Stop start rarely works.

TerryJP

I have a 3+ year old Kamiq 1.0 DSG, Over the past year, the stop start system rarely operates, even on a long run when the car was at full operating temperature.

Does anyone else have the same experience, or have any ideas what may be the problem?

Mine is the same. I've even tried charging the battery fully and it still works when it feels like it. I got the dealer to look at it on the last service and they said it was operating correctly. Bizarre thing is that it works more often at night with the lights on than during the daytime. Just really weird. 

You chaps can’t have anything else to worry about.  Stop/start has been erratic in every car I’ve ever had, from my current Kamiq, to a new Audi A3 to a new facelift Peugeot 208 and one or two In between.

Ive never worried about a system that requires all the planets to align before it works properly, life is far too short😂

Mine works sometimes, and sometimes it doesn’t.  Luckily (or not) I have far more important things to worry about.

I cannot see why it should make a difference - but try something!   When I first acquired my Kamiq - my first automatic - I too noticed that the stop-start rarely operated, although it didn't particularly worry me. However, when one day I changed my body position whilst stationary and unintentionally pressed harder on the brake pedal, the engine suddenly stopped!  After experimenting a few times, it seemed to be the case that if you only applied light pressure that nevertheless was enough to hold the car stationary the stop-start would be inoperative, but apply more pressure and it came into play.

It does not make sense to me, plus it is a pain in the arse pressing so hard that it is uncomfortable, so most of the time I don't bother.

• 2 weeks later...

I have found two conditions where it works best - in traffic towards the end of a journey - i.e. when the car is fully warmed up - and when you have been "drifting" along in "disconnect" mode and come to a stop from that.

Like lastgasp, I have also found that pressing the brake pedal after stopping sometimes does the trick. 

One thing to remember (or maybe to know) is that stop/start is very sensitive to the demand made on the battery.  I have noticed that stop/start can kick in but id I then, say, turn on an indicator or the dashcam starts charging, the engine starts up again because it has felt the extra demand made on the battery.

On 27/06/2023 at 20:02, carefree said:

You chaps can’t have anything else to worry about.  Stop/start has been erratic in every car I’ve ever had, from my current Kamiq, to a new Audi A3 to a new facelift Peugeot 208 and one or two In between.

Ive never worried about a system that requires all the planets to align before it works properly, life is far too short😂

Mine works sometimes, and sometimes it doesn’t.  Luckily (or not) I have far more important things to worry about.

Not sure which post you were referring to, neither I or others have mentioned being worried about this issue!

I have facility which doesn't appear to work as specified and was asking fellow owners if they had experienced the same issue, I don't need replies from someone who doesn't know what they are talking about and who just wants to criticize genuine enquiries.

I was once told if you have nothing to contribute to a debate - say nothing, you might want to try it, because I, for one, am not interested in your fatuous comments.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TerryJP said:

Not sure which post you were referring to, neither I or others have mentioned being worried about this issue!

I have facility which doesn't appear to work as specified and was asking fellow owners if they had experienced the same issue, I don't need replies from someone who doesn't know what they are talking about and who just wants to criticize genuine enquiries.

I was once told if you have nothing to contribute to a debate - say nothing, you might want to try it, because I, for one, am not interested in your fatuous comments.

Firstly, my reply was intended to play down the whole “stop/start” phenomenon and was supposed to reassure people that for it to work so many variables have to be right…..that was all.  I don’t appreciate semi aggressive responses for comments I made that meant no harm or offence.

And no, I DONT profess to know the ins and outs of a system that is as random as stop/start BUT I’ve had enough cars with this system to know that it’ll work when everything is right and won’t when it’s not.

So, to protect yourself from offence (when none was meant) just don’t read my posts in future, simple as that.

I was once told that you’ll never win an argument with a fool, so let’s leave it there and may our paths never cross on here again.

Have an amazing day👍

Edited by carefree
  • Like 4