can find my Vernier.

That’ll defo make for a harder rear 

• Like 1

Konis fitted yesterday and I'm happy to report they make a big difference. I'm also running H&R lowering springs along with poly bushes in the rear.

Instantly the car feels more planted and slightly harder giving a more sporty feel to the setup. I had many country roads where the car would loose it's composure at relatively slow speeds due to undulations in the road. I've tested most of these with the konis and the issues I had are now gone. 

Speed bumps were woeful before, my mud flaps used to touch on a daily basis at anything above crawling speed. Now I can go over the same bump at a higher speed without any issues. I always felt that the shocks were inadequate and made the car unsafe under certain circumstances but now I have far more confidence in the car especially on unknown roads. Highly recommended😀🏎

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
On 08/05/2022 at 05:56, MunsterScot said:

Well I went for all 4.  Fitted them yesterday along with a new engine mount on the gearbox side.  Took the car for a short run.  Runs smoother and handles better.  The bounciness on the front is gone.  Early days but worth it so far.

For info:  I ended up buying them from Auto-Doc.  €494 (£421) delivered to Ireland.  Other prices I could find were €636 (Winparts), €505 (Amazon.de),  €535 (Amazon.fr) But not in stock with Amazon), €700 ( (from UK) + import tax (thanks Brexit) 

• Front: 8745-1388
  • Rear: 8245-1387

So, like most things these days, shop around for prices before ordering.

Any issues with your suspension?

My front passenger side shock decided to unthread itself!

I ordered from Autodoc as well and I am going through the warranty procedure. They came back with the response below:

"Unfortunately, the part 8745-1388 KONI from order No. 66464866 is not compatible with your vehicle. This could be grounds for the manufacturer to refuse warranty service."

I have a fwd 2016 2.0tdi 190bhp combi and all appeared to match when I ordered. 

Did I get it wrong, I thought others with 2wd and same car had used these?

Thanks 

17 hours ago, Markbro said:

¿Algún problema con tu suspensión?

¡Mi amortiguador del lado del pasajero delantero decidió desenroscarse solo!

También hice un pedido a Autodoc y estoy pasando por el procedimiento de garantía. Volvieron con la respuesta a continuación:

"Desafortunadamente, la pieza 8745-1388 KONI del número de pedido 66464866 no es compatible con su vehículo. Esto podría ser motivo para que el fabricante rechace el servicio de garantía".

Tengo un combi fwd 2016 2.0tdi 190bhp y todo parecía coincidir cuando ordené. 

¿Me equivoqué, pensé que otros con 2wd y el mismo auto habían usado estos?

Gracias 

I don't know which thread I commented on, I also have Koni SA and the references are what you say.

I had problems with a shock absorber as soon as it was installed, it made a noise (clonk) when turning the steering wheel and when starting the march.  Thanks to the fact that the workshop bought and installed another one, now it is going well, but they told me that Koni Spain considered that this noise was normal and did not correspond to a guarantee.  

The noise was incompatible with safe and pleasant driving.

I will never install Koni again or recommend it to anyone.  

Good luck!!

• Thanks 1

I ordered from Autodoc as well and I am going through the warranty procedure. They came back with the response below:

"Unfortunately, the part 8745-1388 KONI from order No. 66464866 is not compatible with your vehicle. This could be grounds for the manufacturer to refuse warranty service."

Thanks 

@Markbro  Not had any issues with the shocks.  I fitted the rears myself - easy job.  I got a local garage to fit the fronts.  I fitted new front top mounts at the same time as they can go causing knocking or grinding noises when turning.

What part of the shock decided to unthread itself?

Picture of the shock attached.  It appears that it unthreaded itself maybe when the wheel was turning?  I did approx. 13.000 km without any issue and then I could hear a noise from the front suspension which got progressively worse.  My mechanic also said he fitted new front top mounts/bushings as far as I can recall.

Now trying to ascertain if they are the correct part for the car or not.

IMG_20221220_105444.jpg

IMG_20221220_122754.jpg

Edited by Markbro
  • Confused 1

32 minutes ago, Markbro said:

Adjunto foto del choque. Parece que se desenroscó tal vez cuando la rueda estaba girando. hice aprox. 13 000 km sin ningún problema y luego escuché un ruido de la suspensión delantera que fue empeorando progresivamente. Mi mecánico también dijo que instaló nuevos soportes / bujes superiores delanteros, por lo que puedo recordar.

Ahora tratando de determinar si son la parte correcta para el automóvil o no.

IMG_20221220_105444.jpg

IMG_20221220_122754.jpg

It's a manufacturing defect, of course.  KONI's quality leaves a lot to be desired.

@Markbro  8745-1388 are the same as what I have on the front of my car.  I have a 2017 2.0 TDi 190BHP DSG Combi.  So looks like similar to what you have. 

As mentioned I've not had any issues with them and they have been fitted for approx. 8 months and I've done over 27k Km with them fitted. 

35 minutes ago, MunsterScot said:

@Markbro  8745-1388 are the same as what I have on the front of my car.  I have a 2017 2.0 TDi 190BHP DSG Combi.  So looks like similar to what you have. 

As mentioned I've not had any issues with them and they have been fitted for approx. 8 months and I've done over 27k Km with them fitted. 

Is yours fwd as well?

I know others have used them so just trying to see if there are many others with the same car so I can argue the case if it comes to it. 

I know @Esseesse200had them on the diesel and now petrol but both were 4wd (but I don't think that makes any difference to fitment).

On 03/01/2023 at 21:22, Markbro said:

Thanks 

Looking at the autodoc site

You ordered https://www.autodoc.co.uk/koni/12776163 which states they are for the Octavia.

This is the one they have listed for the Superb, https://www.autodoc.co.uk/koni/12776112

Maybe you could tell them that you fitted them to an Octavia?

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Gabrielem said:

Easier still... Refer autodoc to the official Koni page.

http://j13187.servers.jiffybox.net/com/en/finder/skoda/superb/superb-combi-3

That's the one. Perfect thanks, I knew I had checked on their site at some stage.

Question now is why Autodoc have a different shock advertised. Have Koni revised the spec without updating their own info or are Autodoc just wrong?

Is yours fwd as well?

I know others have used them so just trying to see if there are many others with the same car so I can argue the case if it comes to it. 

I know @Esseesse200had them on the diesel and now petrol but both were 4wd (but I don't think that makes any difference to fitment).

@Markbro  My car is FWD.  I was going to post the link to the Koni page but @Gabrielem beat me to it.  

If you look up Superb 3 on www.koniuk.co.uk the number quoted for front special actives is 8745-1388 as well:

image.thumb.png.9a1b10f5169def38a680b11f0aec1ed8.png

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, MunsterScot said:

@Markbro  My car is FWD. I was going to post the link to the Koni page but@Gabrielem beat me to it.  

If you look up Superb 3 on www.koniuk.co.uk the number quoted for front special actives is 8745-1388 as well:

/cdn-cgi/mirage/52f8eec49ddaee679b8ebd6b24ba6822c8df9658117a4e941e8b6c0726cc8f04/1280/https://www.briskoda.net/forums/uploads/monthly_2023_01/image.thumb.png.9a1b10f5169def38a680b11f0aec1ed8.png

Thanks, I emailed Autodoc this morning with the information so now waiting to hear back. I also queried if their info is correct (i.e. possibly an updated spec from KONI). If they replace them I want to be sure I have the correct shocks.

On 04/01/2023 at 19:22, Markbro said:

Picture of the shock attached.  It appears that it unthreaded itself maybe when the wheel was turning?  I did approx. 13.000 km without any issue and then I could hear a noise from the front suspension which got progressively worse.  My mechanic also said he fitted new front top mounts/bushings as far as I can recall.

Now trying to ascertain if they are the correct part for the car or not.

/cdn-cgi/mirage/190e0babfd6bd9663f569518f878643094c11ca8ce9e61d9b9bba60525b67069/1280/https://www.briskoda.net/forums/uploads/monthly_2023_01/IMG_20221220_105444.thumb.jpg.24d76fafd449e7fe47bd51d1fcf1df17.jpg

/cdn-cgi/mirage/190e0babfd6bd9663f569518f878643094c11ca8ce9e61d9b9bba60525b67069/1280/https://www.briskoda.net/forums/uploads/monthly_2023_01/IMG_20221220_122754.thumb.jpg.7a7980adfee4b420dcd48c1717259b47.jpg

One of my rear popped and was replaced free of charge no questions asked. Could have been how they were fitted. If top mounts fitted with a windy gun it can unscrew the shock from the inside !! 

• Thanks 1