Heating issue (?)

victor_lefter

Hi, guys, 

Just bought a 2019 Karoq SportLine and I have, I guess, an issue with the interior heating. I looked up the forum, but didn't find something similar, so maybe it's just in my head.

I'm coming from a 2013 Superb that could melt your ass if you set up the Climatronic on HI. Now, the Karoq will start to heat the cabin pretty fast and neat, but, after around 15-20 minutes drive it will begin blowing warm and then almost cold air. If I crank up the setting to 25-26, it will again blow some warm air and so on.

I noticed that, unlike the Superb, the max value that I can input is around 29 and just afterwards it has the Hi value, so I'm wondering if maybe the sensor inside the cabin is too sensitive and believes that the temperature is actually higher than in reality. It's not like I'm freezing in the car, but it's also unpleasant to set the temp to 22 (like I did in the Superb) and get cold air after some time (I really don't think it can heat up the cabin that fast, even if it there are around 10-11 degrees outside). If I set it up to HI it will blow hot air immediately, thus I don't know what to believe, it doesn't seem to be an issue with the heating system per se. 

If you have any ideas or maybe encountered the same problem, please enlighten me :)

Thanks, 

Victor

• 1 year later...

The heating in our 2018 SEl Karok is poor by far the worst performing system we have experienced in any car.  I can live with it but the better half always complains that it is not hot enough and her legs are cold.

Compared to her quite old Hyundai i10 the Karok acheives no where near the same heat output. There have been complaints about the poor heater on other posts on here some time ago.

17 hours ago, Andy1982 said:

Hi Victor,

Did you ever fix the problem with your heater? My 2018 Karoq is doing the same thing and I would like to fix it.

Thanks,

Andy

Hi,

not to this moment, I've just learned to live with it, maybe we are lucky that the climate in Belgium is not that cold, plus the heated seats that do a good job. 

But my wife complains sometimes and for good reason, it is the poorest heating system I've experienced in any car so far. 

Its just the climate control working as it should!

you set 20c it warms to 20 and maintains it. if you set it to 25 it will get warm again to get the temp to 25 then maintain it. 

If you get in and the sun has warmed the car and you set the climate to 22, it will cool to 22. 

might take some getting used to but its working as it should. 

• Like 2

The problem is the inertia in the heating system whereas with most cars the heat is almost instant in the Karoq by the time it has reached its intended temperature the journey is over! If it ever gets there. Even my old series Land riover has a  heater that I prefer. 

1 hour ago, Karock said:

The problem is the inertia in the heating system whereas with most cars the heat is almost instant in the Karoq by the time it has reached its intended temperature the journey is over! If it ever gets there. Even my old series Land riover has a  heater that I prefer. 

As far as I am aware the heat supplied to most petrol and diesel cars is supplied from the waste heat from the combustion of fuel. When the car is first started water only circulates within the engine block as the thermostat cuts off water flow to the radiator. If the heater is on the water will gradually warm up and the heater will slowly become effective. The only way to get anything approaching instant heat is to have an electric heating elemet to provide it, and that will potentially have an effect on fuel consumption.

• Like 1

Routemaster you misunderstood my last post. Nobody with any sense would switch on the heater in any car until the coolant is up to temperature but then you do expect heat to transfer immediately to the cabin unless of course you happen to have a 1.5 SEL Karoq.

www,bertram-hill.com

Not sure why you're having an issue, once my engine has warmed up there is no problem warming up the car.

11 hours ago, Karock said:

Routemaster you misunderstood my last post. Nobody with any sense would switch on the heater in any car until the coolant is up to temperature but then you do expect heat to transfer immediately to the cabin unless of course you happen to have a 1.5 SEL Karoq.

www,bertram-hill.com

My heating/aircon is never switched off.

Tom

@Sanqhar While you do not switch off the AC the car inhibits it / stops it operating when the ambient temp is at 3*oC and lower. 

As to interior temps.   Just to maybe reduce moans from passengers. 

'Simply clever' is to have a Thermometer in the car and actually see what temperature the centre of the cabin does reach in comparison to the temperature requested on the dash.

Reading temps at the vents is not that relevant really if it is Climatronic. . 

@Karoq  I take it you mean 'Any ICE car'. 

BEV,s have Coolant, but that is not what can put heat into the cabin before the car has even started moving.

& That is without the car being on a charger.

The issue now is with petrols that getting the Cat & GPF operating efficiently is more important for the Manufacturers & the WLTP / RDE2 than the comfort of occupants of the vehicles.

Screenshot 2024-04-02 09.58.11.png

Edited by Rooted

12 hours ago, Karock said:

www,bertram-hill.com

Your problem is probably not the heater unless the matrix is blocked with Silkat but with the cooling system during the warm up phase, according to you, myself and most drivers have no sense because we leave our manual or Climatronic heating systems set to our desired comfort level when driving off from a cold start.

Thanks to Simply Clever Skoda (VAG actually) our vehicles not only warm up far faster than their predecessors but start to produce very significant heat long before the engine approaches operating temperature, your vehicle being the exception, mine is a diesel and even on the coldest winter day it is producing measurable heat after one mile of slow rural driving, very significant heat after 2 miles enough that I can put the fan on full, the engine will reach temperature within 4 miles but on very cold days below minus 10°c it never actually reaches it but the heater output never diminishes.

All this is achieved through a combination of devices whose sole purpose is to minimise the warm up time and to maximise the heater output from the earliest possible moment, they are the sliding sleeve water pump, the auxiliary circulation pump(s), and flow diversion valve(s), I do not know what combination of devices are fitted to your car but am certain that as nobody else is complaining about their heater output your problem is due to failure or malfunction of one of them.

With VCDS you can check no end of relevant parameters live and/or data log them, actual engine temperature (which will not be that shown on the guage) heater plenum temperature, temperature from the vents, the commanded and actual positions of all the airflow flaps and many more which may explain your problem like the ambient temperature sensor or the sun sensor, the latter could also be a suspect now I think about it.

Edited by J.R.

On 31/03/2024 at 22:38, MrAdamwood said:

Its just the climate control working as it should!

you set 20c it warms to 20 and maintains it. if you set it to 25 it will get warm again to get the temp to 25 then maintain it. 

If you get in and the sun has warmed the car and you set the climate to 22, it will cool to 22. 

might take some getting used to but its working as it should. 

No, it's actually not working as it should, it is one thing to maintain temperature and another to simply blow cold air constantly. 

And I will give you the best example, from this Sunday, when we were leaving Paris: big storm just started, it was raining like crazy, so the outside temp was around 12-13 degrees and we set the climatronic to 24. Guess what, it was blowing cold air and the only way to get some heating was to turn it up to 28. We should have been melting at that point, but the temperature was at best around 22-23 degrees inside (which is perfectly fine, but not given the value set on the climatronic). 

Had the 2013 Superb before the Karoq, never had this issue, if I put it on 24 or above I would sweat instantly.