Karoq Space Saver

BANKIE BOB

Just picked up a new to me Skoda Karoq after trading in my 2019 Fabia Estate, I am looking for advice on what size of space saver I should buy.

Being old school not to happy running without one.

2 hours ago, BANKIE BOB said:

Just picked up a new to me Skoda Karoq after trading in my 2019 Fabia Estate, I am looking for advice on what size of space saver I should buy.

Being old school not to happy running without one.

Why not a full size spare wheel?

What ever you do, I suggest you first purchase a spare wheel kit. This comprises the foam and jack, etc. so all the parts except the spare wheel itself.

The foam and jack kit is cheap (this kit is only for FWD Karoq NOT 4WD which uses a different kit) at 1,081.99CZK (about £36.92) and can be ordered from a UK Skoda dealer using the OEM part number 57A093860

Sada pro výměnu rezervního kola

https://eshop.skoda-auto.cz/cs_CZ/sady-pro-vymenu-kol/c/setsToChangeWheels?q=%3ApriceAsc%3AcarType%3AKaroq%2B%282017%2B%29&text=#

Maybe a 215/60R16 tyre fitted to a 6Jx16 ET43 5/112 57.1 steel rim will fit? I would have thought so, because that is where your punctured wheel would go.

215/60R16 99H XL spare wheel (with winter tyre fitted)

https://eshop.skoda-auto.cz/cs_CZ/kompletni-zimni-kolo-16-pro-karoq/p/57A073566

The links are to a Czech website, so just use the links for finding information such as OEM part number, specification, photos, approximate price, etc. Once you have the OEM part numbers, it should be easy to order from a Skoda dealer in the UK.

The normal tyre sizes on the Karoq have an outside diameter of about 5% more than the 125/70R18 space saver, ie. the space saver isn't a very good match to the original tyre sizes.

The original tyre sizes on the Karoq are 215/60R16, 215/55R17, 215/50R18, etc.

Outside diameter

125/70R18 632.2mm

215/60R16 664.4mm (5.1% bigger than 125/70R18 space saver)

215/55R17 668.3mm (5.7% bigger than 125/70R18 space saver)

215/50R18 672.2mm (6.3% bigger than 125/70R18 space saver)

wheel-size.com

https://www.wheel-size.com/

Edited by Carlston

Hi,

I posted on this subject some time back. I have a Karok 4WD, and the first time I had a puncture, it was on the of side front wheel.  I replaced the punctured wheel with the space saver, and drove off.  I immediately felt the car pulling hard to the right. I struggled with this for about 5 miles to get me home.  I checked when I got home, and the space saver was Red Hot. Trying to rationalize why this should be, I came to the conclusion that as the space saver was a lot smaller than the wheel it replaced, it was turning a lot faster.  The  Traction Control had assumed I had wheel spin on that side, and was applying the brake. I then switched the Traction Control Off, and the problem was solved

But there is no mention of this problem any where in the Hand Book.

Just a thought for you.  If you have to buy a spare wheel, get a full sized one ?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Orsoncart said:

Hi,

I posted on this subject some time back. I have a Karok 4WD, and the first time I had a puncture, it was on the of side front wheel.  I replaced the punctured wheel with the space saver, and drove off.  I immediately felt the car pulling hard to the right. I struggled with this for about 5 miles to get me home.  I checked when I got home, and the space saver was Red Hot. Trying to rationalize why this should be, I came to the conclusion that as the space saver was a lot smaller than the wheel it replaced, it was turning a lot faster.  The  Traction Control had assumed I had wheel spin on that side, and was applying the brake. I then switched the Traction Control Off, and the problem was solved

Just a thought for you.  If you have to buy a spare wheel, get a full sized one ?

The general consensus, and I would always fit a space saver to the rear and put the full sized rear removed onto the front.

1 hour ago, Orsoncart said:

Hi,

Instead of a 125/70R18 space saver, there are 135/80R18 space saver tyres available.

As you can see in the below charts, 135/80R18 is a much better match to the outside diameter of the standard Karoq tyre sizes.

Outside diameter of standard Karoq tyre sizes compared to 125/70R18 space saver

125/70R18 632.2mm

215/60R16 664.4mm (5.1% bigger than 125/70R18 space saver)

215/55R17 668.3mm (5.7% bigger than 125/70R18 space saver)

215/50R18 672.2mm (6.3% bigger than 125/70R18 space saver)

Outside diameter of standard Karoq tyre sizes compared to 135/80R18 space saver

135/80R18 673.2mm

215/60R16 664.4mm (1.3% smaller than 135/80R18 space saver)

215/55R17 668.3mm (0.7% smaller than 135/80R18 space saver)

215/50R18 672.2mm (0.1% smaller than 135/80R18 space saver)

135/80R18 space saver tyres listed on camskill

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m129b0s7672p0/Temporary_Spare_Tyres_-_Space_Saver_Tyres_-_18_inch_R18_inch_-_135_80_18_135_80R18_R18_inch_-_135_18_135R18

OEM part numbers of some space saver rims

3.5Jx18 ET25 5/112 57.1 space saver steel rim (from Octavia MK3 and some other models)

1K0601027AP 03C

5Q0601027BC 03C

4Jx18 ET28 5/112 57.1 space saver steel rim (from Kodiaq so 145/45R18 space saver tyre is normally fitted to this rim, but 135/80R18 would also fit this 4Jx18 ET28 rim, for use with cars such as Karoq, Superb MK3, etc.)

5QF601027B 03C

With the above OEM part numbers for the space saver rims (without tyres) you should be able to order them from UK Skoda dealers.

However, there seems little point in even using a 135/80R18 space saver (which would fit to the same rim that the 125/70R18 uses) if a 215/60R16 spare wheel fits in the spare wheel well.

Edited by Carlston

3 hours ago, Kenny R said:

The general consensus, and I would always fit a space saver to the rear and put the full sized rear removed onto the front.

Good tip, thanks!

I ordered the space saver spare by accident - I had intended to order the full size as with my previous Karoq. 🙄

However as the boot floor is lower, I do find it gives me more useful space all of the time, against never having had a puncture (lucky I guess) for 4 years and having less space in the boot. 

Hi Kenny R,

That makes a lot of sense, but unless you turn off the Traction Control, the rear {diff} Haldex, will still notice the faster revs on the space saver ?

I have not done this yet, so don't know. 

Turning off TC/ Traction Control, ASR is just the front wheels is it not. 

ESP is different from TC. 

When you fit that Spare which is not too much of a different circumference if you have the right one remember to reset the TPMS as well.

Even if near enough identical it is still a Temporary Spare so you will be wanting to limit your speed to 50 mph max.

Different width, compound, tyre type and pressure and maybe an ickle circumference difference. 

Even if you go Full Size Spare if it does not match the wheel / tyre on the opposite side treat it as an Emergency Spare'.

If it is a Brand New / Unused tyre on the Spare wheel then treat as a 'Green Tyre'.  With care.  

Resetting the TPMS when fitting the spare has nothing to do with having Haldex or just FWD but just the TPMS.

Then reset when back to your cars tyres all set at whatever pressures and the spare off.

Edited by roottoot

Hi Roottoot,

You are confusing me with all those initials !  What Is ESP ?  I thought that was a Magicians trick . There is a considerable difference between the Space saver and the normal wheel. The space saver has "inflate to 60 psi" written on it. The signal that comes up on the dash when I switched off the Traction control, Announced that the "Traction Control/TC" was Off. So they thought they were the same thing. The tyre pressure warning never came on.

I really don't know  if the Traction Control only works on the front wheels. That would seem to me to be rather counter-intuitive on a 4X4

ESP = Electronic Stability Program

Monitor various sensors in the car to modulate brakes and such to keep you on the road say if you loose it going into a corner.

TC = Traction Control, more about when you accelerate hard and your wheels start to spin.  I think this one will reduce engine power and/or apply brakes to keep your wheels from spinning.

EDIT: Here are the official VAG wordings/explanations

Electronic Stability Programme
This system prevents the vehicle from skidding by
selectively intervening in the brake and engine
management systems. The following
abbreviations are used also:

- ASMS (Automatic Stability Management System),
- DSC (Dynamic Stability Control),
- DDC (Driving Dynamic Control),
- VSA (Vehicle Stability Assist) and
- VSC (Vehicle Stability Control).

Traction Control System
This system prevents the driven wheels from
spinning, e.g. on ice or gravel, by intervening in
the brake and engine management systems.

Edited by varooom
  • Like 1

There is another option to the standard space saver kit, full sized alloy in cover mounted to the side of the boot.  Bit left field but works a treat.  Makes a deeper but narrower boot and lots of stuff can be stashed behind the wheel (jack, tools, etc).  No piddling around with space savers or different tyre sizes.  Not for everybody but works for me.

51D20F2E-E6F7-4FB4-8E0F-838F3B8526C6.thumb.jpeg.c707ae2928ae1bdb538ae77ffd6bfd63.jpeg

1F6628EB-EA83-4317-B3E2-04F474A70509.thumb.jpeg.ec086476e8d07e37a2fd20a36a691a16.jpeg

• Like 1

I decided to buy an absolutely identical alloy wheel to the 18” wheel on my Karoq SE-L, and fit the exact same tyre type which I have on the other wheels. That way, if I ever need to use it, I don’t need to consider it as temporary in any way (unlike a full-sized steel wheel). My Karoq SE-L has the Varioflex rear seats, and officially you can’t have a full size spare wheel with these seats, but in fact you can. You just need to cut away a bit of the polystyrene piece which runs along the rear of the Varioflex seats, so that you can access the seat handles. Compared to the space saver which came with the car, I lost a bit of the boot depth, but that was a price I was willing to pay, in order to have a 100% drop-in replacement spare wheel.

Im probably jinxing myself now, but I cannot ever recall having to change a wheel at the roadside. Quite a few slow punctures or flats at home or work, where I have taken the wheel to be repaired/replaced. Perhaps I have been very lucky? I don't know the statistics for punctures and tyre failures, but in 45+ years driving I have covered many miles. 300-400,000?

So is it a "peace of mind" thing? Perhaps others have had a terrible experience, and this made them seek out a decent replacement wheel for future blowouts.

1 hour ago, OldKaroq said:

Im probably jinxing myself now, but I cannot ever recall having to change a wheel at the roadside. Quite a few slow punctures or flats at home or work, where I have taken the wheel to be repaired/replaced. Perhaps I have been very lucky? I don't know the statistics for punctures and tyre failures, but in 45+ years driving I have covered many miles. 300-400,000?

So is it a "peace of mind" thing? Perhaps others have had a terrible experience, and this made them seek out a decent replacement wheel for future blowouts.

I did, once, on the M5. must have been around 1989.  Back then I can't recall there being things such as space savers or quick-fix gunk and it was rare to find tyres the size we find on our cars today. 17" used to be considered large. And calling out rescue services to change a tyre, I'd never heard of it.

But times have changed ( for the better ) in that respect. I don't like the idea of gunk but it's become the norm. I do very much like the idea of space savers tho - I think they're a great solution.

11 hours ago, Mark-Surrey said:

I decided to buy an absolutely identical alloy wheel to the 18” wheel on my Karoq SE-L, and fit the exact same tyre type which I have on the other wheels. That way, if I ever need to use it, I don’t need to consider it as temporary in any way

Both DSL's picture and especially the comment from  Mark Surrey made me laugh.  "I don’t need to consider it as temporary in any way"

Ok so you have a puncture and you change wheels, what happens then? You're going to do exactly the same as someone with a temp space-saver or gunk does and get to a tyre centre a.s.a.p. otherwise you'll be running around with no spare wheel. Apologies but I can't see your logic.  

• Like 1

Location location location.  Like maybe in Scotland and Christmas / new year holidays with people in car it can be a day or 3 till you get that replacement tyres.  Same thing elsewhere in the UK where the tyre might not be in stock like sizes that VW Group SUV,s and others come with.   But these are things that might not be an issue for many who just go with the flow, or maybe at 50 mph max in bad weather with lots of miles to do.  Some carry 2 spares when using winter tyres. 

8 hours ago, roottoot said:

Location location location.  Like maybe in Scotland and Christmas / new year holidays with people in car it can be a day or 3 till you get that replacement tyres.  Same thing elsewhere in the UK where the tyre might not be in stock like sizes that VW Group SUV,s and others come with.   But these are things that might not be an issue for many who just go with the flow, or maybe at 50 mph max in bad weather with lots of miles to do.  Some carry 2 spares when using winter tyres. 

99.99% of the population don't carry 2 spares.  In any case same applies. Even if you are in a remote location, it means you're going 2 to 3 days without any spare. Wouldn't it make more sense to have space saver in car and then if you wish to be ultra cautious, keep a 2nd full size spare at home?

Carrying a full size spare just incase a tyre goes, whilst your a long way from home, you can't replace it for sevarla days, the weather is bad, and there's a need to drive over 50mph. Oh and you drive a Karoq but you're not bothered about only having 2/3rd boot available 365 days of the year.   Frankly, I'd have thought there's more chance of winning this weeks lottery than that happening but there's always someone who'll try to justify the unjustifiable.

Edited by kodiaqsportline
  • Haha 1

Each to their own. 

That is how it works in life, you do what suits your circumstances and situations.

Some can leave the spare in the garage and if they need it get a taxi to collect it or have someone deliver it to them. 

It can be 4 days or more without a replacement tyre north of Inverness or various places around Scotland during the festive period. 

PS

The punctured tyre if not wrecked is still a spare because you can put in gunk in if you need to if you have another puncture and then clean it out yourself when the Tyre Fitter says they can not repair it. 

That is how things actually do work in the real world for some people. 

But for 99.99% of people they might never give things a 2nd thought about what might never happen to them. 

Edited by roottoot

12 minutes ago, roottoot said:

Each to their own. 

That is how it works in life, you do what suits your circumstances and situations.

Some can leave the spare in the garage and if they need it get a taxi to collect it or have someone deliver it to them. 

It can be 4 days or more without a replacement tyre north of Inverness or various places around Scotland during the festive period. 

Never thought about that. Wonder if those with full size spares also change their tread to winters?

Can you even buy winter tyres for space savers? Is their any point? I'm just guessing a space saver would work better in poor winter conditions than a summer tyre would. Wonder what the law says about spare tyres in those colder Euro countries where winter tyres are mandatory. Do you have to change the rubber on a space saver?

Edited by kodiaqsportline
  • Like 1

Many do have a match spare, plenty here buy 5 All Weather / Winter tyres and have said they do over the years.

Some like me might just carry a pair of matching tyres on wheels when on a trip because they are directional tyres.

I might even just put the Winters in the car as spares and they can go on if the roads turn bad as they can over just short distances or a few days.

Self Seal tyres can be a PITA as far as fixing for some.  If they do not self seal.

Also far from home and having to buy an odd tyre can be an expense people might not want to do.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/497839-spare-wheel

Edited by roottoot

9 hours ago, kodiaqsportline said:

I did, once, on the M5. must have been around 1989.  Back then I can't recall there being things such as space savers or quick-fix gunk and it was rare to find tyres the size we find on our cars today. 17" used to be considered large. And calling out rescue services to change a tyre, I'd never heard of it.

But times have changed ( for the better ) in that respect. I don't like the idea of gunk but it's become the norm. I do very much like the idea of space savers tho - I think they're a great solution.

Both DSL's picture and especially the comment from  Mark Surrey made me laugh.  "I don’t need to consider it as temporary in any way"

Ok so you have a puncture and you change wheels, what happens then? You're going to do exactly the same as someone with a temp space-saver or gunk does and get to a tyre centre a.s.a.p. otherwise you'll be running around with no spare wheel. Apologies but I can't see your logic.  

I regularly(ish) do journeys that start at ~4am and are ~550 miles in total.  If I have a puncture at the start of that journey (think A9 in winter) and I can’t sort it out quickly (DIY, not waiting hours for a breakdown chap) it means adding an overnight stop to that trip.  If I have an identical spare I can just press on regardless, plus no 50km/50mph limits of a skinny wheel.

I know the chances of needing the spare are low but it’s the old risk vs consequences, low risk but PITA consequences.  Most of the tyre swaps I’ve had to do have been on my drive when I find I’ve got a near flat tyre so it can go in the boot to get sorted next time I’m passing a tyre place.  Plus the tyre that has been put on stays on and the repaired tyre becomes the spare.   Also if I have to use the spare when on the road I’m not at all worried re driving around on the spare with the dead tyre in the boot to sort out at my leisure, chances of needing another spare that week should be about zero.  I wouldn’t bother with full sized spare if I just pootled around locally but driving from one end(ish) of the country to t’other my perceived needs are somewhat different from most peeps.  To the point of having an identical spare for both summer and proper winter tyres.  You can never be too paranoid!  LOL.

Edited by DSL

34 minutes ago, roottoot said:

Many do have a match spare, plenty here buy 4 All Weather / Winter tyres and have said they do over the years.

Some like me might just carry a pair of matching tyres on wheels when on a trip because they are directional tyres.

I might even just put the Winters in the car as spares and they can go on if the roads turn bad as they can over just short distances or a few days.

Self Seal tyres can be a PITA as far as fixing for some.  If they do not self seal.

Also far from home and having to buy an odd tyre can be an expense people might not want to do.

One of the reasons I went for the specific Conti winter tyres I have is that they not directional so the spare can happily go on either side.  It significantly narrowed down the tyre types available but more than happy with the choice and they have performed brilliantly in 2 Highland winters, one of which was proper wintery.  👍

F852C2E5-57F8-4378-BBA2-9BDF41D8237E.thumb.jpeg.0b714e2dcdf513f92751188ea5967cce.jpeg

2 hours ago, roottoot said:

Many do have a match spare, plenty here buy 5 All Weather / Winter tyres and have said they do over the years.

I have 5 identical all-season tyres, including my identical spare wheel. I chose Vredestein Quatrac Pro tyres, partly because they are not directional. So if I get a puncture, I can put my spare on any corner of the car, and carry on for as long as I want.

If I only did local driving, I would be quite happy with a space saver or tyre gunk. But I drive down to the centre of France once of twice per year, so don’t want to be limited to driving 50mph max for 50 miles max. The Vredestein Quatrac Pro tyres also work well for France, where they recently introduced a new law which requires you to have winter tyres in many areas (not just the Alps), or snow chains / socks, from 1st November to 31st March. The Vredestein Quatrac Pro tyres have the 3 Peaks Mountain Snow Flake logo on them.

• Like 2

If you were ordering a new Karoq, there are two spare wheel sizes that can be specified as an option. The first is a "Steel space-saving spare wheel 125/70 R18", the second is a "Temporary steel space saver wheel 215/60 R16". The only restriction is that the wider tyre cannot be ordered with the 4x4, varioflex seats makes no difference. I ordered an SE L (with varioflex seats) with the 215/60 R16 spare wheel, which fits under the boot floor perfectly. The wheels on the car have Michelin Primacy 3 215/50 R18 tyres fitted and the spare is a Giti Premium PX1 215/60 R16. A difference of 8mm in diameter.

• Like 1