Thoughts on leaving.

My time with my petrol dsg vRS Estate will be ending on Monday when I collect a brand new Kodiaq SE L Executive 190tsi in black magic. This will be my third Kodiaq.

I really can't say i'll miss the Octy apart from the looks. The vRS estate in race blue does look awesome imo.

My main problems with the Octavia are the fake noise that I have to disable EVERY time I drive the car. The fact the fake noise is needed because the engine sounds like a bloody sewing machine. It sounds ok in VW and Seat so why not in the Skoda?

The lane keep assist that also has to be disabled EVERY time. The early infotainment problems that have mostly been fixed it appears. I haven't driven on a motorway recently so couldn't say if the homicidal adaptive cruise would still be trying to kill me or not.

I know it's a performance model but the fuel consumption still isn't good.

Overall I won't miss the car as due to it's 'problems' I haven't really in all honesty enjoyed owning it. It's a 'sporty' model it should excite and for me it didn't. I'm sure others will disagree.

The last time I felt this flat about a car was a 2007 VW Golf R32 which I also didn't really get along with, that was quick but by the time you were having fun you were going at silly speeds.

Maybe i'm just getting old (I am) but that's how I feel after almost 2 years with the car. I think if the car had a 'fruity' exhause note, nothing too silly but something to show some sporting credentials I may have felt differently.

Anyhow that's just my thoughts, some may agree, some might strongly disagree but I thought I would share,

• Thanks 1

In can imagine how all the problems have blunted your enjoyment of it. 

Is it possible that a replacement exhaust, and some obd coding could fix possibly all your issues with it? 

Skoda will always have to be down the pecking order, the vag branding will demand it, so not surprising they can’t make it as sporty as a golf gti. At least it’s better looking than one though! 

I’m lucky that I’ve not really suffered with hardly any of the issues a lot of the early cars suffered with, and even though I had to wait 16 months for it to be delivered, that meant I didn’t get an early one. I think i’d be pretty upset too if I had. 

Hope you enjoy the new car, however I would imagine that it will also need the lane assist disabling after every start up. I think all new cars sold now do don’t they? 

16 hours ago, GreenlineIIEstate said:

The fact the fake noise is needed because the engine sounds like a bloody sewing machine. It sounds ok in VW and Seat so why not in the Skoda?

In Kodiaq this engine doesn't sound any better.

The lane keep assist that also has to be disabled EVERY time.

It can be coded, but default behavior in Kodiaq will be the same i think.

I haven't driven on a motorway recently so couldn't say if the homicidal adaptive cruise would still be trying to kill me or not.

Haven't had such issues, my ACC works ok. But again - in Kodiaq you have exactly same system.

I would expect Kodiaq to consume 20-30% more than O4.

I'm not defending your O4 here. It's pretty subjective, but i understand your feelings about this car.

My point is, that you're changing O4 to Kodiaq, which is based on exactly same platform and tech, so at least some of the issues you had with O4 will also be present in Kodiaq. You probably should've look at some other brands.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Felix2021 said:

Haven't had such issues, my ACC works ok. But again - in Kodiaq you have exactly same system.

I'm not defending your O4 here. It's pretty subjective, but i understand your feelings about this car.

My point is, that you're changing O4 to Kodiaq, which is based on exactly same platform and tech, so at least some of the issues you had with O4 will also be present in Kodiaq. You probably should've look at some other brands.

Took the words out of my mouth… erm… keyboard.

If I were to switch from an O4 to Kodiaq it wouldn’t be for any of the reasons given by the OP; sole reason would be for the higher seat relative to the ground so my ageing back and knees don’t have to work so hard. I certainly don’t need to lug around the heavy third row of seats.

8 hours ago, Felix2021 said:

The Kodiaq isn't sold as a 'performance' car so it's irrelevant.

Kodiaq has cruise not adaptive cruise so not the same system.

Different state of tune so hopefully no worse.

This will be my third Kodiaq so I know what i'm buying.

On 10/02/2023 at 19:56, GreenlineIIEstate said:

My time with my petrol dsg vRS Estate will be ending on Monday when I collect a brand new Kodiaq SE L Executive 190tsi in black magic. This will be my third Kodiaq.

I really can't say i'll miss the Octy apart from the looks. The vRS estate in race blue does look awesome imo.

My main problems with the Octavia are the fake noise that I have to disable EVERY time I drive the car. The fact the fake noise is needed because the engine sounds like a bloody sewing machine. It sounds ok in VW and Seat so why not in the Skoda?

The lane keep assist that also has to be disabled EVERY time. The early infotainment problems that have mostly been fixed it appears. I haven't driven on a motorway recently so couldn't say if the homicidal adaptive cruise would still be trying to kill me or not.

Overall I won't miss the car as due to it's 'problems' I haven't really in all honesty enjoyed owning it. It's a 'sporty' model it should excite and for me it didn't. I'm sure others will disagree.

The last time I felt this flat about a car was a 2007 VW Golf R32 which I also didn't really get along with, that was quick but by the time you were having fun you were going at silly speeds.

Maybe i'm just getting old (I am) but that's how I feel after almost 2 years with the car. I think if the car had a 'fruity' exhause note, nothing too silly but something to show some sporting credentials I may have felt differently.

Anyhow that's just my thoughts, some may agree, some might strongly disagree but I thought I would share,

Kodiaq was refreshed outside but under the bonnet it is 2016 vw technology. Old crap tbh.....

No sense at all to compare it to octavia.

When they build kodiaq on octavia platform then we can chat.

For now it is old sweet in new package.

2 hours ago, GreenlineIIEstate said:

The Kodiaq isn't sold as a 'performance' car so it's irrelevant.

So let me get this straight. You don't like sound of O4 only because it's supposed to be "performance model", but you don't mind exactly same sound in Kodiaq? Makes perfect sense...

Kodiaq has cruise not adaptive cruise so not the same system.

Don't know what you are getting, but most Kodiaqs i know have ACC.

Anyway you clearly had some issue with your, probably just needed calibration. Had (and driven) quite many cars with ACC and none tried to kill me, including my O4.

Different state of tune so hopefully no worse.

Not really. Difference between 190HP and 245HP is not that high. Kodiaq will consume more just because of it's 4x4 and mostly aerodynamics. Been there, done that (although not with 2.0, just 1.5 in O4 and SUV) so i have comparison.

This will be my third Kodiaq so I know what i'm buying.

If you're buying new, than you might not know. FL Kodiaq uses mostly same electronics and systems as O4 (MIB3, assistant systems etc.).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SteveTheElder said:

sole reason would be for the higher seat relative to the ground so my ageing back and knees don’t have to work so hard

Fortunately O4 is not bad in this regard. That's actually one of the reasons i chose O4 over Superb, where driving position is much lower.

O4 is somewhere in between SUV's and Superb (and other similar cars). It's not as comfy to get in or out as SUV, but good enough for me. On the other hand because it's lower, fuel consumption and ride comfort is better.

• Like 1

On 10/02/2023 at 18:56, GreenlineIIEstate said:

And here’s me at 80 years old just about to (1st March) pick up my first vrs.

2 minutes ago, SteveTheElder said:

Hope you enjoy it as much as I do my 1.5TSI.

Will give it my best efforts.  I’ve had Skodas since the famous joke “What do you all a Skoda with a sunroof?” Never been disappointed yet.