Remap of my 2017 Skoda 190 4x4 DSG- My thoughts

Having previously used a DTUK tuning Box and Pedal Box on my 2017 Superb without any problem my car went into the dealer for a service and when it came back whenever I gave it a little hard throttle the car would go into limp mode and I would have to stop the car - switching off the ignition and back on seemed to clear the problem.  However worried that the Tuning Box with the pedal box was causing an issue I removed them both and the car then ran to normal factory settings without further incident.  I decided IK still needed to improve throttle response and give it a little more pep so as my car is out of warranty decided on a  Stage 1 remap instead.

I am not disappointed by the results as my car runs much more smoothly with and no lag when I put my foot down and smother through the gears which helps when pulling out of junctions or overtakes.  Just to note I didn't get it re-mapped to go faster particularly  because if I wanted something sporty I wouldn't have bought an estate car in the first place.  It is simply more pleasurable to drive and much cheaper than buying a new car

I have the same engine in a Passat Estate, our family shed, and no amount of change with OBDEleven gave the same effect as an engine and DSG remap. 

My motivation for a remap was exactly the same. The power and torque benefits were an added bonus, as was the MPG benefit!

On the Superb (220 Sportline) the OBDEleven change was sufficient, so I’m holding off a remap (for now, it won’t last). 

Edited by RobM
  • Like 1

@Muff  Did you get the DSG remapped as well or just the engine.  A DSG remap will make the gear changes quicker and raise the torque limit in the gear box allowing you to take full benefit of the engine remap.  I the standard DSG map limits the to torque the gearbox will use to either 400 or 450 NM.  So you are not getting the full benefit of the engine remap.

In case you are worried about the increased torque going through the gearbox damaging it don't.  The gearbox can handle a lot more.  I remapped both the engine and DSG on my 2017 2.0 TDi 190BHP a year ago and never had a problem and I'm at approx. 340,000KM.  I also have a 2011 2.0 TDi 170BHP DSG VW Passat CC that I remapped the engine and DSG on 6 years ago.  It is now on 245,000 miles and has never missed a beat.  Routine engine and DSG services and all is good.

• Love it! 1

7 hours ago, RobM said:

Tengo el mismo motor en un Passat Estate, el cobertizo de nuestra familia, y ninguna cantidad de cambio con OBDEleven dio el mismo efecto que una reasignación de motor y DSG. 

Mi motivación para una reasignación fue exactamente la misma. ¡Los beneficios de potencia y torque fueron una ventaja adicional, al igual que el beneficio de MPG!

En el Superb (220 Sportline), el cambio de OBDEleven fue suficiente, por lo que pospongo una reasignación (por ahora, no durará). 

Obviously you can't compare a repro with a couple of OBD11 mods, since there is no increase in Torque and power, but for being "free" mods they are really noticeable (increase in power in Audi mode and direct throttle).

8 hours ago, MunsterScot said:

@Muff  Did you get the DSG remapped as well or just the engine.  A DSG remap will make the gear changes quicker and raise the torque limit in the gear box allowing you to take full benefit of the engine remap.  I the standard DSG map limits the to torque the gearbox will use to either 400 or 450 NM.  So you are not getting the full benefit of the engine remap.

In case you are worried about the increased torque going through the gearbox damaging it don't.  The gearbox can handle a lot more.  I remapped both the engine and DSG on my 2017 2.0 TDi 190BHP a year ago and never had a problem and I'm at approx. 340,000KM.  I also have a 2011 2.0 TDi 170BHP DSG VW Passat CC that I remapped the engine and DSG on 6 years ago.  It is now on 245,000 miles and has never missed a beat.  Routine engine and DSG services and all is good.

Can I ask who you used for the tuning??

8 hours ago, MunsterScot said:

@k.youngI used a Viezu agent local to me.  https://viezu.ie/  I have used Viezu on three different cars now and never had a problem.  Results have always been good. 

One thing though is that to do the DSG remap the garage needs a special cable to connect to the DSG and not all places have it.  For my VW CC I used Fiachra Purcell Motors in Kilcock.  I think they are now: https://vtcperformance.com/  and do custom remaps as well now.  They shouldn't be too far from you.

• 1 month later...
On 15/05/2022 at 08:38, MunsterScot said:

@k.youngI used a Viezu agent local to me.  https://viezu.ie/  I have used Viezu on three different cars now and never had a problem.  Results have always been good. 

One thing though is that to do the DSG remap the garage needs a special cable to connect to the DSG and not all places have it.  For my VW CC I used Fiachra Purcell Motors in Kilcock.  I think they are now: https://vtcperformance.com/  and do custom remaps as well now.  They shouldn't be too far from you.

Thaks for that.

I'm dropping from my 2016 190tdi to a 2019 150tdi in a couple of months.......... and I don't want to feel robbed of power/torque.

• Like 1

On 14/05/2022 at 09:53, Gabrielem said:

Without increasing CV but increasing engine response and removing throttle lag, you could have done it with OBD11 at no cost.

Is it possible to do the same with VCDS?

22 hours ago, Bap33 said:

Is it possible to do the same with VCDS?

I did via OBD11 I did notice difference but nothing great!  

Also on the topic, Just go for a generic stage 1 map from REVO or OEM+, especially they been the most established.