Brake disc rust/scoring

marineboy

Hi all

I’ve had my Kamiq since June 22 and now has 4000 miles on the clock. I’ve noticed that the rear offside brake disc is heavily scored and rusty. The other 3 are fine, shiny and flat. I’ve checked the handbrake actuation to that wheel is working alright and it is. I’ve seen reference on this forum to similar problems with discs and wonder if this is the same thing and whether Skoda will replace the disc under warranty and not argue that it is a wear and tear item. 

6D7C8500-595A-4FA1-88D7-3D4FFD0CE379.jpeg

1 hour ago, marineboy said:

Hi all

I’ve had my Kamiq since June 22 and now has 4000 miles on the clock. I’ve noticed that the rear offside brake disc is heavily scored and rusty. The other 3 are fine, shiny and flat. I’ve checked the handbrake actuation to that wheel is working alright and it is. I’ve seen reference on this forum to similar problems with discs and wonder if this is the same thing and whether Skoda will replace the disc under warranty and not argue that it is a wear and tear item. 

/cdn-cgi/mirage/d86055baa6645afb27d5d6ef3d3326feb3b3723f33def44cd5ee6e8ea6d9e48b/1280/https://www.briskoda.net/forums/uploads/monthly_2023_02/6D7C8500-595A-4FA1-88D7-3D4FFD0CE379.thumb.jpeg.ee06c842f93b674327b8e4b1379320e9.jpeg

Looks like the weather direction is affecting that. I go to a empty car park drive about 5/10 mph and apply hand brake not clicked on but with button pressed in and pull up and down to clean. You could try replacing under warranty but you might get the same 

Edited by skoda1982

3 minutes ago, skoda1982 said:

Looks like the weather direction is affecting that. I go to a empty car park drive about 5/10 mph and apply hand brake not clicked on but with button pressed in and pull up and down to clean. You could try replacing under warranty but you might get the same 

That’s a good tip re handbrake. I’ll try that. 

6 hours ago, marineboy said:

Hi all

6D7C8500-595A-4FA1-88D7-3D4FFD0CE379.jpeg

You have my rear discs 😊

Exactly the same thing but at 11k miles and 22 months; Skoda said I had to take car into dealer to argue my case but nearest is almost an hour away and frankly I couldn't be arsed when clear message was "wear & tear". VW Group engineer who had seen the car as a breakdown - I refused ti drive it until inspected - said entirely commonplace issue and to replace with BREMBO pads not VW. Did so at personal cost locally and no further problems - yet

Common problem, the back brakes only do something like 15% of the braking.  It's more unsightly than a technical problem.

No point in getting them changed, as will probably happen again if same discs and pads fitted.   New pads will need to bed in, but might scrub it clean 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HareLaw said:

VW Group engineer who had seen the car as a breakdown - I refused ti drive it until inspected - said entirely commonplace issue and to replace with BREMBO pads not VW. Did so at personal cost locally and no further problems - yet

How many miles ago did you replace it?

Could you share a picture of a new set?

4 minutes ago, marineboy said:

Allesandu, looking at your location I’d say pitted brake discs are the least of your worries. Good luck. 

To tell you the truth, reading car forums is a bit distracting me from this f*cking war 

• Like 1

On that basis Allesandu, how can I not reply and hopeguly how could Skoda not support you

ii,000 miles by the time I gave up on them but by then, car was completely undriveable due to massive juddering in rear wheels

While it's trues to say rear brakes have less use than front I still say this is a ridiculously short life expectancy, but that too may be an inappropriate expression

Good luck in everything

• 2 weeks later...

Mine looked like that after 700 miles.

My Kamiq has just hit 15k and the marks are still there, I will be changing all the brakes soon.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Vanvan said:

I have the exactly same problem starting from day 1 for brand new Kamiq. I concluded that Škoda OEM discs are crap...

It's the vag group supplying them not skoda 

On 13/03/2023 at 16:16, sussamb said:

I've had mine over 2 months now and discs still look pristine 

Lucky You 🙂

I've gotI the first signs of the problem after a half of year.

Hope You'll avoid this drawback

• Like 1

• 1 month later...