Skoda Fabia MK2 5J 2011 Facelift 1.2 60HP Day time running lights

18 minutes ago, Pete_Ex-Wino said:

The window motors themselves contain the electronics modules.

On earlier cars (post facelift mk1 to pre-facelift mk2) they had no data (LIN) connections to anything except each other across the car, but from facelift mk2 they also connect into the BCM.

Not sure whether BCM or the driver's side module is the LIN master controller, it was the driver's side module in previous versions.

This has made me very happy hearing this information if it is a dead BCM do you have the ability to fix it as im not good at SMD soldering let me know a price for that as you are the pro lol if not ill have to look into some options of second hand BCMs from what im reading online it seems like they needed to be coded so i think i would rather have the BMC for this car repaired i don't wish it to be the case but its always good to have a backup plan.

More likely a problem with the drivers side motor module, in my opinion (if it isn't just wires with open/short circuits). I might possibly have one of the right part number you could test to see, let me know what's written on yours.

I think the code is this 6R0959802 Let me know if this sounds right i did find a part via that number that matched sorry im at work so just viewed a pic i took of it a while ago.

Yeah, that sounds right, especially if there's an M on the end of that.

One I have is off an Ibiza I think, and a bit earlier, early 2010 from memory, but it might give you more of an idea where the problem is, especially if it just works.

Right we have a problem no signs of life on pin 17 on the BCM window pin nothing on a continuity test but there is a direct short to ground from pin 16 on the a puller but not on Bcm nothing on Bcm pins no shorts on the Bcm side I have checked all pins and no shorts luckily but this seems to not be good when ever I mess with the higher part of the loom the shot impedance drops down to 0.02 so nearly not a short I have made it in shot by messing with the harness I’m not really sure what to do now 

It's correct for pin 16 at the a-pillar connector (body side) to be connected/shorted to ground, that's what an earth wire should do.

Pin 5 of same a-pillar connector (and nearside a-pillar connector) need to connect to pin 17 of the white BCM connector (and not to earth/chassis).

Not completely clear to me whether your testing above is in agreement with the above or not?

1 hour ago, Pete_Ex-Wino said:

It's correct for pin 16 at the a-pillar connector (body side) to be connected/shorted to ground, that's what an earth wire should do.

Pin 5 of same a-pillar connector (and nearside a-pillar connector) need to connect to pin 17 of the white BCM connector (and not to earth/chassis).

Not completely clear to me whether your testing above is in agreement with the above or not?

Right I have replaced the broken cable for the Bcm the signal wire and now its showing on pin 17 on the Bcm now but still shows there is a short even though I have chopped the cable 

9 minutes ago, Pete_Ex-Wino said:

Might be shorting on its way to pin 5 of the other, nearside, a-pillar connector?

i have removed the cable completely and replaced it with a temp cable to test with well insulated spade connectors and it seems to still be on body ground but not the brown ground wires anymore maby it’s my multimeter playing up? 

12 minutes ago, Pete_Ex-Wino said:

Might be shorting on its way to pin 5 of the other, nearside, a-pillar connector?

And just double checked it’s no longer shorting anymore but window has stopped working hmmm I really don’t understand this issue 

There are two grey/white cables that meet somewhere on the way to pin 17 of the white connector, one from pin 5 of each side of the car's a-pillar connectors. Both need to have connectivity to pin 17 and not be shorted to ground. 

18 minutes ago, Pete_Ex-Wino said:

There are two grey/white cables that meet somewhere on the way to pin 17 of the white connector, one from pin 5 of each side of the car's a-pillar connectors. Both need to have connectivity to pin 17 and not be shorted to ground. 

ahh okay interesting looks like I’m going to have to mess about with the other side now then some how at the mo I only have drivers side door connected and still showing a short as I chopped the white and gray cable at the Bcm luckily I have left my self enough to reverse the thing I have done but I might try and run a new white and gray from the passages side of the car to the same connection to see if the negative shot goes away as this might be a signal as when the door is unplugged shot goes away but the new harness has nothing wrong with it no brakes and no issues in side of the harness as well I might test the broken harness to see if this is the same issue as it’s could be a dead module by the sounds of what I’m seeing 

Right the issue has been solved the new harness was not playing ball not sure why and gave up on it there is nothing wrong with it matching pin outs but I won’t go there it has been winding me up since 6pm it is now 12pm so what the issue is nothing the Bcm is fine as the short was the ground cable that I chopped out and for good Measure I chopped out the gray and white cable and replaced the hole cable for drivers door only this will soon be the case for the passenger side door as well as the cable is dead the window module is finally working correctly as in tended so we will soon see tomorrow if my hard work paid off the Bcm was not happy about being unplugged 5times today but everything is normal now the saying blood swet and tears was real today if something else wiring related goes wrong im generally going to have a mental breakdown lol 

19 minutes ago, UrbanPanzer said:

Did I not say it was a door wiring issue ? 😛

So, its all fully working as it should now ? I have not fully followed what your last post said.

So not fully but the drivers side door is working as per the Manual but passenger side door is not working but I know why it’s cuz I chopped the gray and white wire going from that door to the Bcm to get rid of a weird short I will need to run a new wire the lights are still stuck on so no idea what that’s about probably a dealer ship option that’s stuck on my model as it’s seems to be the base fabia with only a radio upgrade from the dealer that’s it really as I have the swing instead of the lower tier option as the engine I have is a BBM so a 1.2 3cylinder polo engine 

17 minutes ago, mk2rs2008 said:

probably a dealer ship option

I can't see a UK Dealership wanting the dip beam headlights to always be on with side lights I'd have thought it's a fault of some sort.

11 minutes ago, nta16 said:

I can't see a UK Dealership wanting the dip beam headlights to always be on with side lights I'd have thought it's a fault of some sort.

Yeah i would think the same but i have seen a lot of skodas over the last couple of days nearly all of them had the same lights on as me i will have a dig into this issue as it could be something sinister like the door wiring looms do you know what pin they link to on the BCM so i can if there shorted to the ground i did find a hidden module for something under the transmission tunnel and i did not see any burnt wires so if you can find a pint out this would be amazing as then i get to the end of the issue with the DRL 

35 minutes ago, mk2rs2008 said:

i did find a hidden module for something under the transmission tunnel 

Was this the item you found on the transmission tunnel ?

1028214049_Furby2AirbagECU.thumb.jpg.f803c21de21a0364111dcb0e4b38dc0c.jpg

If it was it's the airbag ECU 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, nige8021 said:

Was this the item you found on the transmission tunnel ?

1028214049_Furby2AirbagECU.thumb.jpg.f803c21de21a0364111dcb0e4b38dc0c.jpg

If it was it's the airbag ECU 

this would make sense its weird location for an airbag ecu there is 0 tolerance to fit a hand down there i did check the wires coming out of that to make sure there were no bodge jobs done to it.

i did see the transmission tunnel seemed a little loose when i did take it off might be a place for me to check for other issues.

1 hour ago, mk2rs2008 said:

do you know what pin they link to on the BCM

Sorry, I wouldn't have a clue but Pete is very knowledgeable and has access to the information, and knows how to use it, I'd just be swearing and crying about this from the very start.  I think you're doing very well, just I'd remind you not to make any assumptions and doublecheck what you've already doublechecked.  If you can break things down into manageable chunks otherwise it can be easy to get lost or forget - well for me anyway.

4 minutes ago, nta16 said:

Sorry, I wouldn't have a clue but Pete is very knowledgeable and has access to the information, and knows how to use it, I'd just be swearing and crying about this from the very start.  I think you're doing very well, just I'd remind you not to make any assumptions and doublecheck what you've already doublechecked.  If you can break things down into manageable chunks otherwise it can be easy to get lost or forget - well for me anyway.

Yeah i get what you mean lol yeah i phone the skoda dealer where the previous owner brought the car from and they have informed me that my car does not have DRL and its not factory fitted and was not brought as an extra which is not good for me im going to have a hunt through the engine bay tonight and start on the light connectors to see if there is something poking out i have a theory that the burnt-out earth cable has eaten some wires for the rear of the car and the BCM thinks the dipped beams are always on whitch make sense but nothing so fair on this car has made sense.

Pete the wiring god can you please send me the pin out for the dipped lights on the BCM if you have it if not ill prob have to buy the Haynes wiring manual which will make me cry im soo glad im not colour blind.

4 hours ago, mk2rs2008 said:

the Haynes wiring manual

I have no clue about this one but generally I've found Haynes manuals have errors and omissions (not that manufacturer's workshop manuals don't) but updated databases should probably be corrected and have less, stick with a good source of info - but obviously all sources need cross referencing and checking as much as possible - especially if from my direction.

18 minutes ago, nta16 said:

I have no clue about this one but generally I've found Haynes manuals have errors and omissions (not that manufacturer's workshop manuals don't) but updated databases should probably be corrected and have less, stick with a good source of info - but obviously all sources need cross referencing and checking as much as possible - especially if from my direction.

do you have any ideas of where I’m able to find this sort of information as I don’t wanna bug Pete to much as he is a very busy guy :) 

Looking at the various versions of the headlights on the MK2 (2011) the dipped beam supply does not go via the BCM only the side light output from the light switch goes to the BCM