I prefer a real tint

Not for me I'm afraid. To my eyes, poverty blue makes it look like it's the base model that's spent a few hours at Halfords. If we're talking aesthetics,  my money would gone toward metallic paint.

Rather than go for tints ( for which the insurer needs to be informed as it's a mod ) I optioned the family pack. Same effect when you raise the blinds. ( family pack is or at least used to be cheaper than going for just blinds alone ).

Edited by kodiaqsportline

3 hours ago, kodiaqsportline said:

Not for me I'm afraid. To my eyes, poverty blue makes it look like it's the base model that's spent a few hours at Halfords. If we're talking aesthetics,  my money would gone toward metallic paint.

Rather than go for tints ( for which the insurer needs to be informed as it's a mod ) I optioned the family pack. Same effect when you raise the blinds. ( family pack is or at least used to be cheaper than going for just blinds alone ).

I’ve splashed out on paint in the past, but it’s getting silly these days. Red for £1,000+ no thanks.

My wife and I are liking the poverty blue.

I’ve also wasted money on blinds in a previous Superb, but I found them a faff and they don’t shade the boot area.

The money I saved on paint contributed to other extras I find more useful.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BoxerBoy said:

I’ve also wasted money on blinds in a previous Superb, but I found them a faff and they don’t shade the boot area.

Have zero experience of the Superb but they do on the Kodiaq. Why did you find them a faff? They're always in the raised position on my car - I never have to touch them.

1 hour ago, BoxerBoy said:

I’ve splashed out on paint in the past, but it’s getting silly these days. Red for £1,000+ no thanks.

How much did the paint cost you on your last car?   According to the earliest price list I have ( 16th June 2020 ) red metallic on a SEL was £975. Today the price is £1045, that's a mere £70 increase. I might be doing us sterotypical Scotsmen a bad service when I say I don't notice £70 when I've just forked out near £40k on a car. 🤣   

Just out of curiosity, didn't you say elswhere the car was bought on PCP or was leased?  So what happens when you want to do things like tint windows? Do you have to ask permission from the car owner?  If it's not a factory extra I know you certainly have to inform the insurer. It's things like that I find a faff.     

11 hours ago, kodiaqsportline said:

Just out of curiosity, didn't you say elswhere the car was bought on PCP or was leased?  So what happens when you want to do things like tint windows? Do you have to ask permission from the car owner?  If it's not a factory extra I know you certainly have to inform the insurer. It's things like that I find a faff.     

With a lease, supposed to ask permission and of course, and contractually are obliged to remove anything added before returning.

PCP is more of a grey area, if you intend to pay balance and buy it, no one will ever check so can sort of do what you like.  Even if it was an Insurance claim, as long as finance is settled will be no investigation.  If returned at end then it might affect what value you get for it to settle out.   But if it is repossessed then questions will definitely be asked.   

Both PCP and PCH offer you the car at the end of the rental period. 

BCA that is. Saves them the hassle of collecting if you buy it.

Never have I been asked if “the car has been modified”.

Their thorough inspection ticks a few boxes and rates the car as A, B, C.

End of story.

Back to the original topic of tints…. What grade of tint is that dark smoke or limo. Also did you get the tailgate tinted the same or slightly lighter to make vision easier?

As for insurance, you’ll probably find it’ll be cheaper as you’ve improved the security. 

Fine if it had no extra cost as your declare the tint.  Not sure it improves security over a car you can see in and that has nothing on show and might have stuff in the boot, compared to blacked out vehicle that could maybe used for business even as a van and can be worth breaking into on the off chance.     No fruit and veg is stored in this vehicle overnight stickers maybe worth applying.   PS my Shogun was owned by the owner of the biggest chemists and delivery group for medicines in the Strathclyde area.  It is a van so what looks like just tints is because a commercial, 2 seat only so no rear windows and extra security that was a PITA to get removed.  Lots of estate cars blacked out are doing similar or maybe private ambulances for undertakers. 

Edited by toot

On 07/04/2023 at 22:20, BoxerBoy said:

Never have I been asked if “the car has been modified”.

Now there's a politicians answer if I ever heard one  🤣

You may never have been asked 'has the car been modified', but it's almost certain you signed a finance agreement with wording that says you cannot modify the car without the owners permission.

23 hours ago, MarkN901 said:

As for insurance, you’ll probably find it’ll be cheaper as you’ve improved the security. 

You've got to be joking.   Tinting the glass means it'll cost more to replace. Statistically, aftermarket mods are more likely to attract claims.

Adding go faster strips makes sod all difference to the safety or performance of a car but statistically Mr Boring Joe Average doesn't do that - it's only done by people who're a greater risk of claims therfore you could find insurance rises ( quite substantially in certain cases ) for even the most mundane and innocent of modifications.

Insurance is based on risk. If someone has limo tints that means they have something to hide. Or if it makes the car stand out from the crowd, then it's more attractive to theives.  

Unless the glass of the factory car is replaced with tinted glass then it is a film applied inside.  Accident repair requires replacement standard glass and the tinter then applying tint again, the film, maybe at you to own expense.   Plenty buying a car with sunset glass as standard ask about non tinted to use the car as a taxi / private hire as some councils do not allow rear tints. 

19 minutes ago, kodiaqsportline said:

You've got to be joking.   Tinting the glass means it'll cost more to replace. Statistically, aftermarket mods are more likely to attract claims.

Adding go faster strips makes sod all difference to the safety or performance of a car but statistically Mr Boring Joe Average doesn't do that - it's only done by people who're a greater risk of claims therfore you could find insurance rises ( quite substantially in certain cases ) for even the most mundane and innocent of modifications.

Insurance is based on risk. If someone has limo tints that means they have something to hide. Or if it makes the car stand out from the crowd, then it's more attractive to theives.  

The majority of car crime is by opportunistic smack heads looks for something to sell on to get the next fix. If it’s on open display through a clear window they will go for that vehicle rather than one they have to spend time peering into close up. So by making it harder to look in you are reducing the risk. 

10 minutes ago, toot said:

Unless the glass of the factory car is replaced with tinted glass then it is a film applied inside.  Accident repair requires replacement standard glass and the tinter then applying tint again, the film, maybe at you to own expense.   Plenty buying a car with sunset glass as standard ask about non tinted to use the car as a taxi / private hire as some councils do not allow rear tints. 

If I was in the position of having to make an insurance claim I’d be happy to have the OEM glass fitted and then get the window tinted again at my own expense. Most insurance companies from experience have a small excess for the replacement of vehicle glass as they recognise that it can easily be damaged and equally easily replaced. 

On 06/04/2023 at 22:09, BoxerBoy said:

My wife and I are liking the poverty blue.

The money I saved on paint contributed to other extras I find more useful.

I'm with you on the paint choice :thumbup:

Actually quite partial to the flat (+ free) blue and opted to spend the cost on extras which benefit us on a daily basis.

Mine is a Karoq, although think both vehicles suit the dynamic blue.

• Like 1

On 07/04/2023 at 22:52, MarkN901 said:

Back to the original topic of tints…. What grade of tint is that dark smoke or limo. Also did you get the tailgate tinted the same or slightly lighter to make vision easier?

The shop offered 4 options, from very light to Limo.

I’ve got one less than Limo, so Dark I guess. 

Did not touch the tailgate as I do a lot of reversing and like to see out the window.

The new reversing camera is merely a novelty toy to let me see where I’ve parked. I’m a Reverse Parker, every time.

I just like the look.  Keeps the peeping Toms at bay, reduces the solar gain on 5 grandchildren (back door blinds don’t cut it for 7 seats) and a little bit more privacy for the folk I chauffeur around (charity before anyone tells me I have to notify my insurance company about taxi driving).

• Love it! 1

On 08/04/2023 at 23:10, toot said:

I think the local council tint ban applies to taxis/private hire used to carry school children. I don't believe they're a problem for taxis/private hire carrying adults, though that may be different in areas which have had local problems with taxi-drivers molesting passengers.

2 hours ago, BoxerBoy said:

I just like the look.  Keeps the peeping Toms at bay, reduces the solar gain on 5 grandchildren (back door blinds don’t cut it for 7 seats) and a little bit more privacy for the folk I chauffeur around (charity before anyone tells me I have to notify my insurance company about taxi driving).

Or attracts peeping Toms - depends how you look at it ( exuse the pun ).   If you think about it, you'd have to have stuff on display in the first place in order to hide it behind tinted glass.

Nothing wrong with vanity but if anyone says it's for security, they're only fooling themselves.

I have to say tho, having dark tints in the rearmost seats. I'd have thought that claustophobic. I'm sure I read on Briskoda sometime ago about their passengers feeling car sick with extra tinted windows. At least with blinds you haven't put all your eggs in the one basket.  ( that's a feable attempt at an Easter pun )

I remember reading someone on Briskoda recommended the company carshades. I quite liked the idea of these but as I say, it'd make the rearmost area very dark. Even the sunroof doesn't extend that far back.

7 hours ago, ZacDaMan72 said:

Is it illegal to tint the front side windows in the UK? I would’ve thought that you’d want to match the tint front to rear - that’s what I did with my Superb 

Pretty much... Yes...   They have to allow 75% of the light through by law which is pretty much the level of the OE tint, meaning no more can be added. 

• Thanks 1