Skoda, satnav – is it worth persevering with?

Hi all,

Nothing newbie question.

I am finding Skoda’s satnav quite clunky to use. It is not a slick as Google Maps on my phone, where are you can type in names of places, and  it finds out the coordinates for you, and can easily set a route et cetera.

The only thing Google Maps can’t do, using smart link, is appear on the virtual dashboard as the map routine. I need to look left and down to see the map, which isn’t great for complex roundabouts et cetera.

Is the Skoda satnav worth persevering with?

I also see, that after the first year, you need to pay yearly subscriptions for traffic updates.  A less slick satnav, and you also have to pay for it?!

Hope you guys can advise.

Regards.

Martin.

I’ve found the same with the Škoda navigation, certainly not the most intuitive system in the world. In fairness I’ve not used a manufacturers built-in nav that ever was to be honest.

Come the end of my initial 12 month ‘everything included for free’ period I won’t be renewing it, both Apple Maps and Google Maps are so much more user friendly and easier on the eye. Obviously the live traffic reporting and ‘free’ continuous updates also make it a no-brainier for me, I do wonder why manufacturers think people would choose their clunky, overpriced systems over Android Auto or CarPlay? (Provided it’s supported of course)

As an example in my previous vehicle, a Vauxhall but please don’t hold that against me 😆, they wanted £125 for a subscription to their live traffic reporting after the first year of ownership. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Modders said:

I’ve found the same with the Škoda navigation, certainly not the most intuitive system in the world. In fairness I’ve not used a manufacturers built-in nav that ever was to be honest.

Come the end of my initial 12 month ‘everything included for free’ period I won’t be renewing it, both Apple Maps and Google Maps are so much more user friendly and easier on the eye. Obviously the live traffic reporting and ‘free’ continuous updates also make it a no-brainier for me, I do wonder why manufacturers think people would choose their clunky, overpriced systems over Android Auto or CarPlay? (Provided it’s supported of course)

As an example in my previous vehicle, a Vauxhall but please don’t hold that against me 😆, they wanted £125 for a subscription to their live traffic reporting after the first year of ownership. 

Thanks for the sanity check Modders!!

Is there any way to get the google maps on the info screen, to appear on the virtual desktop?!

The virtual screen is a blank display, with content  all O/S driven so must be technically possible.

Cheers

Martin

Morning

I don’t have the full VC so can’t help with that unfortunately but as far as I’m aware you can only put the Škoda nav screen on the VC, I may be wrong but I’m sure that’s what I’ve read somewhere 🤔

I have driven a Karoq with the full VC and tried it with the nav but can’t honestly say it’s something I’d use, I prefer to use the main screen as I found it a bit too cramped and busy with the map displayed in there to be of any use. (To me at least) 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Modders said:

Morning

I don’t have the full VC so can’t help with that unfortunately but as far as I’m aware you can only put the Škoda nav screen on the VC, I may be wrong but I’m sure that’s what I’ve read somewhere 🤔

I have driven a Karoq with the full VC and tried it with the nav but can’t honestly say it’s something I’d use, I prefer to use the main screen as I found it a bit too cramped and busy with the map displayed in there to be of any use. (To me at least) 

I do agree with you.

The VC screen needs work to make the sat nav guidance better.  Smaller Rev and speed counters, better graphics etc.

regards

Martin

• Like 1

On 17/03/2023 at 14:23, Skoda_martin said:

Hi all,

Nothing newbie question.

I am finding Skoda’s satnav quite clunky to use. It is not a slick as Google Maps on my phone, where are you can type in names of places, and  it finds out the coordinates for you, and can easily set a route et cetera.

The only thing Google Maps can’t do, using smart link, is appear on the virtual dashboard as the map routine. I need to look left and down to see the map, which isn’t great for complex roundabouts et cetera.

Is the Skoda satnav worth persevering with?

I also see, that after the first year, you need to pay yearly subscriptions for traffic updates.  A less slick satnav, and you also have to pay for it?!

Hope you guys can advise.

Regards.

Martin.

I use it the Skoda sat-nav in preference to Google maps, but that said, for the vast majority of my journeys, I tend to know where I'm going. I don't use sat-nav enough for any clunkiness in the user interface to be a nuisance.

Entering an address in the Skoda system isn't as easy as Google maps, especially as you can use voice control for Google maps, which is really handy.

The voice control on my Skoda is rubbish, which considering it's a 2019 car, is a big disappointment.

I'm not a big fan of Google Maps, which I find tends to give very poor instructions.

Example: Google maps tells you to leave the M42 at the "Bickenhill Interchange". What it means is Junction 6. There is no signage on the motorway that tells you junction 6 is the "Bickenhill Interchange", so it's a poor instruction.

Obviously it's clear on the map, but it's a silly mistake the Skoda sat-nav doesn't make.

I've also found Google maps gets confused on some roads under certain conditions, but that may be down to urban conditions affecting the satellite lock. Whatever the problem, my Skoda system is more dependable.

I've navigated a journey with both Google and Skoda sat-navs running, and I found the Skoda sat-nav gave more timely instructions than Google maps.

If I could only use one system, I'd choose the Skoda system. If I was a delivery driver, I'd probably choose the Google system, as the voice control is so useful.

• Like 3

• 7 months later...

I've had my "new-to-me" Fabia with Skoda SatNav for a week, and I gave up with the SatNav on day two.  I much prefer my Garmin Drive 52 which has lifetime maps, and (when connected via Bluetooth to my iPhone) gives me traffic updates.  It also that the advantage that I can remove it from the car allowing me to do updates and route planning in the warmth and comfort of my home.  And if/when it breaks down, I can simply replace with another one for around 100 quid. 

So the fancy Skoda infotainment system is used for playing Radio 4 or MP3 files from a USB stick.

As far as the VC is concerned I believe you can toggle it between showing the map or the next turn like mib2. Map on that display up front is too small but next turn with lane assist at eye level and distance to go is useful.

There will be a mib4 circa 2024 so that will be interesting to see how they improve the design of mib3. Mib2 to me feels like a proper sat nav system (POI import, decent favourite and last destinations store) whilst mib3 they embarked on making it more Google maps like but didn't manage to do it.

• 1 month later...

Save your sanity. 

Just replace the unit with an Android one 

We've had a standalone Garmin satnav on our dash since September 2022. 

Whilst touring in Germany, Austria, France and the Netherlands last year, we gave up on our factory fitted Amundsen which had been in our new car since 2017. 

Bad touchscreen, poor directions, nightmare to update, and having to look down at it.... Nah! 

Like most fitted units, very poor. 

I'm not going back to the adhoc arrangement mobile phones drop down the dash. The FIS / VC put the next turn on the dash in front of you. Adhoc solutions don't. Admit the Google maps has advantages with the POIs better built in. Mib2 is more like a standard GPS system and can be made like it. Old Skoda tricks to do that, that I use.

Yeti reckon that will be on mib1 probably not Android Auto ?. Maps no longer issued free. Horses for courses. See what mib4 is like next year. I'm waiting for mib5 🤣.

Offline mapping is useful for travelling abroad and in rural areas where 4g is zero. Best to use both 😉.