Yeti to Karoq - Educate Me!

RallySimon

I've driven 3 different Yeti's over the last 12 years, the first 2 were 170 TDI 4x4 Elegances and the last one for the last 5 Years was a Yeti Outdoor 2.0 TDI (150) 4x4 SE L Drive.

However, in just over a week I should be picking up a 2022 (Registered in June) Karoq Sportline 2.0 TDI (150) 4x4 - ex-demonstrator with 7500 miles on it.

First thing to get used to is DSG, as all my previous cars were manual!

Its a shame the detailed manual is only available online, not something you can sit and thumb through like a proper paper one, and there seems to be a bewildering number of new features (including the digital dash) that I'll need to get to grips with, so come on people, educate me - tell me all about it.

In particular I'd like to hear about the safety features (automatic braking?), automatic headlight control, and how this keyless stuff works, and 'Skoda Connect' none of which I have any experience of!

It apparently has the 'Lights Pack' and 'Parking Pack' as fitted options - what does that do for me?

Couple of pics hopefully below.

Cheers,

Karoq-1.jpg

Karoq-4.jpg

• Like 1

Firstly, congrats on the purchase, its a nice looking car.

Having made this switch in 2019, except it was from a manual 1.2 petrol SEL to a DSG 1.5 petrol SEL....

The Karoq is a very accomplished car and incrementally better than the Yeti in just about every area. I imagine it will take you about an hour to fall in love with the DSG. A lot of the new features are things that just happen anyway and the rest are mostly self-explanatory.

The only thing I really miss is it just doesn't have the quirky looks and character of the Yeti, its much more of a bland euro-box. 

Ditto. I bought a 150 SEL Yeti dsg as my third Yeti in 2017. Almost one of the last built, and added a number of extras.

I had expected to keep it for many years, but whilst having its mot and brake fluid done at just over 3 years ( Covid mot extension) I was tempted by a 190 tdi dsg Karoq.

In retrospect it was like moving forward a generation in car design. The Karoq doesn’t have the same appeal as the Yeti design but is a much better and bigger car.

Despite the 19” wheels the ride is much better. The dsg in Karoq is much better with 7 gears, and the automatic handbrake so much better than the manual handbrake in Yeti. I no longer have to select neutral and apply handbrake when stationary to avoid keeping footbrake on.

I was suspicious of the auto headlight control at first but it does work well in practice. Only real complaint is that it won’t go auto mainbeam in a 30 but you can override, or even switch of completely in menu and have manual dip.

Lane control is another strange thing but I leave it on now as it will warn you by vibrating the steering wheel if you are straying out of s lane whilst not indicating at any speed over 40.

Auto braking is hit and miss. It has stopped me from reversing Into bushes etc. but didn’t stop me driving into a concrete plant tub the second day I had the car. I had parked near it but forgot it was there as hidden from view from drivers seat. Selected D instead of reverse and pushed it a couple of metres without auto braking coming on. Minor damage to spoiler which I never had fixed.

Keyless just works but I always remember to turn of by locking the car and then touching the door handle before leaving it. This prevents low life from recording the key signal as you walk away and opening the car. You have to physically open the car with the remote button. Since 2019 the key goes to sleep if not moved so leave in a cupboard when home so if you have not disabled the Kessy function it can’t be recorded from nearby and transmitted to an accomplice near the car.

Virtual dash is great. I have 4 different options of which I only really use 2. You can vary what is displayed via menu and view buttons easily.

Skoda connect was a waste of time to me and I did not renew at end of year due to cost and continuing issues with connectivity. 
The built in navigation works well in my 2020 car although without Skoda connect it does not get traffic updates etc. You can use your mobile instead. I don’t because I like the overview of the route displayed on the centre screen and a zoomed in view on the virtual dash when using navigation. You can’t do that with s phone satnav as only displays on centre screen. 

Edited by kenfowler3966

The Yeti rubber mats fit the Karoq. Just have to make one hole to fit over a carpet button on the drivers side. All the other carpets are OK. 

If your Karoq has the sliding boot hooks I would be tempted to "liberate" two from the Yeti to get extra in the Karoq.

tom 

• Like 1

I have no previous experience of the Yeti but any dealer worth his salt will or should give you a full handover before leaving the forecourt. This is the ideal time to ask the dealer about any bits of kit that are new to you. When I bought my 2018 Edition it was brand new and consequently the auto-braking system was defaulted to its most sensitive setting. This proved a major shock when the red light came on, the audible alarm went off and the brakes came on sharply whilst in the fast lane of a dual carriageway. Enjoy your new purchase

On 19/11/2022 at 21:24, RallySimon said:

First thing to get used to is DSG, as all my previous cars were manual!

Its a shame the detailed manual is only available online, not something you can sit and thumb through like a proper paper one, and there seems to be a bewildering number of new features (including the digital dash) that I'll need to get to grips with, so come on people, educate me - tell me all about it.

Hi Simon

You will very soon get to grips with the automatic DSG gearbox. Makes driving so much easier.

I found the 'How222' Skoda videos on Youtube very useful in learning how everything works on my Karoq. See https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCopOLWJbd_c4WhZxeEvpE0g/videos

For example::

One tip is that when the auto start - stop kicks in just wiggle the steering wheel to restart the engine.

This is better (and smoother) than restarting the engine by depressing the accelerator.

The car tends to want to ‘rush off’ when using the accelerator to restart.

• Like 1

With DSG it’s possible to control the start stop - press brake normally/hard to a stop and the engine will turn off, pressing more lightly to a stop keeps engine on.

Edited by Igdos

If stop / start is enabled and conditions are suitable to stop the engine the engine will stop.  If Autohold is enabled and you sit with a light brake pedal pressed you need not have Autohold activate.     Easy enough with stop / start enabled to not have the engine stop by whacking the AC / heater up as an example.   No point thinking all engine or DSG,s act the same because they do not.    Even the same car acts differently in different weather / ambient temp and requested inside temp or demand on the battery.  Lights, radio, heated mirrors, rear screen, heater / fan. 

Edited by toot
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the replies - not had much chance to drive it yet, but getting used to it slowly.

One thing I'm finding very annoying, is the Infotainment system doesn't remember what it was playing from my USB stick once its turned off. The Yeti would resume at the point I paused it or turned the car off. This just opens up at some random mp3 from some other album and I have to go all the way through telling it I want to select a Playlist, then pick the playlist and then find the track we had reached (if I can remember), every time I start the car - not an improvement in anyway!

I copied everything from my Yeti's SD card to a USB C stick, the structure (which worked on the Yeti) is all the m3u playlists in the root folder, and a folder called Music - in the Music folder is one folder for each Artist, and in each of those is one folder for each Album containing the mp3's. My playlists are one for each Artist, so it will play all their Albums in the right order, and all the tracks in the Albums in the right order, but although the playlists work fine when I've selected one, it doesn't remember it or where it had got to once powered off (it remembers if you switch to Nav or Radio) - it even seems to remember if you turn off the engine, and then turn the ignition back on a moment later once the Infotainment screen has gone off, but it forgets if you get out and lock it and come back later.

Any suggestions or am I stuck with it working like this?

If you search for threads about playing music files you should come accross one that mentions the way in which the files are numbered for each album.

I think that this is the key to getting the infotainment to remember the last track played.

On 01/12/2022 at 08:47, Sanqhar said:

I mainly do short journeys, 2-3 miles, the stop/start hardly ever activates.

The only time it happens is when I do the occasional longer journey.

tom

When I queried this with my dealer he confirmed what SWMBO had said regarding the stop/start in her Citigo - that the engine needs to have warmed up for stop/start to come into play. If you're doing mainly short journeys.........

1 hour ago, Toolie said:

If you search for threads about playing music files you should come accross one that mentions the way in which the files are numbered for each album.

I think that this is the key to getting the infotainment to remember the last track played.

Thanks, I've read most of the threads I could find on here about playing back music, but my mp3's are already named by track number - thats how Windows Media Player rips them - eg. 01 Track1Name.mp3, 02 Track2Name.mp3 etc, so not sure what else I can try.

On 20/11/2022 at 08:48, kenfowler3966 said:

and the automatic handbrake so much better than the manual handbrake in Yeti.

I've just seen this thread.  Having both a Yeti 150 TDI and a Karoq 190 TDI, I have to disagree.  Also, I'm reminded of this because snow is on the way.  

You can't handbrake turn the Karoq whereas the Yeti spins round very nicely on the handbrake; especially in the snow.   😁

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Schtum said:

I've just seen this thread.  Having both a Yeti 150 TDI and a Karoq 190 TDI, I have to disagree.  Also, I'm reminded of this because snow is on the way.  

You can't handbrake turn the Karoq whereas the Yeti spins round very nicely on the handbrake; especially in the snow.   😁

...aah "handbrake turns".  

Takes me back to my Ford Anglia days, 55 years ago.  I had converted the handbrake to a "flyoff" (modified so that the button was only used to lock the handbrake on. The rest of the time not using the button meant that you just pull to lock the wheels and letting go it releases.  When stopped, with the handbrake on, pulling it releases it.). 

Those were the days. 

tom

2 hours ago, Sanqhar said:

...aah "handbrake turns".  

Takes me back to my Ford Anglia days, 55 years ago.  I had converted the handbrake to a "flyoff" (modified so that the button was only used to lock the handbrake on. The rest of the time not using the button meant that you just pull to lock the wheels and letting go it releases.  When stopped, with the handbrake on, pulling it releases it.). 

Those were the days. 

tom

I had a '67 Anglia van back in the mid 70's.  I don't think the handbrake would hold on the flat, let alone lock up the rear wheels. 

The good thing about the Yeti is that pulling on the handbrake decouples the Haldex and I can therefore keep my right foot in it as I spin it round. 

Edited by Schtum

On 30/11/2022 at 18:57, toot said:

If stop / start is enabled and conditions are suitable to stop the engine the engine will stop.  If Autohold is enabled and you sit with a light brake pedal pressed you need not have Autohold activate.     Easy enough with stop / start enabled to not have the engine stop by whacking the AC / heater up as an example.   No point thinking all engine or DSG,s act the same because they do not.    Even the same car acts differently in different weather / ambient temp and requested inside temp or demand on the battery.  Lights, radio, heated mirrors, rear screen, heater / fan. 

My stop/start is very fussy, and even after a 50min drive the stop/start doesn't always feel inclined to kick in for some reason or another. Sometimes I can drive two 30-mile journeys (taking about 50 minutes each way) separated by a couple of hours, and only on the return leg is the stop/start inclined to do anything. When it does, it comes as a slightly unexpected intrusion, so once I know it's woken up, I tend to switch it off.

I initially assumed it was linked to battery condition and engine temp, but there really does seem to be quite a bit more to it than that.

I'd be interested to see a full list of all the conditions that are taken into consideration to enable/inhibit the stop/start function on my car.

The Owner Manuals tells you pretty much when it will or not operate.

Then there are all the threads on this and other forums.

A common reason might be the requested interior temp of the car being 16 Degree C higher than the Ambient temp.

The car / engine / oil / coolant can be cold from a cold start and not a lot of load on the battery and the cars heater not set high and the battery in a good state and the Stop / Start even work in a few yards after moving off and them stopping.

Not all cars will, but some do if you leave Stop / Start enabled.

11 minutes ago, EnterName said:

I'd be interested to see a full list of all the conditions that are taken into consideration to enable/inhibit the stop/start function on my car.

There are a few requirements for stop/start to operate not just battery voltage.

Conditions for the automatic engine shut down (stop phase):

› The gearshift lever is in Neutral.

› The clutch pedal is not depressed.

› The driver has fastened the seat belt.

› The driver's door is closed.

› The bonnet is closed.

› The vehicle is at a standstill.

› The engine is at operating temperature.

› The charge state of the vehicle battery is sufficient.

› The stationary vehicle is not on a steep slope or a steep downhill section.

› The engine speed is less than 1200 1/min.

› The temperature of the vehicle battery is not too low or too high.

› There is sufficient pressure in the braking system.

› The difference between the outdoor- and the set temperature in the interior is not too great.

› The vehicle speed since the last time the engine was switched off was greater than 3 km/h.

› The front wheels are not turned excessively (the steering angle is less than 3/4 of a steering wheel revolution).

• Thanks 1

@Kenny R I was then making such a list!

Here are some numbers to go with the above...

For Stopping:

The vehicle is stationary (speed = 0 km/h).

The engine speed is below 1200 rpm.

The coolant temperature is between 25 °C and 100 °C.

The brake pressure is greater than 55 kPa (550 mbar).

The energy consumption calculated before "engine off" and needed in order to restart
the engine can be supplied by the battery (start voltage prediction).
The battery temperature is greater than or equal to -1 °C and less than 55 °C.

The demand on the air conditioning by the occupants is not too high.
The difference between the specified and actual vent temperature is below 8 °C.

The diesel particle filter is not in the regeneration mode.

For Starting:

The diesel particle fi lter is not in the regeneration mode.

The engine hood is closed.

The driver's door is closed.

The clutch pedal is operated.

The gear lever is in neutral position.

For automatic Start due to change of conditions:

The vehicle starts to roll on a steep road so that braking and steering assistance is required.

If the vehicle exceeds the speed of 3 km/h, the START-STOP system starts the engine automatically.

The coolant temperature is no longer between 25 °C and 100 °C.

Insufficient pressure in the brake system.

The charge status of the battery is no longer sufficent.

Operating the Defrost button for the windscreen.

Increasing the fan speed inside the vehicle by more than four stages.

Increasing the heating or cooling requirement of the air conditioning system (the difference of the specified/actual vent temperature is greater than 12 °C).

Edited by varooom
  • Like 1

Well after a few days of owning the Karoq, I realised it was not the right car for me, and have now returned it to the Dealers and got my Yeti back!

Its a nice car, but too many small things added up to make it the wrong choice.

The biggest issue was the seats which were far too firm and uncomfortable. I also found the throttle pedal too high, my foot slipped off the bottom of it several times and re-positioning my foot further up it, quickly made my ankle ache.

I got used to the DSG box, but still didn't like it, much prefer manual gearbox.

The bigger size was also a problem - although I'd compared the sizes on paper many times it was just too tight a fit in the garage, very hard to get out of (don't have a driveway, and very little chance of on street parking, and everything I've ever had before has fitted in the garage without a problem).

The issue I'd mentioned above with the media forgetting where it had got to every time it was turned off was also an annoyance, and despite many people telling me the LED headlights were awesome, I thought they were just OK, and no better than the Xenon's on the Yeti.

The dark headlining also made it seem very gloomy inside even with the sunroof cover opened up, I'd never really appreciated the light headlining in the Yeti before now!

All in all after a few days driving it, I kept finding myself wishing I was still in the Yeti, and wasn't excited by it like you should be with a new car.

Full marks to Vindis in Cambridge for sorting out the return of the vehicle and being understanding.

Driving back home in the Yeti I instantly felt 'just right' again!

Why oh why did they stop making the Yeti - it felt like 5 years of progress was all about electronic gimicks and not the actual driving experience - its a car and I want to enjoy the driving experience, not have a load of electronics think they know best and keep naging me - it even told me to shut the window to save fuel - thankfully soon found how to turn the Eco tips off, but that sort of thing really isn't neccessary in a car at all, and if I want to be 'online' I've got a computer at home for that!

I'm sure there are plenty of people who like their Karoq's but sorry, not the car for me. Yeti is much nicer (and comfier) to drive.

Back in the same boat as many other Yeti owners with looking for something suitable to eventually replace it.

• Like 1

They never sold enough Yeti globally no matter how the numbers delivered was spun. People that bought one did buy another but plenty never bought a new one so that limits used ones.   Same with the Roomster.      There are enough going well for those that want one.     Eventually like Defenders there will be Refurbished and modernised ones for sale.    Costing much the same as when new.   Classics. 

43 minutes ago, RallySimon said:

The biggest issue was the seats which were far too firm and uncomfortable. 

I find exactly the opposite.  My SE L Drive Yeti has heated leather with the rare electrically adjustable driver's seat.  I find it to be too small and I'm by no means a big guy.  It's also too hard and therefore uncomfortable.

Our SE L Karoq also has heated leather and the seats are sumptuous in comparison with the hard perches in the Yeti.  

Ideally, I'd like to swap the Yeti's front seats for a pair from a Mk1 VW Tiguan which is on the same platform.  We've previously had three of those and the seats were all preferable to the Yeti's.  

Each to their own...