Under Car Heat Shield Rattle

Othen

The hear shields under the back of my 2013 diesel Superb Elegance estate started rattling 2 weeks ago. I had a look underneath and found that one of these fasteners was completely rusted through:

7CACC9FF-C36E-4EFA-A8FB-4AA18A105B8F.thumb.jpeg.dff29eeb487164bbbae9055111a187b8.jpeg

…and a second was on its way. I’ve replaced the two rusty star washers with new ones today and it is quieter, but I still get the odd rattle. I’m wondering whether there should be some barrier or sound deadening material between the two heat shields where they overlap - which has perhaps fallen out?

Does anyone know?

Alan

I can't answer that specifically but it may also be worth checking neither of the rear springs has broken.

I found some of my star washers missing or corroded after pulling off the drive and hearing a metallic ping bang, replaced them and still had some strange metal knocking which turned out to be a broken spring.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, a666andy said:

I can't answer that specifically but it may also be worth checking neither of the rear springs has broken.

I found some of my star washers missing or corroded after pulling off the drive and hearing a metallic ping bang, replaced them and still had some strange metal knocking which turned out to be a broken spring.

Many thanks.

I changed the rear springs in July for the MoT - so it is perhaps unlikely they have failed already, but I'll check tomorrow anyway.

Alan 

My sons was rattling on his Seat Ibiza.

Its held on the same and was rotten loose like that.

What I done was cut four squares out of an old thinish door mat ( felt/wire type and quite stiff) and just poked a knife through middle.

put one piece either side of heat shield and refitted the spring washers.

Worked a treat 👍

• Love it! 1

8 hours ago, Snapper1725 said:

My sons was rattling on his Seat Ibiza.

Its held on the same and was rotten loose like that.

What I done was cut four squares out of an old thinish door mat ( felt/wire type and quite stiff) and just poked a knife through middle.

put one piece either side of heat shield and refitted the spring washers.

Worked a treat 👍

Many thanks.

Alan 

I had another look at the heat shield today - the rear end rattle had persisted. The aluminium sheet around the middle of the three fasteners had worn away a bit so I made up a large aluminium washer (about 2”) like this:

933BB75F-028E-4E07-A20B-A43EBE20CBF5.thumb.jpeg.4e3386b0eed807167c762e314966218b.jpeg 

… which I thought a neat solution, but still the rattle persisted. I jacked up the car and checked the (nearly new) springs, which were fine, then accidentally came across the culprit: the cover for the NSR disc was not attached:

CDE15D1D-51AE-4CC0-A952-4CFC2F6E71A3.thumb.jpeg.986e77ac50af81e459c5939ae2b6272e.jpeg

the metal surrounding the three securing screws had all worn away, allowing the cover to flop around. I’ll start a new thread to work out how I’ll fix it 🙂

Alan

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/09/2022 at 13:09, Othen said:

I had another look at the heat shield today - the rear end rattle had persisted. The aluminium sheet around the middle of the three fasteners had worn away a bit so I made up a large aluminium washer (about 2”) like this:

933BB75F-028E-4E07-A20B-A43EBE20CBF5.thumb.jpeg.4e3386b0eed807167c762e314966218b.jpeg 

… which I thought a neat solution, but still the rattle persisted. I jacked up the car and checked the (nearly new) springs, which were fine, then accidentally came across the culprit: the cover for the NSR disc was not attached:

CDE15D1D-51AE-4CC0-A952-4CFC2F6E71A3.thumb.jpeg.986e77ac50af81e459c5939ae2b6272e.jpeg

the metal surrounding the three securing screws had all worn away, allowing the cover to flop around. I’ll start a new thread to work out how I’ll fix it 🙂

Alan

Penny washers

On 06/09/2022 at 13:09, Othen said:

Alan

The bottom of a beer can also works quite well. I couldn't get a genuine part, but Staropramen is Czech, so I thought that's probably as close to OEM as you'll find. 

• Haha 2

• 1 year later...