Karoq space saver 2022

HT100

Hi all.  Has anyone had a problem with it on the front axle’s 

last week had a puncture and put space  saver on , 500 m later all hell broke out car came to a halt ,  checked everything including tyres and pressure’s.   Got home just over a mile  later.   
Think the car doesn’t like it on the front as it has a smaller rolling radius?

Alan

Just how much smaller is the Space Saver with your car,  or is it a Full Size Spare which saves space?  Steel Wheel and narrower tyre,  or actually a Skinny?

What size tyres on the car, what size spare tyre?    Some do come with far too small.   Common on Superbs. 

Post by @Orsoncartin here.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/505970-karoq-space-saver

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/493502-full-sized-tyre-as-spare/page/2

Edited by toot

33 minutes ago, HT100 said:

Hi all.  Has anyone had a problem with it on the front axle’s 

last week had a puncture and put space  saver on , 500 m later all hell broke out car came to a halt ,  checked everything including tyres and pressure’s.   Got home just over a mile  later.   
Think the car doesn’t like it on the front as it has a smaller rolling radius?

Alan

Exactly what happened? Why did the car come to a halt?

On a 2wd car it's a good idea not to put a skinny wheel on the front, too much torque will be put through it.  Would you really want a skinny wheel on the front in an emergency braking situation?

Put the skinny spare on a rear wheel and use the 'good' wheel taken off to replace the front punctured one.

tom 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Sanqhar said:

On a 2wd car it's a good idea not to put a skinny wheel on the front, too much torque will be put through it.  Would you really want a skinny wheel on the front in an emergency braking situation?

Put the skinny spare on a rear wheel and use the 'good' wheel taken off to replace the front punctured one.

tom 

This is best practice, but not always practicable. You would need to jack the car three times instead of once, potentially increasing danger

1 hour ago, Routemaster1461 said:

This is best practice, but not always practicable. You would need to jack the car three times instead of once, potentially increasing danger

Twice, not 3 times.

One to take good tyre off back and put space saver on

Two to put good tyre on front and put flat tyre in boot

Or put it on front and go slowly, and if you remember (probably after traction control has cut power), switch off, switch on and if possible switch off traction control

Edited by SurreyJohn

@SurreyJohn

How do you turn off the ESP which has been mandatory in the EU since 2014?  (Skoda still had it as an option on Fabia Mk2 when other manufacturers had it as standard for years.

Some do disable the ESP in snowy countries or for on the track, bit that is not by pushing a button.

TC / ASR, XDS / XDS + are different from ESP. 

I've always placed the space saver on the rear ( non driving wheels ) but to the best of my knowledge there is nothing in the owners manual that recommends this.

I'm not familiar with 4x4 cars but OP say his car is AWD so could that possibly have something to do with it? Does placing a mini spare on the rear make a difference with 4wd?

OP - did you buy the car new? Is the spare supplied as a factory option or was it bought from a 3rd party? Was the wheel properly mounted?

Haven't a clue if this might be related or if it'd have made any difference but when you mounted the spare, did you reset the tyre pressures via the infotainment?   

4 hours ago, SurreyJohn said:

Twice, not 3 times.

One to take good tyre off back and put space saver on

Two to put good tyre on front and put flat tyre in boot

Or put it on front and go slowly, and if you remember (probably after traction control has cut power), switch off, switch on and if possible switch off traction control

Quite true. I was in a bit of a rush as I am on an online course. Of course it is three times if you wish to swap wheels front to back ad vice versa.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.  Sorry for not replying to you response,  the out come was as most said was due to the different rolling radi as the space saver is 18 as to the 19 fitted     Skoda did nothing !!  To my complaint that they should have a warning  not to use on front.

Too much electronics ?

thanks all for advice.

2 hours ago, HT100 said:

Hi all.  Sorry for not replying to you response,  the out come was as most said was due to the different rolling radi as the space saver is 18 as to the 19 fitted     Skoda did nothing !!  To my complaint that they should have a warning  not to use on front.

Too much electronics ?

thanks all for advice.

Karoq 4x4 uses a 225/45R19 tyre with its 19" rim. You were probably using a 125/70R18 space saver, which has a much smaller outside diameter...7.7% smaller in fact. A 135/80R18 space saver is much closer to the outside diameter of the standard tyre sizes that are used on the Karoq 4x4.

Outside diameter of tyres

225/45R19 685.1mm

125/70R18 632.2mm (-7.7%)

135/80R18 673.2mm (-1.7%)

The 135/80R18 space saver tyre would fit the same 3.5Jx18 ET25.5 5/112 57.1 steel rim that the 125/70R18 uses.

125/70R18 space saver tyres shown on camskill

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m129b0s5432p0/Temporary_Spare_Tyres_-_Space_Saver_Tyres_-_18_inch_R18_inch_-_125_70_18_125_70R18

135/80R18 space saver tyres shown on camskill

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m129b0s7672p0/Temporary_Spare_Tyres_-_Space_Saver_Tyres_-_18_inch_R18_inch_-_135_80_18_135_80R18_R18_inch_-_135_18_135R18

3.5Jx18 ET25.5 1K0601027AP

1 1K0601027AP Steel rim for
space-saving emergency wheel
3.5Jx18 ET25.5      
  1K0601027AP03C rally black        

3.5Jx18 ET25.5 5Q0601027BC

1 5Q0601027BC Steel rim for
space-saving emergency wheel
3.5Jx18 ET25.5      
  5Q0601027BC03C rally black        

The outside diameter of 125/70R18 is similar to Octavia MK1/MK2/MK3 sized tyres. However, Skoda have also been selling this size for cars that use bigger outside diameter tyres such as the Karoq and Superb MK3. For the Kodiaq, Skoda sell an even bigger outside diameter 145/85R18 space saver tyre. However, the outside diameter of the 145/85R18 is too big for the Karoq.

145/85R18 space saver tyre for the Kodiaq

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m129b0s9254p0/Temporary_Spare_Tyres_-_Space_Saver_Tyres_-_18_inch_R18_inch_-_145_85_18_145_85R18

Edited by Carlston

On 07/02/2023 at 09:42, toot said:

@SurreyJohn

How do you turn off the ESP which has been mandatory in the EU since 2014?  (Skoda still had it as an option on Fabia Mk2 when other manufacturers had it as standard for years.

Some do disable the ESP in snowy countries or for on the track, bit that is not by pushing a button.

TC / ASR, XDS / XDS + are different from ESP. 

Press and hold down the button marked OFF on the bottom left of the centre console.  That will turn off the Traction Control, ASC and the Front Assist Radar for some reason.

It's also what you do to prepare for using the Launch Control.  

I only ever disable it when I'm really pressing on.  It prevents the ASC from momentarily cutting reducing the power on bumpy corners which can be very annoying. 

• Like 1

Hello Carlston

I want to get a full diameter space saver for my Karoq, so very interested in your post.  The 135/80R18 space saver tyres shown on camskill don't seem to be directional, so that's ideal. 

##      Would that tyre need to be pumped up to the very high pressure that the standard supplied small Skoda space saver requires, or would it be OK at 32psi, like I run the 4 main tyres on my car?

On to the wheels and maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I couldn't get any of the indicated wheel links to come up in the LLLparts website

##      Are both those suggested wheels 18" or is  the first one a typo and should be shown as a 17" wheel.

##      Presumably the ET25.5 clears all the suspension & brake bits near the Karoq hub.

##      I assume those wheels are fairly lightweight, not like the built-like-a-tank space saver from an old Golf, I currently have in the boot.

Regards

1 hour ago, croquemonsieur said:

I want to get a full diameter space saver for my Karoq, so very interested in your post.  The 135/80R18 space saver tyres shown on camskill don't seem to be directional, so that's ideal. 

##      Would that tyre need to be pumped up to the very high pressure that the standard supplied small Skoda space saver requires, or would it be OK at 32psi, like I run the 4 main tyres on my car?

On to the wheels and maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I couldn't get any of the indicated wheel links to come up in the LLLparts website

##      Are both those suggested wheels 18" or is  the first one a typo and should be shown as a 17" wheel.

##      Presumably the ET25.5 clears all the suspension & brake bits near the Karoq hub.

##      I assume those wheels are fairly lightweight, not like the built-like-a-tank space saver from an old Golf, I currently have in the boot.

If you're using 32psi on your full size tyres, then 3.5Bar (51psi) should be ok with the 135/80R18 tyre size. If you have forgotten to top up the air pressure each year, you could probably get home at 50mph even at 32psi, but that might risk damaging the sidewalls and rim if you hit a pothole, so the closer to 51psi or more the better.

However, both the 125/70R18 and 135/80R18 space saver tyres have a maximum inflation pressure of 4.2Bar (60psi) so it makes sense to inflate them to that pressure when storing them in the boot. Do check the sidewall markings on your space saver tyre to make sure that you are aware of the maximum inflation pressure, and never exceed that value or a life threatening explosion of the tyre could occur.

All tyres gradually lose pressure over time, even if they don't have a slow puncture.

It's a bit like when children have a birthday party and blow up some balloons. The next day many are looking rather deflated. What has happened, is that the air molecules have escaped through the thin rubber. This effect also happens with tyres, but at a much slower pace due to the much thicker rubber. My tyres lose about 3psi every 6 months, and this is normal, ie. if you inflate your tyres to 32psi and check them 6 months later, you might find that they are now only about 29psi. The air lose has nothing to do with how many miles you do, as that won't change how quickly the air is escaping through the rubber.

The actual width of a 125/70R18 tyre fitted to a 3.5J rim will be about 124mm.

The actual width of a 135/80R18 tyre fitted to a 3.5J rim will be about 131mm.

You might think of a 135 tyre as being 10mm wider than a 125 tyre, but the actual difference depends on the rim width that both tyres are fitted to.

The actual width of an inflated tyre is measured from the outside of one sidewall to the outside of the other sidewall, measured at the widest point. So if you had a big rectangular shaped letterbox that had a height of 131mm, you would be able to post your 131mm wide 135/80R18 tyre through the letterbox...assuming the width of the letterbox was at least as wide as the outside diameter of the tyre.

Edited by Carlston