WARNING! Bosch oil filters for 1.2 tsi EA111 CBZA/CBZB engines

This warning applies to all models fitted with the 1.2tsi EA111 chaincam engines, includes Fabia, Octavia,Yeti, Rapid, Spaceback maybe some others. Also a wide range of other VAG models VW, Seat, Audi with the 1.2tsi engines

Today I picked up a Bosch Filter from Eurocarparts for our 2011 1.2tsi Octavia. Checked it before leaving the shop and it is the wrong style of filter. The sealing arrangement on this Bosch filter is for the 1.4tsi engine and is NOT suitable for the 1.2tsi. Also it is a Black filter and not Silver indicating it has a paper filter element and not the synthetic filter that is specified for tsi engines and is the only type suitable for an extended serivce regime (2yr/18600 miles)

Bosch filters are rebranded filters made by other manufacturers and have appeared in this case to have changed from MANN made in Germany to another manufacturer now made in France.

MANN filters being the OE manufacturer for VAG supplying VAG branded filters to dealers.

This may explain the issue experience of @Dazl1212 and his knocking engine

Now I know he definitely had the incorrect filter type fitted. So probably had low oil pressure damaging his engine. He ended up getting shut of his car

Bosch evidently have not checked their new supplier is shipping the correct part. They are using the 1.2tsi part no but supplying a 1.4tsi part.

What it should look like, note the rubber sleeve

501440607.jpg.3574e6474771c8f3f8e8771e460c0875.jpg

This is what the Bosch filter ECP supplied looked like except it was in Black and had the 1.2tsi part no printed on the box501440477.jpg.9599507fb6098c047cb427075cf53ce8.jpg

For reference this is the correct MANN OE filter That sleeve is important. Even Mahle in their video I posted elsewhere warn not to confuse the 2 filter styles.

501440609-A.jpg.7012d6e517b30edd7facd0c9f4b32e85.jpg

Genuine VAG filter

59d5f9b29f461.jpg.271ad7e5c4c4311a1cbc3270f6af5d7f.jpg

Edited by xman
  • Like 4

Any prizes for guessing what the reaction was from ECP! 🤣

35 minutes ago, xman said:

Today I picked up a Bosch Filter from Eurocarparts

That was your first mistake, euro's hardly supply the correct anything for any application!

Whats the registration for the vehicle you are trying to get the filter for, id be interested to look into it myself and see if its a supplier issue or eurocarparts issue. 

• Like 1

Best just to ask for any old filter out of their stock, the odds of being given the right one are higher!!!!!

I checked the part no on the box, it was the correct part no. as per Bosch catalogue. But knowing what to expect I immediately knew it was the wrong style. It was almost much shorter than the Mann/VAG filter.

Many on this and other forums use ECP, they are usually a reliable supplier if you stick to the quality brands. This warning is for anyone with EA111 1.2tsi engines, whether doing DIY or using independents, many of which will use Bosch parts and not have a clue that what they are using is wrong as it seems to have a correct part no on the box/filter.

I guess that hundreds have been fitted. And how many have had engines trashed, written off or had expensive unnecessary repairs

Problem lies with Bosch. This lack of QA when they change supplier calls into question whether to risk using Bosch aftermarket parts at all. I won't from now on.

Edited by xman
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, ApertureS said:

Whats the registration for the vehicle you are trying to get the filter for, id be interested to look into it myself and see if its a supplier issue or eurocarparts issue. 

I won't give you our reg no but ts a 2011 1.2tsi Octavia Estate with CBZB engine, same filter is used on our now deceased 2013 1.2tsi Fabia estate with CBZA engine.

50 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Any prizes for guessing what the reaction was from ECP! 🤣

They exchanged it for a Mann Filter straight away no argument. Not sure if there would be any issue raised with their QA I have always used Mann oil filters without any problems but they have got more expensive recently.

I have used Bosch oil filters for our fabia 1.2htp and again this looks like a Mann rebrand and so no isuues 

Edited by xman

22 minutes ago, xman said:

I won't give you our reg no but ts a 2011 1.2tsi Octavia Estate with CBZB engine, same filter is used on our now deceased 2013 1.2tsi Fabia estate with CBZA engine.

So the reason for this is your vehicle is on the crossover year so there are 2 options basically...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, xman said:

Problem lies with Bosch. This lack of QA when they change supplier calls into question whether to risk using Bosch aftermarket parts at all. I won't from now on.

I quite agree, yet another company trading on their (once) good name to sell cheap pattern parts carrying their name and packaging.

I'm a Bosch Fanboy when it comes to mains and battery power tools, for a long time now they have been made in Malaysia then China but always to the strictest of Bosch quality standards, when people talk of cheap rubbish coming out of China I use Bosch as the example that it does not need to be so if a company wishes to continue having a good reputation for quality.

It's a crying shame that another division is treading the path of so many other once quality brands that were bought out by companies wanting to capitalise on their reputation by selling the cheapest products they can source and to hell with quality, its Bosch as a whole who will get the bad name.

Edited by J.R.

I changed my oil and filter last week and my 1.2tsi CBZA engine has been making a knocking rattling noise occasionally. It starts up quiet and makes the noise when hot and ticking over, a few revs and it quietens down again. It doesn't do it all the while. I've had my head in tatters with trying to figure out what went wrong. Thought it was the oil. 

I purchased oil and filter from Micksgarage.com based in Dublin. It was a Bosch F 026 407 183 it indeed has that on the box and printed on the filter itself. So have taken the oil filter out and it is indeed a Bosch F 026 407 181 , incorrectly labelled as a 183, as you describe without the rubber thingy.

I have only done a couple of hundred miles with this wrong filter , just hope no long term damage.

Thank you Xman for alerting us all to this Bosch **** up mess, which could have proven expensive.

• Like 1

Yes that reflects my experience. Bosch are at fault here. I think youll also find that supplied filter is much smaller than either the correct or the incorrect 1.4tsi spec part should be. So definitely not OE spec.

I was doubly annoyed when I checked GSF carparts which I normally do but for some reason skipped this time only to find out  now that all parts from ECP are 50% dearer than GSF. E.g genuine MANN W712/94 oil filter @ ECP £13.49 @GSF £8.34

Similar difference across all parts, in case of Bosch spark plugs for our HTP, half the price! And showing the correct parts not a confusing list of about 7 or 8 different parts some of which are not remotely suitable.

Irony is I pass GSF to drive to ECP!!

Might return unused items to ECP for a refund.

Edited by xman

@xman GSF are usually my preference just cos they're the relative underdogs.

Some info from the parts catalogue that may be of interest to folks with this engine.

Part number for genuine filter for CBZA/CBZB engined mk2 Fabia built up to 08/03/2010 was 03C115561B, which was dropped on 1st Dec 2013 in favour of 03C115561J, currently retailing at £15.86 inc VAT from Skoda dealerships.

For same engines in Fabias built from 09/03/2010, the original part number was 03C115561D, dropped on 1st April 2014, replaced by 03C115561H, £13.56 inc VAT currently.

If you're not sure which side of these build dates your car was manufactured, message me with your VIN and I can check. 

Edit: by the way, looking at those two current part numbers, those who have been ill-advised about how VW Group part numbers work might be tempted to get completely the wrong idea and think "J comes after H in the alphabet so that must be the latest, best version to use for the later cars". That is not how VW Group part numbers work, see here: A common error with VAG part numbers - Handy Topics & Guides - BRISKODA

You need the correct part number for the build date of the car, not something 'close'.

Edited by Breezy_Pete
Part number structure caution
  • Like 1

The information I gave is from the parts catalogue, about (oil filter) part numbers. Yours appears to be about fill volume. Not necessarily any correlation. In fact, judging by your dates, there isn't any.

Edited by Breezy_Pete
clarification

The part number of the dipstick changed at the time of your info, up to 25/05/2011 it was 03F115611D;

03F115611E from the next day onwards. That seems more relevant to your info.

The change to the non drip Silver filters were that summer.

The members that reported issues with dealership services and the wrong oil filters fitted to there 1.2 tsi's were in 2012. 

?

What date did Skoda / VW change the timing chain tensioners was that also June 2011? 

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/301555-help-genuine-oil-filter-part-number-12tsi-monte-105bhp

Edited by toot

5 hours ago, stevoablett said:

Here are a couple of pics of the Bosch F 026 407 183 which looks more like a Bosch F 026 407 181. Am I correct?

IMG_20230524_092729.jpg

20230524_093042.jpg

Looks like you've overtightened that filter and so damaged the draindown seal. That in itself leads to low oil pressure. Hand tight only, don't overdo it! On no account use a tool to tighten it.

5 minutes ago, toot said:

The change to the non drip Silver filters were that summer.

The members that reported issues with dealership services and the wrong oil filters fitted to there 1.2 tsi's were in 2012. 

Google images of genuine filters of the two part numbers I've given appear silver in both cases. not sure what the difference is, but there clearly is one, or they'd have the same part number.

OIL FILTER 03C115561J New Genuine Part | Deutsche Parts (deutsche-parts.co.uk)

OIL FILTER 03C115561H New Genuine Part | Deutsche Parts (deutsche-parts.co.uk)

19 minutes ago, toot said:

What date did Skoda / VW change the timing chain tensioners was that also June 2011? 

No, October 23/24th 2011 was changeover for that.

Edited by Breezy_Pete
  • Thanks 1

Xman

1 hour ago, xman said:

Looks like you've overtightened that filter and so damaged the draindown seal. That in itself leads to low oil pressure. Hand tight only, don't overdo it! On no account use a tool to tighten it.

Xman, yes only ever hand tighten the oil filter and lube up the rubber seal and clean the metal surface it sits on. Perhaps I'll just tighten it finger tight in the future. But surely that's academic if it's the wrong filter? I've  now ordered a Mann filter I'm done with Bosch.

1 hour ago, Breezy_Pete said:

Google images of genuine filters of the two part numbers I've given appear silver in both cases. not sure what the difference is, but there clearly is one, or they'd have the same part number.

OIL FILTER 03C115561J New Genuine Part | Deutsche Parts (deutsche-parts.co.uk)

OIL FILTER 03C115561H New Genuine Part | Deutsche Parts (deutsche-parts.co.uk)

The reason they changed to silver is to denote use of synthetic filter media

932456972_Screenshot_20230524-1658152.thumb.png.7148863b2cebb17608fa241c3e051c5a.png

Edited by xman