Kodiaq under bonnet sound absorber

My 2022 plate 2.0 TDi doesn't have the sound absorber. It was a pandemic build, so maybe they ran out and didn't bother fitting it? I'd like to fit the correct sound absorber under the bonnet, as the diesel engine is pretty noisy. Can anyone let me know the Skoda part number?

I got a third party one from AliExpress that fitted perfectly and came with the correct clips.

The link is now dead but you might want to search there too.

This was removed due to it being a fire risk. Skoda were supposed to issue a notification when resolved for retro fitting. I'm in the same boat on a 22 plate.

• Confused 1

Engine covers of some 2.0TSI were removed because a Safety Recall was started and now those that had their cover removed by dealerships should be getting new ones.  'Fire risk'.

Insulation / sound deadening on the underside of the bonnet of TDI's was not removed or deleted because of 'fire risk;. 

Screenshot 2023-05-11 07.18.39.png

Edited by toot

Thanks for the replies. When the TDi DPF regen is happening, it gets really hot at the back of the engine bay. I can imagine there might be a fire risk from the sound absorber if the cooling fan fails. But @tootis saying the sound absorber was not removed from the TDi due to fire risk. Maybe Skoda were saving cost or simply out of stock when they built mine?

Is there a part number for the sound absorber so I can get a genuine part from Skoda? Some aftermarket sites are suggesting 565863831, but I'm not sure that is for 2022 Kodiaq. Anyone have access to EKTA?

Thanks @toot. I checked DVLA. It doesn't specify the engine type of the affected vehicles. When I put my reg no. in there it says no outstanding recalls - maybe because mine was already done before it was sold to me. I'd like to have the sound absorber because the TDi is a noisy beast, but I don't want to fit a fire hazard and invalidate insurance. Here is the DVLA recall details:

SKODA KODIAQ 2022

This vehicle has 1 recall.

Recall number R/2022/075

Recall date 23-03-2022

Recall type Safety recall

Reason for recall

On affected vehicles engine compartment covers were fitted that regardless of use (very sporty driving style or poor road condition) and operating period could come loose from their attachment.

How to check if the vehicle is recalled

Contact the local SKODA dealership or manufacturer. You will not need to pay for anything involving the recall.

How the manufacturer will repair

On all affected vehicles the engine compartment cover has to be removed.

Number of affected vehicles

Are Skoda going to provide a non-hazardous sound absorber, or is it simply removed leaving the owner with a noisy car?

23 minutes ago, Skodder said:

Are Skoda going to provide a non-hazardous sound absorber

No. Pretty sure there was a thread on here about model year changes - quite possibly with the introduction of the facelift version - where it was said it was being removed, almost certainly as a cost-cutting measure. So I very much doubt there is a part number for the facelift model if it never existed in the first place.

The engine cover that is missing from the 2.0TSI engines, or were removed from early facelift deliveries through that recall, is an entirely separate thing as toot says.

Thanks. The facelift bonnet has mounting features suggesting a sound absorber can be fitted. Can anyone confirm for a fact (EKTA?) if the 2022 TDi diseasel should have the under-bonnet sound absorber or not?

The part that is missing is my brain!! 😜

I opened the bonnet just to verify the mounting features were indeed present and found instead that the elves had snuck in overnight and very neatly fitted the sound absorber. I must have dreamed that it was missing, or confused mine with another vehicle. Duh! Thanks all for trying to help and sorry for all the fuss!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/05/2023 at 16:18, toot said:

@PeterGu is this the insulation on the bonnet or the engine cover you asked about.  There are engine covers now for the cars that had them removed because of the Recall action. 

I received this response today from Skoda in respect of engine covers:

"We do apologise for the delay in replacing the engine covers, the fault is currently being dealt with and as soon as they can find an advanced engine cover all Škoda Retailers will be updated and will inform customers to book in vehicle to have these covers replaced. We are sincerely sorry for the delay in this current matter."

4 hours ago, toot said:

@PeterGu & who actually provided that action for Skoda UK Customer Services or SEAT, VW or Audi. 

It is the mickey muppet road show crowd who can be anyplace any time on their keyboard.

That's so unfair.  There's an adage in computing circles - GIGO which stands for Garbage In = Garbage out.

Don't rubbish a 3rd party when all they're doing is reading the information supplied to them. Unless the person is illiterate, the likelyhood is it's the information supplier who's at fault.

4 hours ago, PeterGu said:

The answer actually came from Skoda. messaged them on Twitter.

Your right, the info will obviously have originated from Skoda.   Even if the call centre was in-house, the person you speak to can hardly pop down to the production line and ask a question. If you speak to a Skoda employee whether that be in a call centre, the dealer principal or the Job experience temp,  they too are only as good as the information they've been supplied with.

Blame the message not the messenger.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kodiaqsportline said:

Don't rubbish a 3rd party when all they're doing is reading the information supplied to them. Unless the person is illiterate

Is the "Illiterate Mickey Muppet Roadshow" acceptable?

On 23/05/2023 at 16:18, toot said:

@PeterGu is this the insulation on the bonnet or the engine cover you asked about.  There are engine covers now for the cars that had them removed because of the Recall action. 

I have noticed that you have said that engine covers are available for those cars that had them removed or were delivered without one. I would really appreciate knowing where you have obtained this information, as in my personal experience they are not.
I have been in contact with Skoda U.K. and the main dealer about my missing cover for months, and I’ve been informed repeatedly that they do not know when or even IF replacement covers will ever be provided.

I even suggested to Skoda U.K. that they contact Skoda HQ for clarification and they replied that they had no direct contact with Skoda U.K. (conversation recorded) and that Skoda U.K. obtain their information from the dealer network which to me is unbelievable.
The engine covers were removed about 12 months ago and for Skoda U.K. to have not a clue regarding resolving this issue is totally unacceptable to me and no doubt others.This is my third new Skoda in five years, however due to woeful customer service it is very likely to be my last!

Edited by Coburg