Octavia II 4X4 under floor Boot Space

I'm looking to buy an Octavia 1.9 TDI PD 4x4 for a conversion to vegetable oil and a few modest performance mods. 

I was looking at the 4x4 because it has the 6 speed gearbox, which I understand is stronger than the 5 speed.

Anyway, I was wondering about the space under the boot floor - on the Octavia MK1, I know there's space for a spare wheel and a second fuel tank, but I can't find any information on the Mk2, especially with 4x4 (does the haldex take up boot space?).

Does anyone have any info?

I've attached a picture from a Mk1

download.jpeg

It takes up some boot space as the floor is slightly raised compared to a non 4x4 so you can't have the variable boot floor  but there is still a spare wheel well which on ours took a full size spare. 

You can have the variofloor but by doing so there would not be the depth remaining for a full width spare wheel so it would have to be a spacesaver, cue all the postings about one not being homologated for the Octavia 4x4.

On my Yeti 4x4 I have a variofloor and carry the space saver on top when I use it, there is enough depth for it but it leaves only a tiny amount of space around it.

To the OP the Haldex coupling and controller don't take up boot space themselves but the differential does.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, skomaz said:

It takes up some boot space as the floor is slightly raised compared to a non 4x4 so you can't have the variable boot floor  but there is still a spare wheel well which on ours took a full size spare. 

On  the Mk1, there's space for a spare and a tank - on the Mk2, is it just space for a space / spacesaver?

26 minutes ago, J.R. said:

You can have the variofloor but by doing so there would not be the depth remaining for a full width spare wheel so it would have to be a spacesaver, cue all the postings about one not being homologated for the Octavia 4x4.

On my Yeti 4x4 I have a variofloor and carry the space saver on top when I use it, there is enough depth for it but it leaves only a tiny amount of space around it.

To the OP the Haldex coupling and controller don't take up boot space themselves but the differential does.

Are you saying variofloor actually reduces the space available under the floor?

I'm aware the Haldex clutch, pump etc is all attached to the diff, I just wasn't sure if there were two different floor panels used for models with/out 4wd.

21 minutes ago, ChunHall said:

On  the Mk1, there's space for a spare and a tank - on the Mk2, is it just space for a space / spacesaver?

Just space for a spare wheel.  You might get a small tank in side the dish of the wheel, or alternatively ditch the spare, carry a repair kit and pump in one of the side cubbys and get a tank the size and shape of the wheel well. 

One thing to remember though is that the 2.0 pd tdi 4x4 had a dpf so you'd have to get a 1.9... 

7 hours ago, skomaz said:

Just space for a spare wheel.  You might get a small tank in side the dish of the wheel, or alternatively ditch the spare, carry a repair kit and pump in one of the side cubbys and get a tank the size and shape of the wheel well. 

One thing to remember though is that the 2.0 pd tdi 4x4 had a dpf so you'd have to get a 1.9... 

That's annoying 🤔

I might have to look at putting a tank to one side of the boot. I don't like the idea of being without a spare...

I'm happy with the 1.9 - it's a good engine, and I really can't be arsed with all the hassles of a DPF.

Edited by ChunHall
Added info

47 minutes ago, StevesTruck said:

Can you run PD's on veggy? I thought it was just the older VE engine in the mk1's that would take it?

There seem to be enough people doing it with the 1.9 TDIs and SDIs. I think it's the DPF that stops it being used on newer engines.

If SVO capacity is an issue perhaps you could use the standard tank for SVO and fit an auxiliary DERV tank in the spare wheel well or even inside the standard tank.

In any case I didn't think the 1.9 PD was suitable for SVO or an SVO/DERV blend, it's prohibited according to the fuel filler flap sticker and I've never heard of anyone successfully using it for any length of time.

I did run a 405 1.9 TD on it for years without issue other than a knackered o-ring on the fuel filter housing which allowed air to be drawn in and subsequent engine stalling at anything above a light load, 5 minute fix once diagnosed.  It started fine, ran quieter, went well-more power and smelled yummy like a BBQ.  This was the 1.9 with Bosch fuel pump, I believe the Lucas alternative didn't fare so well.

The OP seems to be looking at what others have done.   Best that people know the differences with SVO or WVO. 

It is worth people saying what country they are in and in what climate. 

There are threads on the forum if anyone does a search. 

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/278309-my-unsuccessful-journey-into-veg-oil

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/502471-views-on-bio-diesel

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/492356-vegetable-oil

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/467506-veg-oil

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/359472-veg-oil-in-my-2001-tdi-90bhp-octavia-my-experience-so-far

Edited by roottoot

11 hours ago, ChunHall said:

There seem to be enough people doing it with the 1.9 TDIs and SDIs. I think it's the DPF that stops it being used on newer engines.

It's been a long time since I've done it. I used to run an Astravan on veg oil, but that's going back 15 years. I always took the rule of thumb to be if it's a Bosch pump, it's got a chance of working, anything else, don't even try. I always thought the older VE pumps, be it D/TD/TDI were ok if they had a Bosch pump, but the PD and SDI aren't at all. 

I should probably clarify the setup I envisage:

TL;DR

I've done a fair amount of planning and research for the fuel system, I'm just trying to work out if there's enough space to fit another fuel tank in a way that looks "OEM".

• Car starts on diesel (probably premium diesel to help clean the injectors).

• Once engine is up to temperature, the fuel supply switches to a separate tank filled with veg oil - probably waste veg oil (WVO) pre-filtered to <5micron, possibly thinned using 3% kerosene-free (for tax purposes) white spirit.

• I'd keep all relevant paperwork as proof of what has been produced (ie. I'd try to stay below the 2,500l/yr limit for fuel duty).

• The veg oil passes through a heat exchanger to lower the viscosity before hitting the injectors.

• Before engine is shut off, fuel system is purged to return veg oil (and a small amount of diesel) into into the veg oil tank.

I've given some thought to electronics for automatically switching to veg tank once temp is reached and fuel level is enough, switching back to diesel is veg level is low, purging fuel lines with ignition off etc. This could all easily be done manually, but automatic would be pretty cool.

I would also like to change some parts like intake, injectors, and head bolts to the PD150 versions (probably turbo, exhaust and intercooler if budget permits) and remap to ≈170bhp on diesel, which might give ≈160bhp on veg oil.

Nothing wild - just enough.

From my memory owning a Fabia, there wouldn't be space for a second tank. From my memory owning an Octavia1 (1.9 TDI L&K 😏) there would be space under the boot floor for a tank.

Like I said, I understand the 6 speed is meant to be more durable than the 5 speed, so it seems my choices are Octavia 4x4 (which would make a cool vRS replica) or Fabia vRS...

5 speed would probably be okay, but it seems then even then I don't gain the under-floor boot space of the Octavia1 😔

• Like 1

^^^

All good stuff if you have time on your hand, an interest in doing it and a good source of free or cheap used oil. 

Some find it easier to spend the time doing a bit of work that earns enough to just buy fuel from filling stations and run an economic car. 

23 minutes ago, roottoot said:

^^^

All good stuff if you have time on your hand, an interest in doing it and a good source of free or cheap used oil. 

Some find it easier to spend the time doing a bit of work that earns enough to just buy fuel from filling stations and run an economic car. 

I agree most people would probably be better off working to earn the difference in fuel prices.

I'm not really doing this for an economic reason. I have a spare car, which I need to sell for around £6k, and thought it might be an opportunity to get a "fun" project car. I don't expect fuel prices to go down any time soon, so the conversion seems like a sensible move for something "fun".

• Thanks 1

Have you not asked yet?

All can be good if they have to pay to have the oil collected and they can get some away to someone they trust that will not dump what they get.

The issue can be is where whoever collects now pays for what they get. 

I haven't asked yet.

I'm hoping that they have to pay to get rid of it 🤞

But even if someone else collects for free/pays for it, I'll still be buying for pennies per litre instead of £s 🤷‍♂️

Worst case, there's another 4 chipshops in town, and the retail park with McDonalds is next door to me too! 🤣🤣

I have a few things to tidy up on the other car before it's sold, so I could be a few weeks off buying the vegmobile, let alone getting any work done to it.  I've got plenty of time to search for vegan juice.

25 minutes ago, ChunHall said:

the retail park with McDonalds is next door to me too! 🤣🤣

Don't McD's claim their delivery fleet is run on the used oil ? so I wouldn't count on them for any cheap/free oil 

• Like 1