Infotainment screen - Touch has gone awry - replacement cost / advice?

Hey all,

My infotainment screen has gone the way of the ghost: As others have posted here before, it is the symptom where it doesn't respond to touch, or it 'touches itself' randomly.  Sets in during the colder months.

I now want to get this repaired prior to selling the car.  I'm after advice on this, and estimates.

My local Skoda dealer in the UK wants £250 for a 'software update' (which I doubt will solve the issue - but curious for opinions), or £900 (!) for a new screen.

Thoughts?

Thanks all!

10 hours ago, ords said:

Which unit do you have & software version?

The car is at the dealer so I can't easily get the software version right now (I will ask them shortly), but here's a picture of the unit to help with identification.

image.thumb.png.68daf71a81af741a9031ac2bdf135dfd.pngT

I dare say me or @pab567would have the firmware you could flash yourself (if buttons respond enough for touch)

It's possibly still a screen issue, needing to be swapped out.

If you do get the car back (as £250 to update that software is a joke) then you can get information needed by pressing and holding down Menu button for about 10 seconds.

15 minutes ago, pab567 said:

Looks like Bolero, either MIB1 (5.8") or MIB2 (6.5"). Send me VIN on PM and I will reply with SW update file download link and let you know model number of your both display and glove box units.

Thank you - PM sent !

2 hours ago, Mewcenary said:

Thanks for all this help.

Is there any coding to be aware of if replacing the display unit? (But keeping the same glove box unit?)

No coding is required for changing the display.

41 minutes ago, Mewcenary said:

Oh, and I thought of another one: Any particular recommendation on which removal keys are required for this unit?

something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B018GKO6OQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mewcenary said:

Oh, and I thought of another one: Any particular recommendation on which removal keys are required for this unit?

The standard VW/Audi/Skoda radio removal keys, you need a full set of 4, available from many places including Halfrauds.

• Like 1

Thanks for everyone for your input into this.

I sourced a replacement screen (Thanks to @pab567for confirming the part number) from a breakers on eBay, along with a set of removal keys.  5 minute job to pop off the dodgy screen and replace it with the new one.  Now the touch screen works as it should.  Total cost about £100, in comparison to the dealer wanting £950 (!) for the job.

• Like 3
  • Love it! 1

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

I have been having the same issue. It’s extremely annoying when it decides to call someone random on CarPlay!

Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction of how to fix this?

Thanks in advance 

9 minutes ago, bezzdog1 said:

Hi everyone,

I have been having the same issue. It’s extremely annoying when it decides to call someone random on CarPlay!

Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction of how to fix this?

Thanks in advance 

You need to identify what kit you have in your car.

Either by VIN decoding, or if lucky and there's not a lot of choice for your car, a picture can help.

On the unit, you can press Menu/Setup key and get some information there, you can also repeat this, but hold button down for 10 seconds to enter the engineering menu with Software Train information in among other values that can help.

48 minutes ago, varooom said:

You need to identify what kit you have in your car.

Either by VIN decoding, or if lucky and there's not a lot of choice for your car, a picture can help.

On the unit, you can press Menu/Setup key and get some information there, you can also repeat this, but hold button down for 10 seconds to enter the engineering menu with Software Train information in among other values that can help.

Does this help?

image.jpg

image.jpg

16 minutes ago, bezzdog1 said:

Does this help?

image.jpg

image.jpg

If my research is correct, you have Bolero

Which means your screen should be part number 6V0 919 604 that is now replaced by 6V0 919 604B

Ideally you should purchase the 4x release pins and check on the back for the above number

964571227_BoleroScreen.thumb.png.4696ada3596673a7f9d5ddad85e6032b.png

5 minutes ago, varooom said:

If my research is correct, you have Bolero

Which means your screen should be part number 6V0 919 604 that is now replaced by 6V0 919 604B

Ideally you should purchase the 4x release pins and check on the back for the above number

964571227_BoleroScreen.thumb.png.4696ada3596673a7f9d5ddad85e6032b.png

Thanks for this,

Are there any updates I could try before I buy the head unit as it doesn’t look a cheap fix!

Its a 67 plate Fabia 

4 minutes ago, bezzdog1 said:

Thanks for this,

Are there any updates I could try before I buy the head unit as it doesn’t look a cheap fix!

Its a 67 plate Fabia 

You can try a software download, but you need the screen to respond to touches.

Holding down your Menu/Setup key for 10 seconds will get you into the engineering menu where you can view Software Train.

That information I need will look like this MST2_EU_SK_ZR_P0453T