Do I Have A Dual Mass Flywheel ?

HI, just discovered this forum so Hi. I have a 2016 Octavia 1.6TDI (Euro 6), which I use as a Private Hire vehicle. I'm pretty sure my clutch needs replacing, so I've been getting some quotes locally. The problem I have is no one seems to know if my car has a dual mass or solid flywheel. also one garage suggested my car has an "internal" master cylinder which should be changed at the same time. I have work mates with 2014/15 diesel Octavias which have solid flywheels. Is there a way I can check to see what set up is on my vehicle? That way I know how to compare quotes for the work that's needed. Thanks..

I'd be surprised if it did have a solid flywheel, pretty sure the 1.6 Bluemotion Golf diesels had a duel mass flywheel and I am not aware of any of modern diesel that doesn't to try and take out the vibrations using a duel mass. 

It probably won't have an internal master cylinder but will have an internal slave cylinder which normally comes as a part of the 'clutch pack'. These are plastic and get brittle over time and can fail even if the clutch/flywheel isn't so bad. 

As above though, look at somewhere like Euro's or Skoda Parts Direct as it should be able to tell you.

6 hours ago, Crasher said:

The 228mm clutch has a solid flywheel, the odd thing is if it was four wheel drive or DSG, it would have a DMF.

52d98afd0c681a4e4237ec89c2491460b88ee210

Everyday is a school day! 

• 3 months later...
On 01/10/2022 at 19:47, jemthetaxi said:

HI, just discovered this forum so Hi. I have a 2016 Octavia 1.6TDI (Euro 6), which I use as a Private Hire vehicle. I'm pretty sure my clutch needs replacing, so I've been getting some quotes locally. The problem I have is no one seems to know if my car has a dual mass or solid flywheel. also one garage suggested my car has an "internal" master cylinder which should be changed at the same time. I have work mates with 2014/15 diesel Octavias which have solid flywheels. Is there a way I can check to see what set up is on my vehicle? That way I know how to compare quotes for the work that's needed. Thanks..

Hello, 

I would like to ask your experience with changing flywheel+clutch in your 1,6 TDI (E6) Octavia 3. 

I have exactly same car and I have been also searching answer to this question? Did you change it? Does car has single mass or dual mass flywheel? Could you please let me know how much this change cost you and if you are happy with your new clutch?

The CAYC engine only has a DMF when used in an Audi A3. VAG say that it is not possible to convert a SMF installation to DMF as they don’t have a software patch like they do for the Polo 3 cylinder TDI DMF to SMF conversion we did on Thursday. Physically it can be done just by fitting  a CAYC engined 5 speed box type 8P A3 kit so for example the LUK set 600 0199 00. As for the software you may be able to use an A3 ECU or find an ECU programer who has the file and is able to copy and paste the difference but software is out of my skill set, I leave that sort of this to much cleverer people than me like Mrs Crasher.

• 3 months later...

I have a 2014 Octavia Tour De France model. Noticed the 'rattle'....[My mech has a vrs himself btw] took it in and immediately said the dmf..which is a pig as its 4x4...meaning the whole lot needs to come out.

Im fastidious..which he said is a good in this case as if left would shatter the whole thing.

I live in the mountains of Wales [as does he] he knows I keep it mainly in sport mode... which he said progresses the problem much quicker.

On 29/01/2023 at 14:50, Albert_Agarunov said:

Hello, 

I would like to ask your experience with changing flywheel+clutch in your 1,6 TDI (E6) Octavia 3. 

I have exactly same car and I have been also searching answer to this question? Did you change it? Does car has single mass or dual mass flywheel? Could you please let me know how much this change cost you and if you are happy with your new clutch?

Hi, I've not changed my clutch yet, still plodding on. I've learnt that all MK3 Octavias with 1.6 TDI have solid flywheels. I've been quoted between 650 and 900. The latter being Skoda main dealer. HTH

• 4 weeks later...
On 16/05/2023 at 09:54, jemthetaxi said:

Hi, I've not changed my clutch yet, still plodding on. I've learnt that all MK3 Octavias with 1.6 TDI have solid flywheels. I've been quoted between 650 and 900. The latter being Skoda main dealer. HTH

I got a noisy clutch on octavia 2015 , 1.6 tdi !  sounds like exactly the same car but the parts shop keep telling me its a dual mass?!     even when i search online any car part store they bring up dual mass?

very confusing,, i thought single mass were much cheaper also ,,  there again i think mine maybe the gear box thats noisy and not the clutch ,,   if i push the clutch in the noise goes away ,, 

its confusing me terribly! i only picked the car up last week second hand high mileage

Not had mine done yet, but my local independent VW garage said all 1.6 diesel we're solid flywheel. And the quote from main dealer was itemized, and no flywheel listed. HTH

5 minutes ago, alesypalsy said:

I got a noisy clutch on octavia 2015 , 1.6 tdi !  sounds like exactly the same car but the parts shop keep telling me its a dual mass?!     even when i search online any car part store they bring up dual mass?

very confusing,, i thought single mass were much cheaper also ,,  there again i think mine maybe the gear box thats noisy and not the clutch ,,   if i push the clutch in the noise goes away ,, 

its confusing me terribly! i only picked the car up last week second hand high mileage

Hello, 
I follow this topic for a some time and when you made comment I got a notification.

I want to say something, but firstly know that I am by no means an expert. I just searched this approximately 5-6 month ago.

I cannot point out where, but I read that 5-speed manual gearboxes have single mass flywheel and 6-speed manuals has dual mass flywheel. 

So this can help you maybe but I recommend searching it more.

Edited by Albert_Agarunov
  • Thanks 1

Ok I have just spoken directly to mr Skoda main dealer, and he has confirmed my car is also a single mass fly wheel , and that the noise i explained to him could be a throw out bearing rather then the gear box,, would anyone have any idea?

this would be much better news if hes correct

many thanks !

I have begun to remove my gearbox,  I have not done this before,  after 2 hours in i am almost at the point of gearbox itself, but i am currently stuck on the drivers side drive shaft,, I used a T40 on the passenger side but drivers side is difficult to get straight onto it so i need the proper socket m6 or m8 i believe, i hope i have not rounded off any of the drive shaft bolts !!!    

Anyway I would be very interested if anyone has ever heard a 5 speed manual gearbox going on one of these as i not come across it,,  2015 model with 170k miles,  nothing for one of these engines 

2014 Le Tour De France Octavia [4x4].....Just had mine replaced..Duo....Thing was falling apart. Its the 2l engine [150hp] Not sure but think it's engine size

Dealer quoted 480 plus fat, mechanic friend got for 140 plus vat from the same manufacturer. Mind you, same dealer quoted 800 for a replacement key. 

Hi All. I could really do with some advice please ,,

Are the 5 speed gear boxes known for issues?   I have now removed mine and i am not sure and i dont think a gearbox expert would be sure without dismantling it,   if it is faulty or not!      

I would have thought any problems would have been ironed out with the newer boxes,     

the clutch still has a bit of life in it.,  i will have to change it while its off the car , otherwise no sense really , 

I am looking at putting another gearbox on as i dont know if the noise was the gearbox or clutch,, i dont want to have to repeat this process so maybe just be sure and get the other gearbox 😞

Can anyone tell me if this video the arm thing is correct? When the noise I had was just like that arm thing rattling about , I did a kind of test on the gearbox but it did not make any unusual noise 

please can any one who knows about this things advise ! 

My video of the drill taped to the shaft was to large to upload 

Well I have learnt a lot over the past few days , you never stop !

new clutch fitted ,   Gear box was not gone as a novice like me thought !!

not so easy to get the box off or on at first but I am sure if I need to do again it will be much easier , even after watching Wilson clutch guy on utube land gearboxes on his chest like footballs ,  

so car is back on the road after a day of hard slog , it was actually a utube video last night that saved me from buying another gearbox , and my clutch was like a bag of spanner’s 

anyway I am happy and I hope some one else will be able to have some light from these posts , 

peace out until next time 👍

On 07/06/2023 at 16:36, jemthetaxi said:

Not had mine done yet, but my local independent VW garage said all 1.6 diesel we're solid flywheel. And the quote from main dealer was itemized, and no flywheel listed. HTH

I dont know what is corrorect or not, i have a mk6 1.6 tdi in my garden 2012 with a failed dual mass 😞   so i dont know whats what,,,,   the oddest thing is that all the car places matched my car and clutch number i gave them to a dual mass fly wheel..... they were certain mine had been converted but it was not!  skoda main dealer told me it was single,,,,,,,,,  so they want to sell dual mass for £590 still!! 

my cluch kit cost £138 , 3 peice included small geese, blue print brand,       same kit on ebay £118     but i needed today!  

it is indeed, i didnt make it clear sorry,, i have a mk6 gold 2012 tdi 1.6, with a dual mass failure ... well thats what it says on the receipt from the garage that was supposed to have fixed it ,, they prob just scammed the previous owner as the engine (bottom end) has gone , and according to them it was an injector :)