How to change Battery for Octavia 2017

I am planning to change my car battery. Is it straight swap or I need VCDS diagnostic to change the setting for battery. I am planning to go for Halfords AGM027 Start Stop Car (5 Year Guarantee) for £150. Any other recommendation?

N.B: My car is 4.5 years old and it requires battery changing..I mean at least symptoms says battery needs changing. Is their anyway i can check and confirm the condition of battery?

Thanks 

Good morning Automass, a full charge, then load test on battery  will confirm condition of battery in question - but this requires access to charger and test instrument.

Replacement battery will require 'coding' to vehicle, where, at least, the battery serial number needs to be changed to tell the BCM that a new battery has been fitted. If the type of battery (EFB/AGM) is also being changed, this must be coded too.

Ask workshop supplying new battery if they are equipped to do this coding, otherwise you will need to contact someone who can.

I believe there is a register of forum members who have the necessary equipment for coding.

• Like 1

Good morning Warrior193. Came to halfords and they tested the battery. Replacement was the advice came up after diagnostic. Now buying the batttery and got £10 off by joining to their club. They will do coding which is basically to let the car know that it has got new battery.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, nige8021 said:

Have a look at https://www.tayna.co.uk/  they will be cheaper than halfrauds 

£125.99 and 4 years warranty. I paid £146 and it has got 5 years warranty. In case of any problem I can take it to halfords. I think halfords is the better of.

Edited by automass

11 hours ago, automass said:

In case of any problem I can take it to halfords. I think halfords is the better of.

I admire your confidence in Halfords, but don't share it - from personal experience over many years combined with posts on multiple car forums the competence of Halfords can be at best sketchy, so they're not a supplier I'd trust to do any work on cars of mine, parts yes but work no for me.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi PetrolDave, I am not a big fan of halfords as well. It would be the last shop for me to go to. In this case, for battery I think physical shop is batter than online shop. Moreover I got them replace, recycle and coding for £148 with 5years warranty. aIn case nything goes wrong i can go back to them.

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

9 hours ago, automass said:

In this case, for battery I think physical shop is batter than online shop. 

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one - I've had great experience of Tayna over many cars and many years. The price advantage, the difficulty of getting any organisation to honour a warranty and my lack of trust in Halfrauds is just too much for the local vs online factor to overcome (plus I own a HEX-NET2 VCDS cable so coding takes me 5 minutes).