Lower back pain

ronniebarker

I have a 2018 Karoq Edition that I have owned since new but have been experiencing lower back pain whenever I drive it and have had this for a couple of years now. Being the Edition model, it rides on 19" rims and the ride is firm. Has anyone had similar issues and if so have have they changed for smaller wheels or considered after market seat cushions. I don't want to sell the car but equally don't want the pain. Any proven suggestions gratefully considered.

First can be a good sciatica cushion.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/442391-can-anyone-recommend-a-lumber-cushion

Then you can try a Car trimmer and see about having them reshape your seat. 

They may be able to with the cover it has on or do a good match.

Wheels / tyres is the other option, as is modding suspension, but if the seat does not suit that can be money wasted.  

Edited by toot
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, ronniebarker said:

I have a 2018 Karoq Edition that I have owned since new but have been experiencing lower back pain whenever I drive it and have had this for a couple of years now. Being the Edition model, it rides on 19" rims and the ride is firm. Has anyone had similar issues and if so have have they changed for smaller wheels or considered after market seat cushions. I don't want to sell the car but equally don't want the pain. Any proven suggestions gratefully considered.

You can see in the charts below, that the Karoq (Front Wheel Drive) has 225/40R19 tyres when the 19" option is specified.

For someone with a back problem, these are completely unsuitable.

Changing to 215/60R16 tyres fitted to 6Jx16 ET43 5/112 57.1 rims (this is a standard tyre and rim combination on the Karoq (front wheel drive) will make the ride a lot softer and more comfortable. Make sure you choose tyres with soft and flexible sidewalls to get the maximum improvement.

Skoda Karoq 2018 1.5TSI (Front Wheel Drive)

Generation: NU7 [2017 .. 2022] 
 Market: EUDM 
 Power: 148 hp | 110 kW | 150 PS 
 Engine: 1.5L, DADA, I4, Petrol
 Options: SE, SE L, Ambition, Executive, Style, SportLine, Premium
 Center Bore: 57.1 mm 
 PCD: 5x112 
 Wheel Fasteners: Lug bolts 
 Wheel Tightening Torque: 140 Nm
 Thread Size: M14 x 1.5 
 Trim Production: [2017 .. 2021]
Tire 
Rim 
Vehicle's recommended cold tire inflation pressure. It is measured in bars or PSI (pounds per square inch).

215/60R16 95V 6Jx16 ET43 2.2

215/55R17 94V 7Jx17 ET45 2.2

215/50R18 92V 7Jx18 ET45 2.4

225/40R19 93W 8Jx19 ET45 2.4

235/40R19 96W 8Jx19 ET45 2.4

Skoda Karoq 2018 1.5TSI (Four Wheel Drive)
 Generation: NU7 [2017 .. 2022] 
 Market: EUDM 
 Power: 148 hp | 110 kW | 150 PS 
 Engine: 1.5L, DADA, I4, Petrol
 Options: SE, SE L, Ambition, Executive, Style, Scout, SportLine
 Center Bore: 57.1 mm 
 PCD: 5x112 
 Wheel Fasteners: Lug bolts 
 Wheel Tightening Torque: 140 Nm
 Thread Size: M14 x 1.5 
 Trim Production: [2018 .. 2021]
Tire 
Rim 
Vehicle's recommended cold tire inflation pressure. It is measured in bars or PSI (pounds per square inch).

225/55R17 97V 7Jx17 ET45 2.4

225/60R16 98V 6Jx16 ET43 2.3

225/50R18 95V 7Jx18 ET45 2.4

225/45R19 92W 8Jx19 ET45 2.4

https://www.wheel-size.com/size/skoda/karoq/2018/#trim-15tsi-eudm-148

Edited by Carlston
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Agree with the comment above - you can change whatever you want but if you're still using the same seat...

Not sure about a 2018 Edition but our 2019 Edition has one of the better electric 4 way lumbar supports in that not only will it bolster in an out but you can also raise or lower the bolster.

Another common area that produces back pain is the level of under thigh support, but again, not only does the edition have quite a large square seat base, being electric you can adjust the angle of the base. ( my Octavia also had electric seats lumbar but the front of the seat base being curved rather than square, I did notice a slight difference in comfort. )

Another area which can cause discomfort is shoulder support, but again the seats in an Edition are quite wide and square so your shoulders should be well suported.

So in summary, if you have an electric seat on your Edition, then if re-adjusting it doesn't work, I'd be looking for physio / chiro advice before I'd be looking at changing my car.

Edited by kodiaqsportline
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How tall are you? I'm 6ft 4" and usually immediately put the seat fully back on any car. I had an initial issue with my Superb re back ache when I first owned it however I eventually I found it was because for the first time the front seat was able to go too far back. I found pulling forward a teeny touch and adjusting the steering wheel slightly away from me, which seemed counter intuitive to start with. Basically seat and steering wheel had toooo much adjustment.  I now find it perfect - to the point I'm nervous to change cars.

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 1

I feel a bit of a numpty as I was unaware that the electronic lumber support on the drivers seat was a four way adjust, I thought it only worked in/out not up and down as well. Consequently I have adjusted the lumber support and played with the various other seat settings. A bit early to say but initial indications are promising. Thanks for everyone's help

• Like 2

I find myself moving the lumber support around on long trips to relieve my back by supporting slightly more or less. You can even run it up and down to massage your back.

Also to relieve discomfort on a long trip, the Seat may need to be slightly uncomfortable feeling initially when you sit down.

I had a lot of back pain and was being treated by a chiropracter, there was no relief so he finally X-rayed my back,

my lower back was shot I had three discs worn to a wedge and ended up with an eight hour operation.

If you have back pain see your GP and ask for an x-ray, I spent years with back pain and doing nothing

just made it worse!

One thing I learned was not to drive with a Wallet in your back pocket, this can affect your sciatic nerve.

That physiomed guide is a good one and similar to one I've had for years.  It gives very good guidance on how to adjust your seat and support your back to avoid pain - far too many people sit too upright or laid back when driving.

For reference I have a herniated disc in my lower back as well as shot joints in knees and ankles but after doing some proper adjustment of seats and knowing what is needed I very rarely now have issues when driving (old Vauxhall and Honda seats were rubbish but most seats these days are good if properly adjusted - don't get me started on plane seats though - I think they are designed to be specifically uncomfortable).

1 hour ago, skomaz said:

(old Vauxhall and Honda seats were rubbish but most seats these days are good if properly adjusted - don't get me started on plane seats though - I think they are designed to be specifically uncomfortable).

I couldn't agree more. Even today, if I get a lift of someone with an older Vauxhall I sit in the rear. Had them as company cars and could never work out why I was having neck pain - for my posture there's insufficient shoulder support. But that's the thing about back pain - it only applies to me. We're all different,  there's no one rule suits everyone and that's where VAG come up trumps with their electric seats. I'm struggling to think of a mainstream manufacturer who offers more adjustment in their seats. 

I once tried a VW massage seat but found that really annoying. There's nothing massage about it, all it does is constantly move the 4 way adjustable lumbar in both planes. It might relieve back pain in the short term but I'd have thought it'd cause long term damage. Massage is supposed to be in the one direction. 

Watch lower back pain, especially when breathing in.  I had that just over a year and put it down to pulling something opening my garden gate.  It was only when I started coughing up blood that made me call the docs and long and short of it was I had a blood clot in my lung.  They couldn’t pin it on anything specific so I’m on blood thinners for life, not a problem.   Just don’t dismiss back pain as bad seating.  It might be, it might not.  👍

On 25/11/2022 at 09:17, gumdrop said:

One thing I learned was not to drive with a Wallet in your back pocket, this can affect your sciatic nerve.

Absolutely, mine isn’t even that fat!

Also the comments about the leading edge of the seat squab, I have mine tipped down as far as possible.

For anyone speccing a new car an electrically adjustable seat is a godsend for anyone with lower back pain

Many men carry their wallet in the back pocket, then blame the seat! The seat squab nose is another nasty area as it reduces bloodflow

to your legs and feet and may even affect the return flow to heart and brain. Just an aside, Target shooters used to put their wallet under

their shooting armpit to slow the pulse and help keep the weapon steady. Look at really expensive car seat front edges they are well designed.