Xtreme alloys

Hi all, new here. I'm picking up my first Octavia at the end of the month, a rallye green mk3 VRS 245. I'm really excited! 

I want to replace the alloys with the 19 inch xtreme but I can't decide between the anthracite or the black. Does anyone has any photos of these on their car they could share so I could compare? It would be really appreciated. 😊

IMG_20221006_131516.jpg

• Like 1

I don't do arty photos of the car anymore! I think there are nicer wheel designs than the Extreme but they do give the vRS a distinctive look.

If you're going for 19s bear in mind ride quality will be worse. 

Screenshot_2022-10-08-11-36-41-98_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg

Screenshot_2022-10-08-11-33-25-71_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg

I have the Geminis on mine. 

You might want to try the Gemini's before you go looking for 19s as frankly whilst I can live with the 18s.... it's not exactly a luxurious ride on them either so I can't imagine how awful it must be to drive about on the 19s.  They're also significantly more expensive to replace than the 18s.

It really isn't awful driving on 19s at all. I wasn't looking for 19" when I was shopping, just happened that the one that ticked all the right boxes had the pack which included them.

I went from a Mk2.5 on 18" wheels to my Mk3.5 on 19" wheels and I've certainly not noticed a harsher ride at all.

Tyres are obviously more expensive - especially if you're like me and will only buy/fir particular brands and models. But when you're getting 40k miles from tyres, that doesn't crop up that often.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Insearchofaskoda said:

it's not exactly a luxurious ride on them either so I can't imagine how awful it must be to drive about on the 19s

😅 I don't think any of the Mk3 Octavia trim levels between 2014-2018 could be accused of having a 'luxurious ride', given the standard wallowy suspension springs, dampers, bushes, ARBs, and generally lesser quality parts than its higher marque brethren (VW / Audi etc).

If you get the VRS, the spring rates and dampers are naturally stiffer - so you are natively 'compromising' (some might say 'improving') the ride quality / 'luxuriousness' in favour of improved handling over the standard car. But I agree, if you are more likely to notice the Noise / Vibration / Harshness (NVH) of larger diameter wheels or have a bit of a 'princess-and-the-pea' rear 😜, then upgrading to "19s alone may not be for everyone.

And as @Stoofarightly points out, considerations need to be made like the fact that tyres are typically more expensive (especially if you opt for 235s rather than the standard 225s. Which you should, if you like to keep your alloys further more protected from kerbs). 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Insearchofaskoda said:

Sorry guys it was not a slight on the 19s as I do agree that they car looks better on them.    I'm just of an age where I prefer the compromise the 18s offer from ride,  road noise and a cost perspective.

No need to apologise - you are 100% correct in all of those aspects! 😉

*Looks at last tyre bill as tears fall down his face...* 😅

Edited by Ads230
  • Like 1

For your particular car, black only. There is nothing grayish on this car, it's green and a lot of glossy black so you need black xtremes to match.

To prove that anthracite is wrong, I have a winter set with anthracite and aluminium 18" dual colour from FR, and while they look perfect separated, while on the car, I see should have been black... 😞 What I did with my kids last winter, all black dip and it's better. What a waste of money refurbishing those wheels in anthracite all way properly, as they look better dipped. 

Someone on here got their 18” Gemini wheels refurbed in black with diamond cut faces. I don’t think they ever posted a picture though, which was disappointing. Not quite on topic though, sorry. 

On 10/10/2022 at 13:18, Lauren3101 said:

Thanks all. They do look good in the black... not sure whether to go for a set of 18s instead, the 19s in black seem to be hard to find. 

The 19s in black are harder to find because they were pretty much only fitted to Prefacelift 230s, earlier 245 'Edition' cars and the 245 Challenge.

I have a VRS Challenge estate with adaptive suspension and the 19 inch wheels. I've burst 5 front tyres in 31000 miles. Just an FYI as they look good but they have a terrible ride.

On 10/10/2022 at 13:18, Lauren3101 said:

not sure whether to go for a set of 18s instead, the 19s in black seem to be hard to find. 

I don't think there is a 18" xtreme... Pretty sure Skoda only made it in 19" and 20". All the 18" versions I've seen are aftermarket so may not be the quality you expect.

1 hour ago, Bugginbob said:

I have a VRS Challenge estate with adaptive suspension and the 19 inch wheels. I've burst 5 front tyres in 31000 miles. Just an FYI as they look good but they have a terrible ride.

I've not had any issues with bursting tyres in the 25k I've covered, guess it depends how bad the roads are in each area...

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, langers2k said:

I don't think there is a 18" xtreme... Pretty sure Skoda only made it in 19" and 20". All the 18" versions I've seen are aftermarket so may not be the quality you expect.

I've not had any issues with bursting tyres in the 25k I've covered, guess it depends how bad the roads are in each area...

Fair point as the backroads where I live in Devon are shocking but i've never burst any before the Octy in the last ten years.

Very nice ride on PS4S on Xtremes in comfort DCC. Much better then P Zero, and incomparable better and stronger tire. We also have challenges on our roads, but quite manageable. 

Standard anthracite 19”.

I have never had an issue with them but I do go around anything that looks like a pothole so they don’t get wrecked.

The ride quality is fine. Just marginally more input from finer road surface harshness over a softer tyred 18” but no where near bad or off putting.

Avoid kerbs and placing face down if taken off the car as the front face stands proud of a 225 tyre.

B35A1195-DF63-4415-A4C2-4295B26E3D9B.jpeg

7F591B6B-4CA9-4C82-B8EE-AC2E2111816E.jpeg

On 10/10/2022 at 17:32, Ads230 said:

😅 I don't think any of the Mk3 Octavia trim levels between 2014-2018 could be accused of having a 'luxurious ride', given the standard wallowy suspension springs, dampers, bushes, ARBs, and generally lesser quality parts than its higher marque brethren (VW / Audi etc).

If you get the VRS, the spring rates and dampers are naturally stiffer - so you are natively 'compromising' (some might say 'improving') the ride quality / 'luxuriousness' in favour of improved handling over the standard car. But I agree, if you are more likely to notice the Noise / Vibration / Harshness (NVH) of larger diameter wheels or have a bit of a 'princess-and-the-pea' rear 😜, then upgrading to "19s alone may not be for everyone.

And as @Stoofarightly points out, considerations need to be made like the fact that tyres are typically more expensive (especially if you opt for 235s rather than the standard 225s. Which you should, if you like to keep your alloys further more protected from kerbs). 

235's were cheaper than 225's when I bought them as 235's are a more common size.

• Thanks 1