MIB1 android auto/ car play solution

On 23/03/2023 at 22:25, Cactusjack said:

Parking sensors work as intended. As for the steering wheel controls, they still function, volume and track skip for Spotify etc when in android auto, and maxidot controls work fine.

Hello @Cactusjack do your parking oem sensors display when you go into reverse ?? Got my unit fitted today and noticed mine dont ?? Also at night the maps screen stays bright and doesn't dim automatically,  am I missing something ?? Thanks 

Yes they do, is it a different display that shows on yours? There's an option in the settings to switch between OEM and aftermarket display. Or does it not switch at all?

As for the maps, I'm not too sure as I've not noticed it...

5 minutes ago, Cactusjack said:

Yes they do, is it a different display that shows on yours? There's an option in the settings to switch between OEM and aftermarket display. Or does it not switch at all?

As for the maps, I'm not too sure as I've not noticed it...

Nothing displays at all , i have spoken to Aliexpress ( that was a misson lol ) and they are looking into it 

19 hours ago, Adib1977 said:

Hello @Cactusjack do your parking oem sensors display when you go into reverse ?? Got my unit fitted today and noticed mine dont ?? Also at night the maps screen stays bright and doesn't dim automatically,  am I missing something ?? Thanks 

Have you enabled in the settings? 

Screenshot_20230330-153731.png

Hello Tuck31 , yes tried all options on , nothing , all options off and nothing , Aliexpress offered a free rear camera as compensation to resolve the issue , so im guessing they know this can be a problem and typically its an issue on mine 😞

Hi, 

I just contacted the aliexpress based on adib1977 post, and the Chinese guy replied me the following...

"For manual transmission, it need to connect a line to the rear light of the car, and connect it to the brown reversing control wired of the carplay box, so that the rear view can be triggered,friend"

The problem is that it's needed to pass the cable like doing installation for reverse camera...

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, papatsonis said:

Hi, 

I just contacted the aliexpress based on adib1977 post, and the Chinese guy replied me the following...

"For manual transmission, it need to connect a line to the rear light of the car, and connect it to the brown reversing control wired of the carplay box, so that the rear view can be triggered,friend"

The problem is that it's needed to pass the cable like doing installation for reverse camera...

Thanks for enquiring @papatsonis , the reason i got this unit over others was what i though the ease of fitment and the adaptability to work with the cars others functions , but without the need of additional wiring , this doesn't seem to be the case . shame , the function of android auto is brilliant , works fantastically , but a couple of niggling issues have let it down for me . never mind , back to the drawing board .

Something is wrong here. 

I hade an Android head unit in my manual Octavia and reverse triggered a radar. 

I don't see why the manual reverse instruction would not go trought the canbus. If it was the case then you would never have the Radar, even on the stock head unit.

Do you have such a cable labelled on the unit? If not then I think they are juste playing you.

@nickytheshaft it seems there is such a cable for the units that dont get the reverse signal through the canbus ;) . I just had ignored/not  noticed, was based more on what i saw on the video..

In the end also to me he offered a free reverse cam, as i needed also 2-3 meters of cabling to bring the reverse voltage, to the infotainment area...

-895079341646942593.jpg.9c40e5d23e0b0746bbf65892d8853019.jpg

7 minutes ago, nickytheshaft said:

Something is wrong here. 

I hade an Android head unit in my manual Octavia and reverse triggered a radar. 

I don't see why the manual reverse instruction would not go trought the canbus. If it was the case then you would never have the Radar, even on the stock head unit.

Do you have such a cable labelled on the unit? If not then I think they are juste playing you.

Yes , i agree , they have asked for videos to be sent to them of the unit not working correctly , so ill send them , and hopefully send it back , but i think i may have a fight on my hands 

1 hour ago, papatsonis said:

@nickytheshaft it seems there is such a cable for the units that dont get the reverse signal through the canbus ;) . I just had ignored/not  noticed, was based more on what i saw on the video..

In the end also to me he offered a free reverse cam, as i needed also 2-3 meters of cabling to bring the reverse voltage, to the infotainment area...

-895079341646942593.jpg.9c40e5d23e0b0746bbf65892d8853019.jpg

You should test that reverse cable to see if it is not to send the 12v to the camera.

If yes the problem is elsewhere, if no then this box has an odd construction as the reverse signal goes trought the quadlock.

1 hour ago, Adib1977 said:

Yes , i agree , they have asked for videos to be sent to them of the unit not working correctly , so ill send them , and hopefully send it back , but i think i may have a fight on my hands 

I am affraid you do... 

but if you recieved the unit recently, open a request before your time runs out.

and ask them for the user manual.

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/03/2023 at 15:14, nickytheshaft said:

I am affraid you do... 

but if you recieved the unit recently, open a request before your time runs out.

and ask them for the user manual.

Just a quick update , they have agreed to take the unit back , as it appears it is faulty after all , it has put me off the unit to be fair , so I'll be looking at replacing the entire system with an android unit , but not sure which one to go for and keep all the functions my columbus has . Wish me luck 

10 minutes ago, Adib1977 said:

Just a quick update , they have agreed to take the unit back , as it appears it is faulty after all , it has put me off the unit to be fair , so I'll be looking at replacing the entire system with an android unit , but not sure which one to go for and keep all the functions my columbus has . Wish me luck 

Keep us updated if you find a decent android unit with everything working. I'm still keeping options open at the moment. 

2 minutes ago, Tcuk31 said:

Keep us updated if you find a decent android unit with everything working. I'm still keeping options open at the moment. 

Will do @Tcuk31 , I'm being told the Teyes cc3 is supposed to be a great unit , so doing some research on that 👍

5 hours ago, Adib1977 said:

Will do @Tcuk31 , I'm being told the Teyes cc3 is supposed to be a great unit , so doing some research on that 👍

These units work good as long as you are ready to loose some functions and mostely call quality. None of theme have good call quality and they do not understand speach recognition with android Auto. My advice, don't go that road. I have had 3 android units and finally went for a full mib2 upgrade.

If you wish to go that root, the ebilaen is the only one that had drive profile sélection showing on the screen.

As I said, call quality is horrible on every units and you will loose some functions and car settings. 

Edited by nickytheshaft
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, nickytheshaft said:

These units work good as long as you are ready to loose some functions and mostely call quality. None of theme have good call quality and they do not understand speach recognition with android Auto. My advice, don't go that road. I have had 3 android units and finally went for a full mib2 upgrade.

If you wish to go that root, the ebilaen is the only one that had drive profile sélection showing on the screen.

As I said, call quality is horrible on every units and you will loose some functions and car settings. 

I did look down the route of upgrading to an MIB 2 unit , but the price scared me , but at the same time I don't want to lose the cars functions , which is why I went for this option and unfortunately it didn't work .

2 hours ago, Adib1977 said:

I did look down the route of upgrading to an MIB 2 unit , but the price scared me , but at the same time I don't want to lose the cars functions , which is why I went for this option and unfortunately it didn't work .

I hear you and had the same plan.

These head units are good, juste bare in mind that you will loose some features like car diag ( I had a low oil level, the unit could not read the fault, fortunetely, the small dot matrix on the cluster could read it.) You will not have acces to all the car settings and and insisit on the call quality, while driving a highway speed, there is no noise cancellation like the stock microphone (that I tried hooking to the unit but it is a powerd mic so it didn't work) , so makes it unusable. I walked around it by adding a usb powered noise cancellation microphone it was ok but far from the stock sound. 

Also, to be able to hear the gps navigation, i had to install a 3rd party tts app and asign the app as the gps app. Not doing it, the navigation instructions are inaudible if you are on anything else than fm radio. 

if you can work with this then yes, these units are amazing but I personnaly went with th MIB2 upgrade. Worth every penny.

• 1 month later...

Hello all 

Just an update , i got the refund for the unit , they also said they would refund me the postage to return the unit ( Cost me £30 to post back to China ) but never received that , tried messaging multiple times and in the end got ignored , tried different avenues to contact Ali Express , but as the matter was classed as " complete " i could get any message across , so be aware , you may not get all your money back , in the end i was just happy to get the lump sum back for the unit . wont be using " Aliexpress" for anything else . 

Managed to get a Teyes CC3 unit fitted to the car , does everything i want it too and controls the cars functions as the original unit did  , but will be saving my pennies to upgrade to MIB2.5 Columbus in the future . 

Cheers

On 05/06/2023 at 17:27, Adib1977 said:

Hello all 

Just an update , i got the refund for the unit , they also said they would refund me the postage to return the unit ( Cost me £30 to post back to China ) but never received that , tried messaging multiple times and in the end got ignored , tried different avenues to contact Ali Express , but as the matter was classed as " complete " i could get any message across , so be aware , you may not get all your money back , in the end i was just happy to get the lump sum back for the unit . wont be using " Aliexpress" for anything else . 

Managed to get a Teyes CC3 unit fitted to the car , does everything i want it too and controls the cars functions as the original unit did  , but will be saving my pennies to upgrade to MIB2.5 Columbus in the future . 

Cheers

Does your stock usb work? if not then check the huge poste on android head units, another user and I poster hox to rewire the plug going to the head unit. 

when you press the driving mode button does it show up on the screen? + how is the call quality?

1 minute ago, nickytheshaft said:

Does your stock usb work? if not then check the huge poste on android head units, another user and I poster hox to rewire the plug going to the head unit. 

when you press the driving mode button does it show up on the screen? + how is the call quality?

Hello 

I removed the original USB and fitted the USB from the new screen , fits in place ,and you wouldn't know its not OEM 

Driving mode shows on the screen when pressed , call quality so far has be great , no complaints 

1 hour ago, Tcuk31 said:

Has anyone tried one of these? Sounds like it works with everything and is easy to fit.

https://pluscenter.co.uk/products/skoda-octavia-rapid-2013-2019-android-12-car-stereo-head-unit

You can see my earlier comment on these head units. If you décide to go this route, stay away from the 2g models and go at least for the 4g's

1 hour ago, nickytheshaft said:

You can see my earlier comment on these head units. If you décide to go this route, stay away from the 2g models and go at least for the 4g's

I was wondering about this particular model not just any android head unit. This seems to tick all the boxes with easy installation, car menus retained etc and has good ratings but wanted a real opinion from someone that had tried it. 

14 hours ago, Tcuk31 said:

I was wondering about this particular model not just any android head unit. This seems to tick all the boxes with easy installation, car menus retained etc and has good ratings but wanted a real opinion from someone that had tried it. 

How easy are they to fit? Do they plug into the Infotainment unit in the Glove Box? or is it a complete replacement!?