MIB1 android auto/ car play solution

6 hours ago, papatsonis said:

I don't have camera (too lazy to pass the cabling across the car...), the menu i think without an actuall camera, doesnt show something usefull i think

ps.> the resolution is really low on our screen.. but still can playback videos for the kids behind :D (with Fermata Auto)

εικόνα_Viber_2023-03-17_08-51-35-061.jpg

Can you run Netflix with fermata?

With fermata seems no.. But maybe there is a way. 

Another issue i noticed/checked today, it's the proximity sensora for the parking... Simply don't overlay in the Android Auto module. You have sound but if you want to have image, you need to exit to the original infotainment 

16 minutes ago, papatsonis said:

With fermata seems no.. But maybe there is a way. 

Another issue i noticed/checked today, it's the proximity sensora for the parking... Simply don't overlay in the Android Auto module. You have sound but if you want to have image, you need to exit to the original infotainment 

This is odd, in the video, the guy says that it goes to the stock sensors. Have you checked in the settings?

6 hours ago, papatsonis said:

I don't have camera (too lazy to pass the cabling across the car...), the menu i think without an actuall camera, doesnt show something usefull i think

ps.> the resolution is really low on our screen.. but still can playback videos for the kids behind :D (with Fermata Auto)

εικόνα_Viber_2023-03-17_08-51-35-061.jpg

Where do you download Fermata Auto from? Can only see video player in the play store or is this the same? 

Installed and impressed, works well with the larger screen little to no lag present when working through the menus and apps.

Only problem is with my reverse camera... Can't connect it to the new MIB loom as has an RCA cable for connection and my camera has a small purple 5 or 6 pin connector. PDC still works fine however.

20230318_143306.jpg

20230318_143319.jpg

20230318_142702.jpg

20230318_152315.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tcuk31 said:

@CactusjackI didn't think you could have a bigger screen with MIB 1? 

All looking good though.

Yeah 8" screen with Columbus MIB1 from the factory if I'm not mistaken.

4 hours ago, papatsonis said:

@Cactusjack 

So when you engage reverse automatically exits to the stock interface??

Correct, all working ok and returns to Android Auto/Caplay promptly upon exiting reverse. There is a selection in the unit setting to use OEM reverse/PDC display or the unit's own version, either works fine.

• Like 1

I'm not too clued up on the in's and out's of the infotainment combos but as it's just a screen maybe you could swap over to the 8" one?

As for the negatives for this unit, it's the loss of my reverse camera that's annoying me... But that's specific to me as it's an aftermarket one anyway and just bad luck the connections are different, not sure about OEM camera connection/cables.

Last thing would be regarding the OEM radio/media output. If the radio is playing, then it stops when switching to Android Auto, or it will default to automatically playing from the media library HDD/SD card so then playing something via Android Auto doesn't work... These points are likely down to my lack of experience with the unit however, and I just need play with it a bit more to work it out properly.

6 minutes ago, Cactusjack said:

I'm not too clued up on the in's and out's of the infotainment combos but as it's just a screen maybe you could swap over to the 8" one?

As for the negatives for this unit, it's the loss of my reverse camera that's annoying me... But that's specific to me as it's an aftermarket one anyway and just bad luck the connections are different, not sure about OEM camera connection/cables.

Last thing would be regarding the OEM radio/media output. If the radio is playing, then it stops when switching to Android Auto, or it will default to automatically playing from the media library HDD/SD card so then playing something via Android Auto doesn't work... These points are likely down to my lack of experience with the unit however, and I just need play with it a bit more to work it out properly.

Maybe you can use the OEM camera connected to the android auto module of course ;), but will need to mess a bit with the pins of the connector. (Actually the opposite of what demonstrates on this video ;))

So my Infotainment looks like this, It's apparently the Bolero!

It only has one SD Card Clot and no 'NAV' function...

But all the versions of the upgrade unit I can find for sale, when they show "Requirements" All show a glovebox unit with 2x SD cards and the Screen has a 'Nav' button, I think it's the Columbus (or somthing)

So my question is, does anyone reckon it will work with my set up, or am I stuck just streaming music via Bluetooth, and relying on my phone screen for Navigation!?!?

Dashboard.png

Gloovebox.png

On 18/03/2023 at 22:55, Cactusjack said:

Yeah 8" screen with Columbus MIB1 from the factory if I'm not mistaken.

Correct, all working ok and returns to Android Auto/Caplay promptly upon exiting reverse. There is a selection in the unit setting to use OEM reverse/PDC display or the unit's own version, either works fine.

Today i moved properly the car, and i can confirm on my case, doesnt exit the module interface for the parking sensors. Also could you check if it exits the module interface, when you press the ECO/NORMAL/SPORT, etc button?

On 18/03/2023 at 15:58, Cactusjack said:

Installed and impressed, works well with the larger screen little to no lag present when working through the menus and apps.

Only problem is with my reverse camera... Can't connect it to the new MIB loom as has an RCA cable for connection and my camera has a small purple 5 or 6 pin connector. PDC still works fine however.

20230318_143306.jpg

20230318_143319.jpg

20230318_142702.jpg

20230318_152315.jpg

The set up looks great @Cactusjack , you have the same OEM setup as my car , can i ask where you got your unit from ?? , there are so many on Ebay,Amazon and Aliexpress with different prices but all seem to do the same, would sooner get one that has been tested and know it works , thanks 

1 hour ago, papatsonis said:

Today i moved properly the car, and i can confirm on my case, doesnt exit the module interface for the parking sensors. Also could you check if it exits the module interface, when you press the ECO/NORMAL/SPORT, etc button?

Strange, are you manual or DSG? As I have a reverse camera installed and coded, that might have something to do with it, only thing I can think of?

As for the VRS button, it does nothing from the Android Auto screen, you have to exit the interface to return to normal OEM functions. I'm not using the Media button to swap interfaces however as it causes issues with playing the different medias/radio etc as I said a few posts above. If I use the steering wheel control then all works fine!

28 minutes ago, Adib1977 said:

The set up looks great @Cactusjack , you have the same OEM setup as my car , can i ask where you got your unit from ?? , there are so many on Ebay,Amazon and Aliexpress with different prices but all seem to do the same, would sooner get one that has been tested and know it works , thanks 

I got it from the link in the YouTube video on the first post, £173 I think i paid. Arrived a lot quicker than was suggested by AliExpress.

7 minutes ago, Cactusjack said:
7 minutes ago, Cactusjack said:

I got it from the link in the YouTube video on the first post, £173 I think i paid. Arrived a lot quicker than was suggested by AliExpress.

Brilliant , Thanks @Cactusjack , just ordered , surprisingly cheap compared to other sites , didnt say how long it would take to get here though , hopefully not to long , thanks again 

27 minutes ago, Cactusjack said:

Strange, are you manual or DSG? As I have a reverse camera installed and coded, that might have something to do with it, only thing I can think of?

As for the VRS button, it does nothing from the Android Auto screen, you have to exit the interface to return to normal OEM functions. I'm not using the Media button to swap interfaces however as it causes issues with playing the different medias/radio etc as I said a few posts above. If I use the steering wheel control then all works fine!

Manual

Update, maybe i found some info in a ..porsche forum...

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1262130-carplay-install-report.html

"3. The distance display from the ultrasonic sensors does not appear, either going forward, or when the backup camera is up. They said this is because my car is manual and the “signals are not put onto the Canbus like they are in the automatic cars”. All I know is that it used to appear, and now it doesn’t. The audio signal is still present, you just don’t know where it is coming from. I don’t know if this is a limitation just with the ZZ2 system or if the NM would have the same problem."

and later..

Most of the Porsche vehicles from 2012-2016, equipped with manual transmission, don't have the reverse information in the CAN BUS line in the vehicle. CAN bus is a set of 2 electrical wires (CAN_Low & CAN_High) in the car network where information can be sent to and from ECUs. So if this information is not available in the CAN BUS line our unit can't read the reverse data, not allowing the module to provide the Dynamic Lines in reverse or to display the little Parking Sensor diagram on the screen. So basically 99% of the manual transmission vehicles, if you add a rear camera, you will see an image with the static lines provided by the camera and that is pretty much it. You still can hear the beep from the sensors, but the diagram is not going to be available, because the image of the camera takes priority on the screen.

"case closed"
 as seems suspiciously exactly the same case ;)

6 hours ago, Adib1977 said:

Brilliant , Thanks @Cactusjack , just ordered , surprisingly cheap compared to other sites , didnt say how long it would take to get here though , hopefully not to long , thanks again 

You're welcome, I ordered on the 4th March and it was delivered in the 13th for reference.

• Like 1

I'm also thinking about this (2014, DSG, MIB1 Amundsen).

I have a retrofitted parking sensor (from Skoda not 3rd party) does anybody know if that will still work? Or worst case I have to exit to the OEM system manually?

Also, what is the situation with the steering wheel buttons, this should not interfere with that, right?

Thanks! 🙇‍♂️

On 19/03/2023 at 18:32, Simoneale1973 said:

So my Infotainment looks like this, It's apparently the Bolero!

It only has one SD Card Clot and no 'NAV' function...

But all the versions of the upgrade unit I can find for sale, when they show "Requirements" All show a glovebox unit with 2x SD cards and the Screen has a 'Nav' button, I think it's the Columbus (or somthing)

So my question is, does anyone reckon it will work with my set up, or am I stuck just streaming music via Bluetooth, and relying on my phone screen for Navigation!?!?

Dashboard.png

Gloovebox.png

it should work. 

my guess is that the glove box unit has no influence. The unit just switches and takes advantage of the screen.

You should be good to go.

Edited by nickytheshaft