Mud Flap Dilemma

NX01

Hi all

As the title suggests I have a dilemma over mud flaps.

I have ordered an L&K to replace my Superb L&K and the one thing that I have not added is mud flaps.

I had mud flaps on my Superb but found that they very often caught when going on and off ferries in the Scottish Highlands. That is when i could even get on the ferries. They tend to have some sharp angles depending on tides and more than a few occasions I have not been able to get on due to either the front or the back being too low to the ground.

Now I know the Kodiaq is so much higher and that is the reason I have gone with it as we want to be able to get around the Scottish Highlands and out to the islands etc with the car loaded.  

Anyone have any experience that they could share, I am currently 50/50 on calling the dealer and having them add mudflaps to the order so it comes fitted with them.

Thanks

We have them on our 2018 Kodiaq and have had no issues with them catching on ferries between the uk an Northern Ireland, including those with steep ramps to the top deck.

I can take some pictures or measurements if you want and im pretty certain they are a very straightforward fit.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, NX01 said:

I am currently 50/50 on calling the dealer and having them add mudflaps to the order so it comes fitted with them.

Do it!

11 minutes ago, Yogi-Bear said:

Pretty sure mudflaps are a dealer-fit accessory rather than something the factory fits, so I wouldn't panic too much about adding them to the order.

I am sure you are spot on, they are in the accessories section on the ETKA parts catalog, so most likely fitted at dealers.

19 minutes ago, skomaz said:

We have them on our 2018 Kodiaq and have had no issues with them catching on ferries between the uk an Northern Ireland, including those with steep ramps to the top deck.

I can take some pictures or measurements if you want and im pretty certain they are a very straightforward fit.

Thanks, that would be very helpful if you do not mind.

Likewise we have not had problems with the usual RoRo ferries with adjustable linkspans.  Calmac don't tend to have them it is literally a steep concrete ramp and the ramp from the ferry dropped on it.

Quick thanks to all.  If that's the case of dealer fit then I have more time to think.  I remember back in 2016 ordering them for factory fit on the Superb as it was cheaper.  Cannot remember the actual figures now.

If it helps you calculate, should you try to fit at a later date, front pair and rear pair are £48 +VAT for each set, so £96+VAT for all 4 corners.

Most likely much cheaper if tacked onto your order.

Wow, just seen on the car configurator, it's £78 for front and £78 for the rear, it's cheaper to fit your own.

Edited by varooom
Additional Information

They don't scrape on the Arran ferry  🤣

When I saw the price dealers wanted to fit them I simply bought them online and fitted them myself.  Even with posting, the Irish dealer used to sell the cheapest mud flaps for the UK but that all changed post Brexit.

Simple DIY job to fit. Front wheels don;t need to come off - just undo the current screws and replace them with slightly larger ones in the mud flap pack. If you have a 90 degree allen tool it's the same with the rears otherwise you just need to remove wheel for easy access. With a power screwdriver, it took me about 15mins to fit all four. 

Edited by kodiaqsportline
  • Like 1

On 03/03/2023 at 14:31, Billywizzo said:

I bought and fitted mine once I got the car. 

I got them from ebay I believe and easy to fit.

Same, I bought brand new original skoda mudflaps from a skoda outlet dealer on eBay, cost me £50 for the full set of front and rear flaps. Took me about an hour in all to fit all four to my kodiaq. Can possibly be fitted with wheels staying on, but much easier to do if you take the wheels off, so good jack stand recommended.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m a pretty tight Scot, but not mean enough to remove the old Mudflaps from the outgoing car.

I don’t mind splashing out on new online Mudflaps for the shiny new car.

”… don’t spoil the ship for a ha’p’orth of tar…”

(btw- it’s referencing sheep, not ship - every day a school day)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BoxerBoy said:

I’m a pretty tight Scot, but not mean enough to remove the old Mudflaps from the outgoing car.

I stole* the one remaining working umbrella and boot nets out of my old Kodiaq before handing in into the dealer...

Would have taken the 360 camera and blind spot systems as well if I could have 🤣

1 hour ago, BoxerBoy said:

Not tight just shrewd!! 😉😂

17 hours ago, Yogi-Bear said:

I stole* the one remaining working umbrella and boot nets out of my old Kodiaq before handing in into the dealer...

Would have taken the 360 camera and blind spot systems as well if I could have 🤣

Mmm, I empathise completely, I think it’s partly the  “ you never know when it’ll come in handy “ syndrome, and partly “ do you know what they would cost if you were to buy them ? “.  ( wether you wanted them or not ! ) Now, as old age settles in, and the pennies aren’t quite as scarce as they were when we were still at the thick end of the mortgage, I have finally got to the “sod it” stage. What finally helped me through the transition was clearing the garage during downsizing three years ago - I threw out a set of 4 stainless wheel trim ‘rings’ that I took off the ( company) Audi 80 before it went back.  -  It was a December 81 on an X .  38 years later they went to the tip, along with untold carpets,mats, and other assorted never used “saves” from a lifetime of cars. I think back to all the cars that I had carpet mats in - and then covered them with rubber mats to protect them - finally selling the car with pristine carpet mats for the next owner to enjoy, when I’d endured utilitarian rubber !  Why ?? 
Currently waiting for a Kodiaq L&K - I did order mudflaps as a dealer fit extra, and yes - I did wince at the £80 odd quid for front and the same for back, but when you’re already north of £45 grand and ticking boxes on the order form - the “sod it “ philosophy really comes into it’s own. And having towed caravans and boats most of my adult life, and always fitted my own tow bars - I never thought I would be paying a thousand pounds for a factory fitted item ( that doesn’t even deploy or retract electrically - as it does on my brother’s Defender and my mates 420 BeeEmm - come on VAG - lift your game )  

But, if the last couple of years have taught us anything at all - it’s that this is not a rehearsal , so do it now .  Hence my response to the salesman’s question  “ would Sir like mudflaps ? “   Sod it - go on then ! 

3 minutes ago, Busa-Boy said:

tow bars... doesn’t even deploy or retract electrically... come on VAG - lift your game

Fully electric on the Macan (and probably other Porsches), but sooo slow. I prefer the half manual solution on the Kodiaq.. deployed and stowed in seconds.

11 hours ago, Busa-Boy said:

………… 38 years later they went to the tip, along with untold carpets,mats, and other assorted never used “saves” from a lifetime of cars. I think back to all the cars that I had carpet mats in - and then covered them with rubber mats to protect them - finally selling the car with pristine carpet mats for the next owner to enjoy, when I’d endured utilitarian rubber !  Why ?? 
……..

Mats!

Today our Polo GTI was collected by BCA at end of (extended) contract.

The original fluffy mat set was still in the original plastic pack, because I’d asked for rubber mats and mud flaps on day 1.

As the GTI cannot be fitted with mud flaps due to sill trim, the salesman gave us rubber mats and boot tray FOC.

Who uses fluffy mats in cars these days?

My incoming Kodiaq will be the third one to wear the same rubber mats.

9 hours ago, BoxerBoy said:

Who uses fluffy mats in cars these days?

Me of course  - probably an age related condition. By the way Boxerboy , did you keep the Polo boot tray ? 

On 15/03/2023 at 18:15, BoxerBoy said:

That was easy.

At a fraction of current dealer prices.

8B30FBE0-8551-439B-AEA1-64B0B643ED97.jpeg