Leon vs Octavia comparison

alessio92

Hi, 

Has anyone owned both a Leon estate (2012 or newer) and an Octavia (Mk2 or Mk3)? 
Are they the same platform?

I need a new car and Octavias were my first choice but their brilliance means second hand prices are high. I’ve seen a couple of attainable Leon estates and I’m genuinely interested as I’ve always wanted a Seat.

I’m really interested to know how they compare in terms of owning and running costs (given Seat are the ‘sportier’ brand but there are mostly shared parts & engines I believe) and in particular what the space in the rear seats and boot is like - I need a large boot and rear seats comfortable for adults. 

Would really value any advice you can offer! 

Thanks!

36 minutes ago, roottoot said:

Different suspensions /rear with different trims / engines, wheel sizes / brakes etc so Sportier' will depend on engine and suspension more than if a Leon or Octavia. 

Cheers. To be honest I don’t want sporty… I’ve got an A4 S-line at the moment and the ride is really poor so wanna improve on  that!

Not owned both, but test drove both last year (2018 vintage).  The Octavia won hands down with both Mrs B and me, the Leon felt much smaller and had a harsher ride.  Finished up with an Octavia hatch - huge enough boot for our needs, because I couldn’t find an estate with the spec and colour we wanted.

• Like 1

i had a Cordoba waaay back, a 2003 1.2, from 2007 to 2012, before i got my first octy - 2004 mk1 1.9.

ive looked at seats since as well, but, imo, skodas feel more solid built. the trim plastics and fabrics feel thicker and more durable, less likely to rattle and squeak over time.

this may not be the case, but thats my feelings when i compare them on build quality.

• Like 1

I own a petrol MkIII Octavia and have previously owned a Diesel Ibiza and a petrol MkIV and diesel MkVI Golf. So I don't have a direct comparison but have a fair amount of VAG experience (just need and Audi for the full set!).

My experience (for what it's worth), the Seats are more problematic than Skodas or VW. The Ibiza was good value, in that it was cheap to buy and (VERY) economical but it was in the garage more than was ideal, couple of EGR / DPF issues (you could say this was a diesel issue not a Seat issue) and some electrical faults. I've also been looking at a Leon to replace the Octavia and the main differences I see are a slightly sportier exterior, specifically a nicer choice of alloys (what are those monstrosities on the MkIV Octavia SE :sick:) but a slightly cheaper feeling interior. The Leon will be about a grand cheaper for a 12-18 month old model.

The Octavia has been the best of the bunch, followed by the MkIV Golf, the MkVI Golf was lovely but hideously expensive to buy, Ibiza last.

HTH

14 hours ago, GWoodhouse said:

My experience (for what it's worth), the Seats are more problematic than Skodas or VW.

Owned 2014 Leon, 2018 Ateca and my wife still owns 2013 Ibiza. None of those were problematic, except for some minor things (some noise from the trim for example). Also interior quality was on par with Skoda. Door cards were certainly better, than in my current MK4 Octavia. Our Ibiza is now 115k km and so far we had to replace timing chain (1.2 TSI EA111 - problem in all cars with this engine) and rear dumpers. Otherwise normal things like oil and brakes. Nothing more, so i would not say it is overly problematic car...

Don't have experience with MK3 Octavia, but from my experience with Seats (compared to MK4 Octavia), they have stiffer suspension (especially FR) and much worse tire/rolling noise. Tire noise in Leon was really annoying. MK3 Leon was really nice car, except for this tire noise and stiff suspension, but for some reason MK4 Leon has awful driving position (on top of being loud and stiff). I couldn't find a good one, and it caused my back to hurt. No such problem in Octavia.

If one is looking for comfort, i would say Octavia is a better choice. Leon is better for the ones looking for something more "sporty".

• 1 month later...

We have a 2012 1.4 TSI DSG Octavia and I recently drove a family members Leon with the same 1.4 TSI also from 2012.

I've also been a passenger in this car several times. I have to say that the interior quality of the Octavia feels so much better. The dashboard in the Leon feels a bit cheap and plastic compared to the Octavia.

I also prefer the ride comfort and handling of the Octavia. I seem to think the Leon got a solid rear axle beam as standard and just the sportier models got independent rear suspension. The Octavia of this time period got it as standard.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Phil-E said:

I seem to think the Leon got a solid rear axle beam as standard and just the sportier models got independent rear suspension. The Octavia of this time period got it as standard.

The Octavia 3 from 2013 -2020 switched to the same solid axle on lower powered models and IRS only on more powerful ones, I think the tipping point was 150PS.

That's a shame. I assume a cost cutting measure. All models of the MK2 got indenpendent suspension as standard and it really makes a difference to the feel of the car in my opnion.