oil in engine

hope some can point me in the right direction have 2016 diesel 1.6 with approx. 239000 miles which is serviced regularly. its a taxi  asn is inspected every 6 months i have drivers that use so it does some short journeys but lots of motorway trips

its been hard too start for the last few weeks when we had very cold weather has been using oil but i understand this is normal but when weather got a bit warmer it stated up ok when it starts it has a very rough idle almost to the point it will stall

1 night ago the driver was out in it going up a hill when message on dashboard said he thinks something about high pressure he stopped the car then had it towed to my house took it to my mechanic who's really busy when opened the bonnet there was oil all around the dipstick area and over the alternator they tried to clean the area by the dipstick will engine cleaner but when they sprayed it the engine stated revving on its own also when staring the car yesterday was a lot of smoke for the exhaust but after it warmer up it disappeared

Hello, welcome to the forum. You need to be particularly careful if using any volatile spray, particularly on a diesel, when it is running - doing that could cause an uncontrolled engine runaway!

As for the oil around the top of the engine, was the oil level checked - was it above the max. marking? If so, this could be a symptom of fuel getting into the engine sump. There could also be an issue with excess crankcase pressure from worn piston rings - especially at your mileage. 

Edited by Warrior193
correction
  • Like 2

thanks for replying sorry didn't quite explain myself properly the oil is mainly down by the alternator theirs some in the recess where the injectors sit oil was checked just above the minimum the mechanics were careful with the spray but they think it might have air leak by the front of the engine is there any other symptoms of worn pistons theirs no diesel in the oil also no white gunk on the filler cap as i said the car runs really well in going to plug VCDS into it over the weekend

• Like 1

Any induction air leak will almost certainly be part of your problem, it sounds as if there may also be an issue with oil leak. VCDS will hopefully flag what the warning message was that your driver saw. 

A cylinder compression check would be a good idea.

Edited by Warrior193
extra comment
  • Like 1

At that mileage you are opening a can of worms, it sound slike you have at the very leak and air leak and an oil leak. Glow plugs will be shot, injectors will be tired, EGR system will all be gunked up, turbo seals are probably a bit leaky if its original as well.

It needs a proper going over by a mechanic and maybe you might be abe to eek some more life out of the old girl

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for your help  my mechanic had a look 4 injectors leak test no more than 1 minute 35ml diesel caught so needs new injectors then had feel around breather pipe from rocker all slimed up so new rocker cover

been quoted £198 for injectors each  form united diesel and £188 rocker cover genuine do you need special tool to remove injectors as they look like the originals

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

it looks like 4 leaking injectors plus gummed up pcv  going to extract injectors tomorrow order 4 new ones from united diesels the get new rocker cover from autodoc they seem the cheapest rather than ebay ill keep you all posted maybe this information might help someone else

• Like 2

just started stripping car down had issue trying to find rocker cover used my vin in ekta and it came up with 2 listed 03L103469T And 03L103469S

Can anyone point me in the right direction it doesn't say superseded part 

13 minutes ago, yoddn said:

just started stripping car down had issue trying to find rocker cover used my vin in ekta and it came up with 2 listed 03L103469T And 03L103469S

Can anyone point me in the right direction it doesn't say superseded part 

03L 103 469 S is for EU5 emission PR Code 7MJ

EU5.thumb.png.37b5784b69fb4e78dd9ba14576387295.png

03L 103 469 T is for EU6 emission PR Code 7MM

EU6.thumb.png.a74d025518e85b8fc91ab786184732dc.png

This is the part that fits my MY2016 Skoda Ocatvia with 1.6TDI

13 minutes ago, yoddn said:

thanks varooom i take it mines euro 6 so i need 03L103469T Im not having a lot of luck tracking one down apart from main dealer

I suspect that is the case for your year, but PR codes are the only way to verify.  At least now you know the most likely part number you can scour the internet.

Good luck with that.

• Like 1

Unlikely to find after market cover if nothing comes up on the likes of autodoc. If you can get genuine at 188 that's probably as good as it gets.

Lllparts list vw audi at 215, Skoda at 266 both plus postage if applicable. Same part number. Guess you would end up with some incorrect badging or printing on cover for saving of £50! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

hi everybody finally got the car up and running no silly or strange noises plug in vag com read all the codes mostly where i hoping the battery was disconnected the only one that has thrown me is low oil pressure switch malfunction i understand there is 2 on my car engine code cxxb is so where is it located and is it a green one

• Like 1

On the petrols the oil pressure switch are on the oil filter housing. I'll have to try and check online for the 1.6 diesel unless someone with this car can comment.

Again, on petrol there are 2x there is a high and low pressure switch. 

Sorry forgot to say it’s a Diesel I think I’ve found after taking air box cowling and a bit of pipe work I’ll post numbers when I get it apart just in case anybody needs the part number

Green is low pressure 0.3-0.6 bar 04L 919 081

Brown is higher pressure 2.5-3.2 bar 04L 919 081 B

Another nice illustration of how the letter suffix isn't just a 'revision level'. Can be a functionally different part, and often is.

Edited by Breezy_Pete
  • Like 2

thanks Breezy_Pete i can only find 5the one pressure sensor that i can see is the other one well hidden the one ive found is the brown one