New UK brochure and prices April 2023

In the two years since the launch of the facelift version, the vRS and L&K have risen in price by approx. 10.5%. But at the other end of the scale, the cheapest version (SE Drive now vs. SE then, so not exactly a like for like comparison) has gone up by over 25%.

1 hour ago, skomaz said:

So no manuals...   Just like the Superb... 

But can get diesel versions, unlike Fabia, Kamiq, Scala, (and Enyaq)

Significant price rises in just a few years. Yes it's crappy but no different from most other things we buy. You could argue that used prices have risen as well so that all important 'cost-to-change' remains relatively consistant therefore there's no real impact for most of us.

What I find alarming is here in the UK, how many Kodiaqs now qualify for the luxury car tax. Buy the cheapest grade SE Drive is diesel guise and you might just be able option metallic paint b4 being charged that extra VED.

Standard VED is now £180, but the majority of Kodiaqs sold here will now attract the extra £370 per year. That's £550 per year folks...

One of the deciding factors for my last car was being under that £40k list price. If I were buying the car today and was compelled to pay £550 a year, I wouldn't buy a Kodiaq. Skoda has lost it's mojo.

Edited by kodiaqsportline

Just having a look at the options again.

Sleep pack - It still costs the same £365 as it did back in 2020. But back then the sleep pack included 'acoustic' glass for the rear windows.  When did they drop the acoustic glass option?

3 hours ago, kodiaqsportline said:

Standard VED is now £180, but the majority of Kodiaqs sold here will now attract the extra £370 per year. That's £550 per year folks...

My mistake. That extra tax is £390 from April '23 so annual VED on the majority of new Kodiaqs sold in the UK wil be £570.

There's still no Canton...

And the mad pricing of rear window blinds still exists. £225 for blinds or £200 for a family pack which includes those blinds. There must be some reason behind the continuation of this anomaly but I'm damned if I can even hazard a guess why. 

Family pack - in addtion to the blinds, the door protectors and most useless trash bin ever ( which if bought on it's own has increased from from £30 to £40 ), I see no mention whatsoever in the brochure or the configurator of the electric child lock - the ability to lock/unlock the rear doors from the drivers seat.  Wasn't that one of the main reasons we'd specify the 'family' pack?  So is that another option that's been dropped?

When you start picking your way thru those options, the Kodiaq has become even less of an attraction. And that's before we consider price increases. 

It is funny how they mix up the specs.

Latest SEL shows Virtual Cockpit is standard (I paid £420 I think) and is not shown as an extra anywhere, but plus £495 for electric front seats with memory, yet my car arrived with an electric driver seat only.

1 hour ago, BoxerBoy said:

Latest SEL shows Virtual Cockpit is standard (I paid £420 I think) and is not shown as an extra anywhere, but plus £495 for electric front seats with memory, yet my car arrived with an electric driver seat only.

They've probably got rid of the 'basic' VC and the upgraded VC is now standard.

The electric seats option normally causes confusion. Even the salesman I ordered the car from didn't realise it!   Electric seats ( plural ) means adding an additional passenger seat rather than the two seats. Just another one of these things lost in translation.  The whole VW group used to be guilty of that misunderstanding.

21 hours ago, kodiaqsportline said:

Significant price rises in just a few years. Yes it's crappy but no different from most other things we buy. You could argue that used prices have risen as well so that all important 'cost-to-change' remains relatively consistant therefore there's no real impact for most of us.

What I find alarming is here in the UK, how many Kodiaqs now qualify for the luxury car tax. Buy the cheapest grade SE Drive is diesel guise and you might just be able option metallic paint b4 being charged that extra VED.

One of the deciding factors for my last car was being under that £40k list price. If I were buying the car today and was compelled to pay £550 a year, I wouldn't buy a Kodiaq. Skoda has lost it's mojo.

Government has to replace lost fuel duty with the electrics some way.    Slight tangent but a bit like inheritance tax and stamp duty.  Originally brought in to tax the (VERY) rich, now almost everyone pays.  Horrible, unfair and insidious taxes.

In  a similar way over time, the vast majority of motorists will be paying the "Luxury" car tax premium.

Skoda  realise that compared to competitors, the Kodiaq was a bit of a bargain.  They bumped up the price accordingly.   Now it's not so much of a bargain, but it's still competitive.  When I chose the Kodiaq I compared it to the Allspace and Tarraco and for me it was the best out of those 3 (irrespective of the price).  In fact for my purposes (and I appreciate it's just me), apart from those 3 (and the Honda CRV as an outliner) there were not many options.    (Smallish petrol SUV with lot's of space).

To your point though about it losing it's mojo, then in terms of clear daylight value for money between it and it's competition,  I would tend to agree.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BoxerBoy said:

I said this would happen when they were first introduced.  It's more than likely cheaper to provide the VC than the analogue dials.  A bit like digital watches.  The first batch were expensive new tech that were shown off in jewelry stores.  Now you can get them for a fiver on the market.

• Like 1

On 08/04/2023 at 16:41, kodiaqsportline said:

There's still no Canton...

It still lists it as standard on the L&K page - but yes, no mention in the options page (there's also no mention of Blind Spot Detection in the options, despite still featuring on the "driver assistance" page towards the front).

Sleep pack - It still costs the same £365 as it did back in 2020. But back then the sleep pack included 'acoustic' glass for the rear windows.  When did they drop the acoustic glass option?

When I ordered mine in June 2021 the acoustic glass was still part of the sleep pack option. When it arrived October 2022, it had no acoustic glass. The be fair though, it is very quiet inside. 

And the mad pricing

From what I can tell the pricing for Kodiaq options is typically 10 to 30 times the component cost. E.g. wireless charger is probably a £10 component, they charge £285 for it. Personally I think they should include more options as standard, and reduce the cost of the remaining options. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I ordered a Sportline back in Jan , was told 9-10 month delivery time. The recent price increases will put the OTR price at over £40k by then. I assume I will get hit by the luxury car tax even though the OTR price in Jan was just under the 40k ( including extras). Is that correct?

Could I potentially cancel that order if the dealer can source a few month old equivalent to avoid that scenario?

19 minutes ago, denno said:

I ordered a Sportline back in Jan , was told 9-10 month delivery time. The recent price increases will put the OTR price at over £40k by then. I assume I will get hit by the luxury car tax even though the OTR price in Jan was just under the 40k ( including extras). Is that correct?

Could I potentially cancel that order if the dealer can source a few month old equivalent to avoid that scenario?

Your deal should be locked in at the price point it was in January when you ordered.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, denno said:

The VED date is upon first registration, not initial order date.

It is based on list price (& options) at registration date, not any negotiated price if different to list price.

It is another fiscal drag back door tax rise, as £40k threshold hasn't been increased with inflation.

Your price with the dealer is locked, (although might have small print clause that this doesn't apply to VED and VAT), dealer might absorb the extra first year VED, but will be stuck with the extra £390 for next 5 years.

Edited by SurreyJohn
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, denno said:

As per SurreyJohn. VED is outside the control of your dealer or Skoda, there's nothing they can do about it.  There will be wording to that effect in the T&C of the order you signed.

You need to discuss this with your dealer.

My best guess?  What's the status of the car - have you had a confirmed build date ( notification from Skoda that order has been accepted - i.e. it's in the build process )? If not then the dealer should be able to cancel but may keep your deposit, but if you're buying another car from them then that scenario is very unlikely.

Of course the other question is where did you order the car? Did you do it online / over the phone or did you sign the order at the dealership? 

4 minutes ago, kodiaqsportline said:

As per SurreyJohn. VED is outside the control of your dealer or Skoda, there's nothing they can do about it.  There will be wording to that effect in the T&C of the order you signed.

You need to discuss this with your dealer.

My best guess?  What's the status of the car - have you had a confirmed build date ( notification from Skoda that order has been accepted - i.e. it's in the build process )? If not then the dealer should be able to cancel but may keep your deposit, but if you're buying another car from them then that scenario is very unlikely.

Of course the other question is where did you order the car? Did you do it online / over the phone or did you sign the order at the dealership? 

Thanks. Ordered through the dealer. Although I like the idea of a brand new car, the extra car tax over 5 years knocks out half the discount I negotiated which is a bit of a ball ache

12 minutes ago, denno said:

Thanks. Ordered through the dealer. Although I like the idea of a brand new car, the extra car tax over 5 years knocks out half the discount I negotiated which is a bit of a ball ache

Totally agree with that.  If you'd signed the order outside the dealership premisis then it'd be subject to distance selling regulations therefore cancelation wouldn't be an issue.  Dealers come across this scenario everyday, again it's very unlikely they'd hold a gun to your head.

If you car is near std, that's to say you didn't opt for unpopular options, then even if they're unable to cancel the order, they may even be financially better off selling at a higher price than the discount they gave you. Probably nothing to worry about but best contact them a.s.a.p.

PS  Apologies if you're already aware of this but the 'list price' is different from the 'on-the-road' price that's often listed in UK pricelists,  A more accurate guide to work out if a car qualifies for that extra 'luxury' tax is to look at the P11D value rather than the OTR price. If the P11D value is over £40k then you're stuffed.

PPS.   A tip to anyone reading / interested in this  -  You could be just under the threshold of that extra VED but because you optioned say Traffic Sign Recognition at £105, that may be enough to tip the balance over the £40k mark. So that £105 has potentially cost  £390 x 5years  = £1960     Yikes! 

If you're adding any accessories such as mats or roof racks or furry dice etc, it's worthwhile checking if that affects the list price. All these tyoes things can be added after you've bought the car - i.e. you want to keep your list price as low as possible.   I know two people who were caught out by something as silly as that.   

• Thanks 1

That's what I heard as well, it's the list price not the OTR price. So the RRP for a 1.5 Sportline is currently £39,135 which is under. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Theo5 said:

That's what I heard as well, it's the list price not the OTR price. So the RRP for a 1.5 Sportline is currently £39,135 which is under. 

Correct, the on the road price includes the VED, the VED threshold is calculated by excluding this.

But it does include price of any factory fitted options.

Those that are in the accessory catalogue, can be fitted by the dealer and invoiced separately (even if fitted before collecting), it is silly to have something like a factory fit spare wheel if it just takes you over the £40k.  

Get it as an accessory on different invoice and it doesn't count towards VED.  Here is link to everything that can be an accessory.

https://www.skoda.co.uk/_doc/d0ba0841-dcb0-462f-9c23-21fe72de6185

• Like 1

Just to add that the subject of 'list price' is unbelievably confusing with even the governments own definitions creating grey areas. The best, or rather only way to accuratley know the list rice is ask the dealer for they're  the ones who submit the figure ( whether that figure be right or wrong ! )

I've tried many times to find a definative answer on how to determine list but it's near on impossible as  you're guaranteed to be given conflicting answers.

Most manufacturers don't tend to publlish Delivery charges therefore I've just has a look at my sales receipt which throws something else I hadn't considered into the equation

Back in Nov 2020, the delivery charge inc VAT was £590. However, they also mention a charge of £159 - that was for the two services that came part of the PCP incentive. I haven't a clue if that contributes to list price or not. - answers on a postcard. 🤣 

Because my car was discounted, all the supplier did was give a Total price - which isn't the RRP or OTR or LIST or whatever - it's just the price we negotiated.

All the extras are listed but none of them are costed - each says £0

First year road fund licence was £925 back then.

So even with all the information at hand, I still can't work out the frig'n list price required for VED.  🤪   Luckily back then, the OTR was a whisker under £40k so extra VED was never a concern, but I do sympathise with many Kodiaq buyers today.

• 1 month later...

Quick question, so the brochure was published in April but took effect from the 1st June. Do the adjusted specs mentioned in the new brochure only start appearing for cars built after the 1st June only or cars being delivered from the 1st June onwards? Or could these news specs have started hitting the market anytime after April? *scratches head*

Quite possibly none of the above. The brochure and associated price list is for the new model year cars, which will only go into production after the usual annual summer factory break - I /think/ that's usually some time in July, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. The reason the brochure/prices are effective from 1 June is because you will definitely get a new model year car if you order after that date - and you'll also pay new prices.

If you order earlier in the year, then under normal circumstances, you'd get a current model year at the pre-June price point (except for a short period where things have always overlapped and people have ordered current model year and got new model year for pre-June price, but this was the exception rather than the norm). However, with things the way they are at the moment, anyone ordering at any point this year is likely to be waiting so long they will end up with a new model year car, but for pre-June price. In fact, those who ordered before the January price increase will probably end up getting a new model year car for an even lower price...

16 hours ago, spinnaker said:

Quick question, so the brochure was published in April but took effect from the 1st June. Do the adjusted specs mentioned in the new brochure only start appearing for cars built after the 1st June only or cars being delivered from the 1st June onwards? Or could these news specs have started hitting the market anytime after April? *scratches head*

No, there were two different brochures, the June version has changes, eg L&K spec marked as only available from stock.

There is no change of spec, a replacement model, Kodiaq mark 2 is on its way, so not likely to get significant further updates to old model.