Changing battery in key makes it not working

Hey guys

I have 2018 Superb, which prompted i changed the battery on the key the other day.

I had some crappy store bought CR2032 at home, so i changed the battery - and after that it wont work.

Does the battery quality effect the functionality or am i doing other things wrong?

I have tried to syncronize it again, and it wont start if the key is near the start button.

What can I do? I would really not want to go to my mechanic and pay premium dollar for that.

1. measure voltage of new battery

2. check side + -

3. test with old battery, low voltage warning comes several weeks before it dies

haven't had problems even with few months outdated from Ali,

just they lasted shorter time, ~13 months instead ~22

This happened to me when I replaced the batteries in both keys fobs not long after purchase.

I had to synchronise both key fobs one by one.

From p57 of the manual:

Synchronising the remote control

If the buttons on the remote control key have been operated several times beyond the effective range of the system or the battery in the remote control key has been replaced and the vehicle cannot be unlocked using the remote control, the key must be synchronised.

› Press any button on the remote control key.

› Unlock the door with the key in the lock cylinder within 1 minute of pressing the button.

Edited by Jonboy984
Typos
  • Like 4

• 7 months later...
22 hours ago, donalocallaghan said:

Some coin batteries have a sticker that must be removed. Fooled me too.

That and the bitter coating on some (certainly duracell, maybe others) seems to make a difference too. 

4 hours ago, travs said:

That and the bitter coating on some (certainly duracell, maybe others) seems to make a difference too. 

The bitter taste patch on Duracell to stop babies/ toddlers swallowing them should not be removed and work fine in both of my Kodiaq fobs.

IMG_8746.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kenny R said:

The bitter taste patch on Duracell to stop babies/ toddlers swallowing them should not be removed and work fine in both of my Kodiaq fobs.

IMG_8746.jpeg

Not for me to decide whether anything should or should not be removed. I didn't know it could - but I have plenty of equipment that is sensitive to it; Heart Rate Monitors, bike speed and cadence sensors, a few kids toys. Have moved over to Energiser just to avoid having to deal with it.

2025 is 20 mm diameter by 2.5 mm thick, 2032 is 20 mm diameter by 3.2 mm thick.  Many seem to be able to fit the thicker battery in remotes and it might / should? last longer (if it fits without issues) but both are nominal 3V.

As it's so very easy to synchronise the (non-KESSY at least) remote key fobs I've had with cars I always synchronise them after changing battery(ies) just in case (belt, braces and bit of string type thinking) and never have a "spare" key instead alternate the use of both keys, I swap every 6-months but other alternates are available, this way the remotes, batteries, keyblades and locks all get more even wear plus you know where the other key is (rather than mislaid) and that it should be fully operational when you need it, opposite of carrying a spare wheel in the boot for years and it's under inflated or flat when you actually need it.

I normally link to the relevant Owner's Manual for specific instructions (battery changing, synchronising) but once again the Skoda Owner's Manuals site has  problem.