TSI Stage 1 remap and DSG torque

Hey all, 

So after being the proud owner of a 2011 MK2 FL TSI VRS for many years, the old girl is starting to show her age a bit and is becoming a touch pricey on the old repair bills, so I've decided to hunt around for a 2016-2017 MK3 TSI VRS to replace her with. 

Given that the power figures for the MK3 TSI VRS aren't too different to my current Octy, I'm considering biting the bullet and slapping a Revo Stage 1 remap on the new car once I get it.

However, my current car has the 6 speed wet clutch DSG box and I just feel like I can't go back to a manual. I've been doing a bit of research and I'm not finding much info on what DSG box is fitted to the 2016-17 MK3 VRS TSI, but have read in a couple of discussions on here that the DSG box for this perticular model may not be man enough to handle the uprated torque figures of the Revo Stage 1, is anyone able to shed some light on this? 

Am I better off just buying one with a manual transmission if I intend to remap it?

Cheers!

5 minutes ago, SeeJay said:

Hey all, 

So after being the proud owner of a 2011 MK2 FL TSI VRS for many years, the old girl is starting to show her age a bit and is becoming a touch pricey on the old repair bills, so I've decided to hunt around for a 2016-2017 MK3 TSI VRS to replace her with. 

Given that the power figures for the MK3 TSI VRS aren't too different to my current Octy, I'm considering biting the bullet and slapping a Revo Stage 1 remap on the new car once I get it.

However, my current car has the 6 speed wet clutch DSG box and I just feel like I can't go back to a manual. I've been doing a bit of research and I'm not finding much info on what DSG box is fitted to the 2016-17 MK3 VRS TSI, but have read in a couple of discussions on here that the DSG box for this perticular model may not be man enough to handle the uprated torque figures of the Revo Stage 1, is anyone able to shed some light on this? 

Am I better off just buying one with a manual transmission if I intend to remap it?

Cheers!

Tvs engineering are wizards with the dag boxes mate. I’ve got their stge2+ map on my superb 272 and it is soooo smooth and they map things in like life extender features. More torque handling and the shifting is silky smooth 

Ive been running APR 1.5 for years on the standard DSG map with no issues. There is nothing to worry about stage 1 and DSG as long as the gearbox is in good shape with all the oil changes completed on time. The DSG box handles the power better than the manual box where everyone replaces their clutch within 12 months of the remap.

5 hours ago, OldAndyMac said:

Ive been running APR 1.5 for years on the standard DSG map with no issues. There is nothing to worry about stage 1 and DSG as long as the gearbox is in good shape with all the oil changes completed on time. The DSG box handles the power better than the manual box where everyone replaces their clutch within 12 months of the remap.

Sounds great, so I'm assuming the mk3 vrs uses the same 6 speed wet box that my current octy uses?

Also what kind of BHP amd torque figures did you achieve from the revo map?

Cheers for your help guys

11 hours ago, SeeJay said:

Cheers!

There are a whole load of variants of DSG, if you get a vin decode of the vehicle, you can see what type of gearbox you've got.

The wet-clutch 6&7-speed boxes are great.

Have a search on Briskoda and you can read accounts of people who've had manual gearbox clutch issues after a remap.

That said, you can always put a beefier clutch in, so it doesn't have to be a deal-breaker.

1783868089_DSGvariants.thumb.PNG.48302673949986b8649200b546a55c4d.PNG

31 minutes ago, EnterName said:

There are a whole load of variants of DSG, if you get a vin decode of the vehicle, you can see what type of gearbox you've got.

The wet-clutch 6&7-speed boxes are great.

Have a search on Briskoda and you can read accounts of people who've had manual gearbox clutch issues after a remap.

That said, you can always put a beefier clutch in, so it doesn't have to be a deal-breaker.

1783868089_DSGvariants.thumb.PNG.48302673949986b8649200b546a55c4d.PNG

Just the chart I've been looking for, thanks! Seems from the year the box in the MK3 VRS will likely be the DQ380, but I'll check the VIN when looking at cars. I'm looking to go with a DSG box, don't think I can go back to a manual but thanks for the advice. So long as the DSG box is solid enough to take stage 1 then I'm happy. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SeeJay said:

Just the chart I've been looking for, thanks! Seems from the year the box in the MK3 VRS will likely be the DQ380, but I'll check the VIN when looking at cars. I'm looking to go with a DSG box, don't think I can go back to a manual but thanks for the advice. So long as the DSG box is solid enough to take stage 1 then I'm happy. 

I have the 2.0 TSI 190ps SE L and that has the DQ381. I've had it remapped to about 230ps so obviously have had no issues at all with the gearbox handling the power.

So long as the DSG is okay before the remap, you shouldn't have any issues with a stage one.

I had some tweaks done to my DSG programming as part of my remap, so it might be worth asking your tuner about whether that would be appropriate for your needs.

I did create a thread about my remapping, which is tailored for my car, but does have some useful links in it.

Good luck!

• Like 1

I think it's as straight forward as how many gears you have.

6 will be the 250

7 will be the 381 (maybe 380 but they are very similar I think)

There was a new member a couple of years ago that thought they had the 250 as they didn't ever get to 7th. Worth a high speed run to check. Within speed limits of course 😀

Edited by MarkyG82
  • Like 1