Upgrading brakes with same disc size?

Soon I will have to replace front brake discs so I was wondering to upgrade brakes with Brembo drilled discs.Did somebody did this and is the improvement noticable?

I'm not interested in big brake kits.

Road only, no track, originals are from TRW but on hard braking I would like some more performance.

According info I can find on internet, slotted discs are for track and drilled for road.

Yes, 1.8tsi has 312mm in front.

Does your ABS not kick in anyway under hard braking and still you might have your tyres sliding along the road?

Whatever discs you go for, fit better brake hoses, better brake pads & very obviously better tyres if not already fitted.

So better driving considering that you have a bit of a fat lump and not that much engine braking with a DQ200 DSG but you can knock off speed with manual shifts and foot off the accelerator.

That is maybe teaching granny to suck eggs, sorry for that.

• Like 1

For tyres I always choose UHP and now I drive on Potenza Sport so ABS doesn't kick in easy😉

So I don't drive track but not like a granny😁

Last time in garage they installed ATE brake pads, not really impressed.

Thanks for tip for brake hoses, that I didn't consider, does it make a difference?

After searching info on internet these are my findings:

Drilled- better cooling, less weight, better gas and water expelling but more noisy, easier to crack,more wear, price higher

Slotted- less noise, better cold grip, less wear and dust, no danger of crack, price lower but less cooling and gas expelling

So for road use it looks that slotted are better choice, I want grippy, silent, reduced dust brakes.

Please be free to comment

36 minutes ago, FrankLK said:

I want grippy, silent, reduced dust brakes.

Then you want to stick with standard discs then, all of the others will have some degree of increased dust and possibly noise, none of them have a greater coefficient of friction than a plain standard disc.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FrankLK said:

After searching info on internet these are my findings:

Drilled- better cooling, less weight, better gas and water expelling but more noisy, easier to crack,more wear, price higher

Slotted- less noise, better cold grip, less wear and dust, no danger of crack, price lower but less cooling and gas expelling

So for road use it looks that slotted are better choice, I want grippy, silent, reduced dust brakes.

Please be free to comment

What you are looking for does not exist - you simply can't find brakes that are 'grippy, silent, with reduced dust'. You can't change the laws of physics - better  braking performance comes at the cost of more noise and dust, just how much is down to what you want. For road use, the most performance will come from a good quality plain disc - slots and holes will only be cosmetic unless you are driving really hard on a track.

All the performance will come from your pad choice, not the disc. I have ceramic pads which are a lot more expensive, quiet and dust free but would not be very good on the track. Save your money on the discs and get the best pads you can afford. As also mentioned, make sure the rest of the braking system is tip top, ie top quality fresh fluid, hoses in good condition etc.

• Like 1

Yes you are right, disc is less important.

I found only at EBC big variety of pads depending on the use.

And yellowstuff looks like stuff for me, 30% more friction with low dust.

Be aware some performance pads are pretty crap for everyday road use just getting about in town. 

Consider that you drive in the wet and cold sometimes or lots of the time. 

You want brakes that you can start a journey when cold and if a child runs out 100 meters after you are down the road you can stop as quick as possible. 

Nobody cares how good your brakes feel to you when driving in a spirited manner with heated tyres and brakes as long as you are not killing or maiming them when you fail to make a corner or stop.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/425257-another-reason-to-avoid-ebc-pads

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/483106-anyone-has-recent-experience-of-ebc-discpads

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/261036-green-red-or-yellow-stuff

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/491867-product-review-bluestuffyellowstuff-pads-gd-tested-on-skoda-octavia-vrs

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/301968-feredo-ds250s-performance-pads-my-arse

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, roottoot said:

Nobody cares how good your brakes feel to you when driving in a spirited manner with heated tyres and brakes as long as you are not killing or maiming them when you fail to make a corner or stop.

Hear hear!

The more I read more EDC looks bad.I have some people driving on greenstuff and for them they are better than OEM.

My first choice was Brembo xtra line, I think I can't miss with that.

OEM TWR rear have issues with pad return, already serviced that but it looks like problem is coming back.

For sure I was more happy with TWR than ATE.

The standard TRW pads and discs are more than up to the job of daily driving so I would stick with the standard items.

I have used performance pads in the past and worse ones were on my Focus RS mk1. They sounded like a bus stopping with the squeel they made. Others performance pads do not work as good as standard when cold so you do not get that initial bite.

I purchased a full set of TRW 340mm discs/pads and 272mm disc/pads from autodoc for under £170 including delivery so I would look at them to see what they can do. Also change the brake fluid frequently.