Inspection service

Sargan

Fair play after my post above .... had a call from Dealera reminding me of Inspection Service tomorrow - confirmed they know I have performed oil & filter change, and made me aware that Pollen filter is also due for changing - did I want it done.   Good of them to remind me (but had just ordered one for £11)

So credit to Dealer - they are on form this time.

4 hours ago, Sargan said:

Good point .... so all Kodiaq's have a pollen filter ? ..... is so where are they .... I should take a look at mine

One thing that came about last year 4 wheel drive was not working efficiently, and it was the oil change in the Haldex unit .... when I asked if it had been done, it hadn't ..... seems it's only an option and not mandatory on service.

I didn't know to ask !

Pollen filter lives behind glove box.

Same as our Polo that I did recently.

Drop glove box lid.

Remove filter cover.

Slide out filter cartridge.

Install in reverse order.

It is so easy. A U toob clip will clarify the process.

2 minutes max.

Edited by BoxerBoy

Can anyone recommend a good psychiatrist? I probably should be keeping my mouth shut and not get involved but can't help myself. Unless I'm misunderstanding, the situation then this all seems a little bonkers.

3 hours ago, Sargan said:

Good point .... so all Kodiaq's have a pollen filter ? ..... is so where are they .... I should take a look at mine

Every car I can think of that's been manufactured since Y2k and earlier ( especially this with aircon ) has a pollen filter. It's commonplace that every manufacturer I can think of recommends be changed at least every 2yr.  Why would you think the Kodiaq didn't have a pollen filter? I can't believe anyone with obviously some mechanical skill, would ask such a question.

3 hours ago, Sargan said:

My dealer said Haldex oil change was optional and had not been done on the service as I had not specifically asked for it  (why would I know this ?)

You would expect main dealer to advise you on what must & could be done.

You ask why would you know this?  I'm genuinely  gobsmacked to learn that someone who carries out their own oil and filter change,  who can reset the service interval reminder, and who changes their own discs and brakes can turn around and say they don't know anything about Haldex oil change. And didn't know anything about a pollen filter. Seems very strange.

On 13/11/2022 at 17:35, Sargan said:

Agree on service, and I have Skoda dealer perform the service.

I do the oil & filter.

I also changed discs & disk brakes so they were showing good at inspection time.

11 minutes ago, Sargan said:

Fair play after my post above .... had a call from Dealera reminding me of Inspection Service tomorrow - confirmed they know I have performed oil & filter change, and made me aware that Pollen filter is also due for changing - did I want it done.  Good of them to remind me (but had just ordered one for £11)

So credit to Dealer - they are on form this time.

But...  but...  You just said you have Skoda dealer perform the annual services?  If they're performing the annual services then why are you bothered about the pollen filter? Unless you specifically told them not to, ( which you couldn't have as you didn't know a pollen filter existed ) they'll have changed the pollen filter at every 2nd year/service. Why are you buying a pollen filter at the oil change service?

I'm soooooo confused. Help !!!!  :D

1 hour ago, kodiaqsportline said:

>

I can't believe anyone with obviously some mechanical skill, would ask such a question.

Why would you think the Kodiaq didn't have a pollen filter? I can't believe anyone with obviously some mechanical skill, would ask such a question.

I have had company cars for the past 30 years  ... and never needed to know how they work, drove them and simply booked the car in when it reached appropriate mileage or light came on.   I no longer have a company car - so recommencing doing some of my own work, I come to the forum to get help, that is why I asked the Q.

I'm genuinely  gobsmacked to learn that someone who carries out their own ..... can turn around and say they don't know anything about Haldex oil change. 

I had never heard of a Halkdex unit, I just drove cars,  .... didn't worry about what made them go.   

When the 4x4 played up Dealer advised about Haldex oil change - I did not know anything about that, sorry if that seems strange.  I am sure there are loads of parts of the car that I do not know about.

You just said you have Skoda dealer perform the annual services?  If they're performing the annual services then why are you bothered about the pollen filter?

Unless you specifically told them not to, ( which you couldn't have as you didn't know a pollen filter existed ) they'll have changed the pollen filter at every 2nd year/service. Why are you buying a pollen filter at the oil change service?

I'm soooooo confused. Help !!!!  :D 

The DEALER asked me today if I wanted the pollen air filter changed, in their words  "it is an optional item" at this age/mileage point/Inspection  for the car.   It is not an automatic dealer replacement.

I opted not to - and have ordered to fit myself after the details above.  Why is that so confusing ?

If my questions bother you, I am sorry for that, there is no such intent,  please feel free to ignore the thread and scroll on by. 

I'm genuinely glad of the help I have received from people on this forum, and as a result have been able to undertake those tasks that I choose to do (to save costs), while allowing the Dealer to still carry out services, and therefore maintain my warranty.

This is the first car out of my last 15 cars that I  have kept past the 2 year point, and am glad of items that allow me to keep the upkeep costs down.

Edited by Sargan

If you do the oil and filter and no the pollen filter then all that is being done by then as a 'service' is visual inspections and report.    Any servicing / maintenance is extra.   So changing the air filter or even checking it, which you could do.   If you want the Haldex oil changed / servicing will requirr cleaning, or the brake fluid changed you are paying extra to have that done.    ? How much are thet charging to look at your car without an oil and filter change and to reset the service indicator?

Edited by toot

2 hours ago, toot said:

If you do the oil and filter and no the pollen filter then all that is being done by then as a 'service' is visual inspections and report.    Any servicing / maintenance is extra.   So changing the air filter or even checking it, which you could do.   If you want the Haldex oil changed / servicing will requirr cleaning, or the brake fluid changed you are paying extra to have that done.    ? How much are thet charging to look at your car without an oil and filter change and to reset the service indicator?

Agree ... but its a required item to have the Inspection, and as some have commeneted the warranty requires it ..... and the car is in today to have it done.
They are charging £45      so I'm happy with that.   

Out with the old, in with the new.

£12.99

I’ll concede it took 2 minutes longer because the rack and pinion wheel on the RH glove box damper bracket fell out and had to be refitted.

E99D9A3F-84CA-4A76-AEC9-44BC144BF8F3.jpeg

488FF52C-A1A0-461E-AADA-258A70B2E5B1.jpeg

D39FD789-1B81-4E81-A2AF-A5360E90E5F7.jpeg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BoxerBoy said:

Out with the old, in with the new.

£12.99

I’ll concede it took 2 minutes longer because the rack and pinion wheel on the RH glove box damper bracket fell out and had to be refitted.

E99D9A3F-84CA-4A76-AEC9-44BC144BF8F3.jpeg

488FF52C-A1A0-461E-AADA-258A70B2E5B1.jpeg

D39FD789-1B81-4E81-A2AF-A5360E90E5F7.jpeg

You did well at only 2 minutes Boxer - my damper took me almost 20 minutes just to get it back together. Grrrrr!

To conclude .... Inspection done, car collected.

No issue with me informing them I did not need oil or filter change.

They have advised that cambelt & water pump will be due to be changed in 5 months time ......

Have to think about that one - their charge was over £600 to do this.

On 16/11/2022 at 12:20, Yogi-Bear said:

I so would have bought a Kodiaq if they had existed back then 😂, would have been perfect for babies and pushchairs and everything else you need to take with you. Now the boot is just full of dog stuff instead.

</pointless>

I did of course mean to type 2017, not 2007. I'll correct my post.

On 17/11/2022 at 16:02, Sargan said:

One thing that came about last year 4 wheel drive was not working efficiently, and it was the oil change in the Haldex unit .... when I asked if it had been done, it hadn't ..... seems it's only an option and not mandatory on service.

I didn't know to ask !

Unfortunately (or worryingly depending on how you look at it) the Haldex service is definitely not optional.

Dealers are quick to point out gaps in the vehicles service history when it suits them i.e. signing up to their 'All-in' warranty etc.

Even then Skoda UK's official workshop procedure for the Haldex service misses out on an important procedure, to clean the gauze filter. It doesn't matter how fresh the oil they replace is, if it can't pass through the filter the pump will be starved of lubrication. A classic sign of a failed pump is non-functioning 4WD i.e. any front wheel spin. Usually by this point the pump is already dead.

My dealer offered to clean the gauze filter for a small extra charge when requested. Mine was already pretty sludged up at three years old.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I only found out there is an option of a Haldex service when 4 wheel drive didn't work.

The car had every service by the dealer (3 yr old at that point) they never mentioned Haldex service until I reported the 4WD problem. 

As a driver I expect Dealer to advise me of items that need to be done.

A drug dealer or even a car dealer might know about servicing and 4x4's.

A member of the Service Reception / desk staff might not as they might know nothing about cars, mechanical engineering or many other things.

Knowledge of cars / vehicles is not a requirement and the job is one with On Job Training from someone else that does not know.

Do not expect the Manager of the Service Desk to know either. 

Please note - I am not a mechanic or expert in anything.

22 minutes ago, toot said:

Knowledge of cars / vehicles is not a requirement and the job is one with On Job Training from someone else that does not know.

They don't need to know but they do need to be trained and equipped with the information to easily look it up and pass on, this of course requires the Dealership and Skoda/VW UK and Skoda/VW to provide the information, easy look-up and training - but of course as many (most? all?) Dealerships in England (UK?) are well below this level and Skoda/VW UK and Skoda/VW don't seem to always be a lot better or perhaps even worse.

Edited by nta16
ETA: Please note - I am not a mechanic or expert in anything.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, toot said:

A drug dealer or even a car dealer might know about servicing and 4x4's.

A member of the Service Reception / desk staff might not as they might know nothing about cars, mechanical engineering or many other things.

You do expect the main dealer for a manufacturer to know what is required .... but what you expect & reality don't match.

That is where the error starts.  We should all get that.

There are the Owners / Directors, their Dealer Principal, the manager, maybe one and the same.

Sales manager,  their staff, finance director, HR / Wages etc etc.

Service Manager, their staff.

Workshop, workshop manager, master tech, techs / fitters and then what goes with that.

Maybe VW / Skoda UK's top people are the issue in not expecting more from their Franchised / Authorised dealerships and training.

They just keep moving them around to front the business.

So many Skoda UK CEO's and Brand Directors since 2012.  Not a good thing.    They just wipe memories and move on. Always onward and upwards, or they are offski.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/508591-skoda-skala-warranty-and-poor-customer-services

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/508567-suggestions-on-where-to-purchase-a-spare-car-key

7 minutes ago, westie38 said:

Out of curiosity, is the Haldex gauze filter a replaceable part ie clipped in, or does it form a fixed part of the Haldex unit? 

The mesh filter can be removed, but normally just requires cleaning without removing from pump.

20025CF5-ED0D-4F48-88A4-34685B9CF4DA.jpeg

9 hours ago, toot said:

922218293_Screenshot2022-09-2115_58_57.jpg.3711dc86397a804fc83f268add4ae736.jpg

For me, this image is key - if you book your car in for a service, then you're only going to get the stuff done in the service bit.

The maintenance bits are always going to be extra and not included in any service - but I totally agree that dealers should be telling customers what maintenance is required on their cars.

• Like 1