2.0TSI 190 economy

I’m thinking of getting a 2021 Superb 2.0 TSI 190 DSG Sportline estate and am wondering what sort of economy I should expect 

My commute is 80 miles. About half motorway then the other half is 50mph dual carriageway but with a lot of heavy traffic

Is getting early to mid 40s on a run like that unrealistic?

With traffic, probably close enough. Otherwise you should be able to exceed 40mpg if you do motorway miles sensibly. 

But then, if fuel cost is a concern, there are much better ways to cut overall motoring costs...

12 hours ago, simonb82 said:

I’m thinking of getting a 2021 Superb 2.0 TSI 190 DSG Sportline estate and am wondering what sort of economy I should expect 

My commute is 80 miles. About half motorway then the other half is 50mph dual carriageway but with a lot of heavy traffic

Mid to high 40s I would say, if not more.

mileage.jpg

I have that model and you can reckon to get at least 40 mpg on that sort of journey. 
if I were to take my foot off the pedal a bit and concentrate on economy I would say you could achieve 45 mpg but I am not that sort of driver!

On 17/07/2022 at 20:19, simonb82 said:

The 190 Gen3B engine can be very frugal if driven gently.

If you're cruising at 70 on the motorway, 50MPG for the journey should be very attainable.

Granted it’s not the same animal but before I bought my Kodi, I was looking at Superb L&K estates and came across an immaculate 280 with a dealer I’d bought from before. To try and overcome my concerns about the likely fuel consumption he offered me the car for 24 hours.

I have to admit to making the most of it and covered almost 200 very sprightly miles, it was a fantastic car, far superior to just about anything I’d driven in recent times, but the key figure on handing it back was 26.6mpg.

The search continued, ending with my Kodi…which is a diesel.

The 190 tsi is a different engine to the older 2.0s. it has a clever way of changing the combustion cycle (miller?) To make it more frugal. A bit like cylinder on demand some other engines use.

9 hours ago, simonb82 said:

That’s good to hear that I could get 40-50mpg if I drive sensibly. It’s an impressive economy for such a big car

And are people happy with the DSG?

The gearbox usually mated to the TSI190 is the DQ381 which is a great gearbox.

It has the capacity to handle up to 420Nm torque (some say 430Nm), is of the wet-clutch type, and needs servicing at 80,000 miles. (Not sure if there's a time limit on servicing, but I'd guess there is.)

Mine has turned me into a DSG convert, having only owned manual gearbox cars before.

1 hour ago, MarkyG82 said:

The 190 tsi is a different engine to the older 2.0s. it has a clever way of changing the combustion cycle (miller?) To make it more frugal. A bit like cylinder on demand some other engines use.

Here's an animation of the Budack cycle operation. The TLDR is that the Gen3B it closes the inlet valves early to reduce fuel consumption and has a higher compression ratio than the Gen3.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, simonb82 said:

That’s good to hear about the DSG. I didn’t realise the service interval was so long I thought it was every 40k

Yes, I was pretty pleased to hear it, too.

Hat-tip to @roottootwho provided this chart on another thread.

image.thumb.png.6502244b2b5fc85378c6d450d59fe785.png

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ranger said:

the key figure on handing it back was 26.6mpg

That’s what I get driving around town. The very best I have achieved is 38.9 on a 400+ mile drive to Cairnryan. Never bought it for economy though.

Edited by numskull

43 minutes ago, EnterName said:

Here's an animation of the Budack cycle operation. The TLDR is that the Gen3B it closes the inlet valves early to reduce fuel consumption and has a higher compression ratio than the Gen3.

Thanks. I knew it was something that way. If driven correctly it should offer some great economy. Maybe if that's a driver for getting this engine it would be worth doing some homework on it to know how and when to get the most from it.

1 hour ago, MarkyG82 said:

Thanks. I knew it was something that way. If driven correctly it should offer some great economy. Maybe if that's a driver for getting this engine it would be worth doing some homework on it to know how and when to get the most from it.

I drove VAG and then Ford diesels for 20 years before making the switch to petrol to avoid DPF issues.

I loved the lazy grunt of diesel and it was a real wrench to make the swap, but driving the 2.0 150TDI and the 2.0190TSI (Octavias) gives much the same lazy grunt at low revs, with a load of extra oomph at the top end.

I've never regretted the decision to swap, and the only downside so far is the mid-30's MPG tatting around town in traffic. As I hardly do any miles, that's a negligible negative for me.

That said, if I did the right kind of miles, I would probably be still very tempted by a 190TDI as the extra low end grunt of the 190TDI and better fuel economy would have tempted me.

But the 190TSI with the DSG gearbox is a very pleasing combination as far as I'm concerned. (Even better with a remap.)

Edit: The Budack engine seems to do very well on Super Unleaded, rather than standard 95RON and is well worth the relatively little additional cost IMO.

(For me anyway. If I was filling up every week I might change my tune on that bright idea. 😄)

Edited by EnterName
  • Like 1

Thanks for all your replies. Think I need to get a test drive of a 190 TSI to see how I get on with it. Hopefully I can get an extended test drive so I can try my commute and see how I find it does 

1 hour ago, simonb82 said:

Thanks for all your replies. Think I need to get a test drive of a 190 TSI to see how I get on with it. Hopefully I can get an extended test drive so I can try my commute and see how I find it does 

You'll be surprised at how well it goes, but can be extremely economical. I think it's the perfect balance across the engine range.

I'm still amazed at the ~50 MPG on a long run.

• Like 1

I had the 150 TDi before I got the 190 TSi. 
The diesel was a good car with good mpg but you had to leave plenty of time when overtaking. By contrast when you put your foot down on the 190TSi it really shifts and you can feel a huge difference.

It is also a much quieter car at high speeds.

Just driven some long distances on the French autoroutes at 80mph all the way and returned 42mpg. Had I chosen to go a little more gently around 65mph I have no doubt that it would have achieved much better mpg.

• Like 1