How much ?

Lynn67

38 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

?? I thought all Furbies except the WRC cars were FWD, so don't have rear drive shafts.

It must be the front then. The mechanic said he wasn't happy with the thread on the drive shaft when he had it off to do the spring so he decided to replace it.

I don't really know much about the drive shafts apart from cv joints and bushes.

Edited by Lynn67

3 hours ago, maccy said:

I had a new OSF spring and top bearing fitted a couple of years ago and it cost £90,so I would guess add 25%.

Hopefully it not going to cost as much as I thought then.

13 minutes ago, toot said:

Parts, labour & VAT @ 20% unless not being charged might well be a bit more than £112.50.  

@Lynn67

Did the mechanic not give a guestimate on how much the job would cost from how much a job like that costs their customers.

They only knew what I told them had happened on the phone.

I was going along & had a loud bang & something came off the car & hit the road, then when I was going uneven/bumpy road I was getting a knocking noise which seemed to be at the back & sometimes seemed to go along the whole of the passenger side.

Because the garage is about 45 mins from where I live they only got a chance to look at the car late Tuesday afternoon.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

It only needs a new hub nut, not a complete driveshaft, It's two hours labour plus parts plus VAT.

Thanks for that sepulchrave, that's even better. 

Please note - I am not a mechanic or expert in anything.

That's seems very good value to me.

To save some necks.

lililil.thumb.jpg.c6995ac3f86ed14f9072348627fa64c8.jpg

Edited by nta16
ETA: Please note - I am not a mechanic or expert in anything.
  • Like 2

Good to see also the note at the bottom to check the tightness of the wheel bolts (nuts).  If you don't have a torque wrench to use or borrow then if that garage is nearby you could perhaps ask them to check and throw them a packet of biscuits or something, to keep them sweet. 😉

zszzzzzz.thumb.jpg.99e2237a4e817c854cf6a1256a0f8754.jpg

Edited by nta16
missing words
  • Like 2

They are pretty good at that garage.

It's worth the 45 minutes drive to go there.

They don't charge you for the use of the car you have, you just have put your own fuel in it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lynn67 said:

They don't charge you for the use of the car you have, you just have put your own fuel in it.

I've had that myself (garage elsewhere); they then waived the fuel cost on discovering that the nearest garage who had diesel fuel was 25 miles away rather than 300 yards away as usual.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nta16 said:

Good to see also the note at the bottom to check the tightness of the wheel bolts (nuts).  If a torque wrench to use or borrow then if that garage is nearby you could perhaps ask them to check and throw them a packet of biscuits or something, to keep them sweet. 😉

/cdn-cgi/mirage/1bda83c5b12758208ceebcb39ec9be9116d38b9548c64d8def82801e382e3c83/1280/https://www.briskoda.net/forums/uploads/monthly_2022_12/zszzzzzz.thumb.jpg.99e2237a4e817c854cf6a1256a0f8754.jpg

I know the blokes at Fakenham tyres just 20 minutes down the road would do that for me, they are a good bunch there.

They were the ones who welded a new flexi pipe onto my cat to save me money.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Lynn67 said:

They were the ones who welded a new flexi pipe onto my cat to save me money.

Should we call the RSPCA ...? 🤣

Apologies Lynn but I couldn't resist that one - Childish I know 😒

• Haha 3
  • Cheeky 1